Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEY PATS FANS WHY SIGN OTIS SMITH ?

Veteran
    NFLLINK

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

All League
    Simple: Bellechick likes BURNT TOAST! :lol:

Veteran
    Did you see the end of the superbowl with Shawn Mayer and Antawn Harris playing safety after Harrison and Wilson left the game?

That's why, IMO.

Veteran
    I'll always love Otis for that fumble he returned to clinch the 97 AFC Championship game.....

All League
    At first blush, I haven't a clue, since the Pats' goal recently, has been to get younger and faster on defense. On second thought, Otis is someone who plays the cover 2 corner very well, even still, and may provide some veteran depth at both safety and corner

On another hand it could be just a favor for a player who needs a shot, and has loyally served a coach for a long time. At any rate in NE, we aren't trying to read too much into this move. FILE UNDER - It can't hurt at this stage

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Huh?? Isn't Otis like 39?? :blink:

Veteran
    Originally posted by FOXJET@Apr 13 2004, 04:17 PM
    NFLLINK

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
    Patriots | O. Smith Signs - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:38:08 -0700

Patriots.com reports the New England Patriots have signed free agent CB Otis Smith (Lions) to a contract. Terms of the deal were undisclosed. Smith spent last season with the Detroit Lions but had previously played for the Patriots at two other periods during his 15-year career.

Rookie
    from Espn.

The Patriots signed veteran CB Otis Smith, less than a year after the team reluctantly released him as he struggled to recover from a shoulder injury. Smith, 38, spent last season with the Lions, where he played in all 16 games, starting the final 13. He had 59 tackles, an interception and 1.5 sacks.

Why take him?

Beasley made more sense than him

Veteran
    He knows the system and will come in playing safety which is a sure bet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

the difference between the jets and pats is if the jets signed him, he'd be battling for a starting job- with the pats, he's just a nice insurance option.. okay, adequete insurance option

Veteran
    Hey is a Ray Mickens type player with more physical tool and some years...

Waterboy
    you can tell by my username that i am happy...he is back home with someone who appreciates....him
    he took all the heat for the jets in the days that glenn never got thrown at...
    he tutors the young guys better than coaches can...and..well i could go on..
    and if the jets had him...he should start...in that bunch...he would stand out..
    anyway thanks for the news it made my evening...

This is because Ty Law is getting the boot. Otis Smith is a veteran that can hold the fort for a little while as Samuel and Wilson continue to mature. Don't be surprised to see BB pull off that Sean Taylor trade now.

Bitter
    The writing is on the wall. Ty Law will be traded and our starting corners will be O-T-I-S and "The Other TY" Poole. But seriously. I'm glad to see him back. He's 38 years old but he can still play. Albeit will at best be at nickel if even that. There's also talk of us bringing back Buckley.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by huskeralk@Apr 13 2004, 06:07 PM
    The writing is on the wall. Ty Law will be traded and our starting corners will be O-T-I-S and "The Other TY" Poole. But seriously. I'm glad to see him back. He's 38 years old but he can still play. Albeit will at best be at nickel if even that. There's also talk of us bringing back Buckley.
    Husker when Otis was here there were Games you wanted
    to strangle him and others you loved him!! One thing with
    Otis he's never boring!! He will be 39 in OCT and I think the
    Pats would be better served with youth! I don't think all of
    Pat Nation is crazy about this signing...

Veteran
    Come on people....Wake UP!!!

Ottis was signed to provide depth at FS. He could probably still play a little CB in a pinch but his real value is at FS backing up Eugene Wilson.

As for Sean Taylor, I think it's the exact opposite. Resigning Ottis is a sign that we WON'T be trading up for Taylor. If we draft Taylor there'd be no need for Ottis.

As it is, I think we'll end up drafting a CB and RB at #21 & #32.

All League
    OTIS is probably TC fodder. He'll compete for a backup/dime back job, mentor the young 'uns, and maybe have a 50/50 shot of being in a Pats uni come September.

Anyone who thinks Otis is being signed to be one of the Pats top 3 CBs is dead wrong.

As depth/TC fodder/mentor it's not a bad signing, assuming it's at the minimum.

All Pro
    Originally posted by savage69@Apr 13 2004, 04:05 PM
    Huh?? Isn't Otis like 39?? :blink:
    You must mean 93!

Bitter
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Apr 13 2004, 05:49 PM
    Anyone who thinks Otis is being signed to be one of the Pats top 3 CBs is dead wrong.

As depth/TC fodder/mentor it's not a bad signing, assuming it's at the minimum.
    He was signed somewhere in the $760,000 area I could look it up but I'm too lazy. Don't count the old man out though. He had a pretty darn good year for the Lions last year. I think there is a good chance he sees time in the Nickel slot.

All Pro
    Pyper

If we were able to draft Taylor or Jones for that matter. O-T-I-S would still useful as a back-up.

This allows Ty to be traded and Wilson plays opposite Poole and Harrison and Jones/Taylor at safety.

We would have Samuel as a Nickelback, Whomever is drafted and O-T-I-S would be a nice back-up for safety and corner.