Thread: derrick straight

Veteran
    the real question to me is how did derrick straight fall so far? i had him at a late first to early second rounder. but a mid third round pick is that a joke or whats the dilly? i realize he didnt have the greatest 40 time but still...

dont get me wrong im really glad he did, but am i missing something? if im not this would have to be the steal of the draft!

All Pro
    Can't really figure this one out, either. I had Strait rated as the best overall CB in the draft. Hall and Robinson are better athletes but, right now, Strait is the better player. He was a great player in college, not good, great. He consistently played well against the very best WRs in college, guys who are now 1st round picks. If the Jets had traded down to the bottom of the 1st round, I think they might well have picked Strait and I would have been fairly happy with that. By adding the most pro-ready CB in the draft in the 3rd round, the Jets have an absolute 100% solid gold steal.

The only reason I can see that he fell is the 4.5 he ran at the combine. Gamble ran even slower, is no-where near as accomplished as a CB and ended up a 1st round pick. I still can't figure that one out.

No matter, I'll enjoy watching 'slow' Strait having a great career and 0.15 seconds faster guys like Hall and Robinson struggle to cover pro-level receivers.

All League
    I think Matt Ware was CB/S that fell because of an average 40 time. Ahmad Carrol went a little bit early to Green Bay because of a good 40 time. I think that recovery speed is rated over performance at this time, we will see. Someone made a great point that the Justin McCarins trade was justified, by getting Strait in the third round..I certainly would have been very happy to pick up Strait in the second round...to get him in the third...wow

Hall Of Fame
    honestly we'll never know so I say who gives a damn, I'm just thrilled to have him

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Why was Owens a 3rd rd pick?? Why was Joe Klecko a 6th rd
    pick?? Why was Joe Montana a 3rd round pick?? Why is the Sky
    Blue!! Why did some many Teams pass on Marino or Randy Moss!
    Like Mean Bro says; who gives a damn, I'm just thrilled to have him
    also!!

All Pro
    I really like Strait. He's a solid cover guy, even without the great speed. He should have been a late 1st - early 2nd. Getting him where we did may be the defining moment of Bradway's draft. If we can put 2 big rear ends in front of Vilma, and let him do his thing, this will take a lot of pressure off the secondary, and Strait will be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by mbn007@Apr 26 2004, 08:51 AM
    I really like Strait. He's a solid cover guy, even without the great speed. He should have been a late 1st - early 2nd. Getting him where we did may be the defining moment of Bradway's draft. If we can put 2 big rear ends in front of Vilma, and let him do his thing, this will take a lot of pressure off the secondary, and Strait will be fine.
    you're right the only position we didn't take care of was a run stopping DT, if not June 1st then that will probably be our target next year

TomShane
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Apr 26 2004, 08:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Apr 26 2004, 08:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Apr 26 2004, 08:51 AM
    I really like Strait. He&#39;s a solid cover guy, even without the great speed. He should have been a late 1st - early 2nd. Getting him where we did may be the defining moment of Bradway&#39;s draft. If we can put 2 big rear ends in front of Vilma, and let him do his thing, this will take a lot of pressure off the secondary, and Strait will be fine.
    you&#39;re right the only position we didn&#39;t take care of was a run stopping DT, if not June 1st then that will probably be our target next year [/b][/quote]
    And guard

All Pro
    Originally posted by TomShane+Apr 26 2004, 07:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Apr 26 2004, 07:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@Apr 26 2004, 08:56 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007
    @Apr 26 2004, 08:51 AM
    I really like Strait. He&#39;s a solid cover guy, even without the great speed. He should have been a late 1st - early 2nd. Getting him where we did may be the defining moment of Bradway&#39;s draft. If we can put 2 big rear ends in front of Vilma, and let him do his thing, this will take a lot of pressure off the secondary, and Strait will be fine.

you&#39;re right the only position we didn&#39;t take care of was a run stopping DT, if not June 1st then that will probably be our target next year
    And guard [/b][/quote]
    Hey Tom, if I remember correctly, you have been a big fan of Strait for quite a while. What are your comments on why he went in the 3rd?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by TomShane+Apr 26 2004, 08:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Apr 26 2004, 08:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@Apr 26 2004, 08:56 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007
    @Apr 26 2004, 08:51 AM

you&#39;re right the only position we didn&#39;t take care of was a run stopping DT, if not June 1st then that will probably be our target next year
    And guard [/b][/quote]
    lets see where these tackles end up we will definately have some compettition at teh position between

Nimmo
    Moore
    Knish
    Goodwin
    Fuata
    Jones
    Cavka
    Smith

there&#39;s gotta be two guys in that mix that want it, nahmeans???

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by mbn007@Apr 26 2004, 09:03 AM
    Hey Tom, if I remember correctly, you have been a big fan of Strait for quite a while.
    TS hasn&#39;t been &#39;strait&#39; for quite some time Mark

Veteran
    If he fell because the Senior Bowl that is crazy, I think he tweaked his hamstring or whatever. His Pro-Day#&#39;s: ran his 40s in 4.55 and 4.52, the short shuttle in 4.1 and the three-cone drill 6.65. He had a 35-inch vertical jump and his broad jump was 9-11.
    definitely dropped him but I think he still had his injury...

Anyway, go do search on this guy and you read nothing but praise about his play from everywhere...

there was talk that the reason he went so low was some scouts said he was as good as he will be. their meaning was the others had a lot more upside at the next level. this will just feed his motivation. great pick and in my opinion a solid draft and a great offseason.

All League
    I think he fell to us because of the 40 time, I think people in the NFL think because the speed receivers are so much of a factor in NFL right now they need to have CB matching up with them. I also have to think that after the 3rd round teams felt they have to address other needs outside of CB. This is a great pick up, and I think in regards to the OT or line, that Adrien Jones will be converted to a guard in time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bradway said that he was desperately trying to trade up in the 3rd round, as he realized Strait was obviously still there-He could get no takers, though.

Fortunately, hopefully, for once, Strait still fell to us.