Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the NEXT QB bust? Discussed on

Hall Of Fame
    http://www.braintypes.com/#6

Pretty interesting discussion this morning on Mike & Mike regarding brain types of QBs and how they can be used to predict who will ultimately bust and who will succeed (from some guy at braintypes.com).

Pre-draft, they had Ryan Leaf nailed to a "T", thought with his brain type he would totally bust, but that Peyton had the brain type to ultimately succeed.

Thinks that Eli does NOT have the same brain-type as Peyton, but with what he has, he won't bust, may end up as a pro-bowler, but will not be Peyton.

INTERSTINGLY--he said there is ANOTHER very highly touted QB that they have studied and have pegged as a total BUST, but they won't be finished with their findings for 2-3 weeks, at which time they will disclose who they think it is.

Could be total crap psycho-babble.

But who do YOU think is that next bust?

My guess is either Michael Vick or Carson Palmer (and Palmer, only because they have a picture of him on their site).

Originally posted by JStokes@May 7 2004, 10:14 AM

Pretty interesting discussion this morning on Mike & Mike regarding brain types of QBs and how they can be used to predict who will ultimately bust and who will succeed (from some guy at braintypes.com).

Pre-draft, they had Ryan Leaf nailed to a "T", thought with his brain type he would totally bust, but that Peyton had the brain type to ultimately succeed.

Thinks that Eli does NOT have the same brain-type as Peyton, but with what he has, he won't bust, may end up as a pro-bowler, but will not be Peyton.

INTERSTINGLY--he said there is ANOTHER very highly touted QB that they have studied and have pegged as a total BUST, but they won't be finished with their findings for 2-3 weeks, at which time they will disclose who they think it is.

My guess is either Michael Vick or Carson Palmer (and Palmer, only because they have a picture of him on their site).
    J.P. Losman

Veteran
    I'll go with Palmer....only one season in college worth a damn and is over-hyped IMO, Vick is the real deal and Philip Rivers is going to surprise all

All Pro
    Vick? If he can stay away from injury, which will be hard from him hes got to full package... jhe's already proven himself to be a talented NFL qb

Eli shouldn't be a total bust, but starting him in NY, in behind that line... that's playing with fire... dangerous propsition

I will guess that Philip Rivers is the guy they are talking about.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Batmans A Scientist@May 7 2004, 10:34 AM
    Vick? If he can stay away from injury, which will be hard from him hes got to full package... jhe's already proven himself to be a talented NFL qb

This wasn't an analysis of a player's physical attributes, just whether he has the head to take it to a very high level in the NFL.

Because Vick has played a few good games does not, to me, proven that he will be a successful long-term player (and I think with his propensity to scramble- he'll be out of this league in less than 5 years because of injury).

I'm just not sure he has the head for it.

I could easily be wrong.

Banned
    Carson palmer, Couch, The Ravens Qb (not Anthony Wright)...these are my picks for busts (although most would say Couch is currently already a bust)...

LL

All League
    Originally posted by JStokes@May 7 2004, 10:14 AM

i'll say philip rivers.

Banned
    I disagree. I saw a TON of NC State games...and Rivers has that Moxie that makes good QB's Great...that never give up attitude....he is gonna be good...

LL

TomShane
    Mike Golic discussing "brain type" is like anybody from Nebraska discussing "soap type."

Banned
    Originally posted by TomShane@May 7 2004, 12:28 PM
    Mike Golic discussing "brain type" is like anybody from Nebraska discussing "soap type."
    True...Golic must smell like A un-airconditioned butcher's shop in the summer.....peeee ewww!!!

LL

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@May 7 2004, 11:37 AM
    I disagree. I saw a TON of NC State games...and Rivers has that Moxie that makes good QB's Great...that never give up attitude....he is gonna be good...

LL
    Yea, his brain type must rank high. His brain kept telling him to throw to that future Jet ! woot!

Rookie
    I mis-read the topic line initially and was wondering who Brian Types was and why I had never heard of him playing QB.

Banned
    If he's talking about one of the three highly touted QB's in this draft, I would guess he's talking about Roethlisberger

Manning & Rivers both have a huge advantage over BR in regards to the bust factor

Rivers is the son of a coach {like Chad} who was raised on all of the nuances ... Manning the same with his dad and older brother ... both of these cats are more prepared to play QB in the NFL than your average draftee

BR has no such advantage ... while he can be every bit as good as the other two {has the ability}, his bust factor is substantially higher IMHO

Again, I like BR and think he's a terrific prospect ... just think his bust factor is higher than Rivers & Manning

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@May 7 2004, 01:05 PM
    If he's talking about one of the three highly touted QB's in this draft, I would guess he's talking about Roethlisberger

Manning & Rivers both have a huge advantage over BR in regards to the bust factor

Rivers is the son of a coach {like Chad} who was raised on all of the nuances ... Manning the same with his dad and older brother ... both of these cats are more prepared to play QB in the NFL than your average draftee

BR has no such advantage ... while he can be every bit as good as the other two {has the ability}, his bust factor is substantially higher IMHO

Again, I like BR and think he's a terrific prospect ... just think his bust factor is higher than Rivers & Manning
    GJH-

I got the impression in listening this morning that the guy was not talking about one of the newly minted kids, but an existing highly touted young QB who has not yet done much in the league.

Rookie
    anyone know what chad's brain type is? im guessing it's what eli has because in an article about this in my local paper (The Times Union) eli had a similar one to his brother but was more methodical... remember herm saying Chad would never be great unless he stopped being so methodical and just wing it? or something to that extent

Veteran
    Because Vick has played a few good games does not, to me, proven that he will be a successful long-term player (and I think with his propensity to scramble- he'll be out of this league in less than 5 years because of injury).

I'm just not sure he has the head for it.

I could easily be wrong.
    Pennigton also only played a few good games. Vicks win% is a lot better than his. Plus he is the only QB to go into Lambeau and win a playoff game, ever. Atlanta was the worse team in the NFL , Vick comes back and they finish 4-1. Jets are a horrible team before Pennigton and were horrible team when he came back. he had very little impact, unlike Vick, where ATlanta dramatically improved the minute he came back. Both him and Penny have been injured the same amount of times, so why is he more injory prone than Penny. And before you say because he scrambles, look at the injuries between pocket passers and scrambling QBs, You will see scrambling Qbs have less of a chance for injury ironically.

So maybe Penny will be the next bust, you never know. But you do know Vick is a legit superstar, Penny is unproven.

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@May 7 2004, 01:05 PM

Big Ben may end up being the best of the three. Considering that he wasn't taken until pick # 11 it is harder to label him a bust if he ends up just being an average starter. Rivers and especially Manning have much loftier expectations for their play.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by fatcatxl@May 7 2004, 01:10 PM
    anyone know what chad's brain type is?
    I just e-mailed the brain type people- the guy who would have done it is on a road trip, but if he gets back to me, I'll let you know.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by PETER PAT@May 7 2004, 01:12 PM
    But you do know Vick is a legit superstar,
    You do know how silly that sounds, don't you?