Thread: If Cowart were to be cut

All Pro
    This is how our LB situations would look.

4-3

WLB - Barton
    MLB - Vilma
    SLB - Hobson

3-4

OLB - John Abraham
    ILB - Vilma
    ILB - Hobson/Glenn
    OLB - Barton

Nickel

- Vilma
    - Barton/Glenn

Dime

- Barton

The rotation would consist of Glenn, McClover, Kenyatta Wright, and Mark Brown. Although I think we'd be fine without him the team is better off having him around to add some more experience to a very youthful squad.

Veteran
    I like Cowart but do not want him getting in the way of the linebacker youth movement or learning curve.. This will be a learning year for the defense so I would rather have all of the young guys playing and learning so next year they are all on the same page. If Cowart does not look up to speed or in good shape..take care and thanks for wasting the Jets Money and cap space.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think Cowart will be alright. The move inside will help him. I'd like him to stick around in case Vilma's size becomes a factor. The lineup sure looks speedy back there without him, though.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@May 25 2004, 07:57 AM
    I think Cowart will be alright. The move inside will help him. I'd like him to stick around in case Vilma's size becomes a factor. The lineup sure looks speedy back there without him, though.
    especially in the last third of the season when he hits the wall... i'd hate to have a core of guys so close to college that they run out of gas and we don't win a game in december - i prefer leaving that distinction to the dolphins.

Veteran
    I could be wrong, but I believe we just re-signed Cowart as part of the agreement to move him to the inside. If that's the case, no way the Jets cut him this year.

Rookie
    This defense needs a leader at linebacker, especially with all the changes.

-we need cowart

All Pro
    Originally posted by TexJet@May 25 2004, 09:39 AM
    I could be wrong, but I believe we just re-signed Cowart as part of the agreement to move him to the inside. If that's the case, no way the Jets cut him this year.
    Yea I know that's why this is hypothetical. I don't see Cowart going anywhere this season. Now next season is a different story.

Banned
    Cowart will have to compete for his spot. However, remember that Vilma is a rook...and very few rook ILB make it to starter..if he does then he is beyond projections showered on him in the draft.

I think Cowart will start and then after this year he is GONE...

LL

I predict Cowart gets 110-120 solo tackles easily this year for us with this move to the inside. He's not going anywhere.

TomShane
    It's a waste of time starting Vilma out on thje bench, and it will be insulting for COwart to have to listen to chants of "Viiiiilma" when Rudi Johnson is pounding out 200 yards against us in the third quarter.

Rookie
    I am dead set against dumping Cowart. We will be well served by leaving a vet in there to work with the younger guys. Cowart might not be the force he was in Buffalo anymore but he is still a decent linebacker and I'm sure he can pass on a lot of his knowledge. I don't see us letting him go.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by Jetlag@May 25 2004, 07:36 AM

4-3

WLB - Barton
    MLB - Vilma
    SLB - Hobson

3-4

OLB - John Abraham
    ILB - Vilma
    ILB - Hobson/Glenn
    OLB - Barton

Nickel

- Vilma
    - Barton/Glenn

Dime

- Barton

The rotation would consist of Glenn, McClover, Kenyatta Wright, and Mark Brown. Although I think we'd be fine without him the team is better off having him around to add some more experience to a very youthful squad.
    He's not going anywhere this season. He's been paid his bonus and he's restructured his contract when the F.O. has asked him to. If he doesn't excel at his new "old position" he may be gone after this season. I think the guys at PFW just needed some nonsense to fill up their column.

All Pro
    I predict Cowart gets 110-120 solo tackles easily this year for us with this move to the inside. He's not going anywhere.

That doesnt mean hes going to play when in the middle. Last year he was one of the leading tacklers in the AFC and he played like garbage.

Veteran
    ARod as much as I agree with you, I think the Jets want to see Cowart come to camp in great shape and willing to fight for his job and lead this hungry group of young linebackers... if he is standing around like a loaf, cut your losses.. I for one was a big Cowart supporter, and hope that what is reported is not true

All Pro
    He might be getting to that point in his career where his performance will decline. It's not good to take a chance on someone at his stage in his career.

All I know is, after what I've seen last year, we need to rush the QB more because there were plenty of cases last year where the QB had way too much time to throw.

I think that we'll be better in this area too because of the youth now in the defense.

GreenInsider...You need to explain that post to me. I'm a little slow. You write,"He was one of the leading tacklers in the whole AFC...but he played like garbage.".Those 2 concepts are contradictary. You dont lead the league in tackles if you're playing like garbage.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Baddniss@May 26 2004, 05:40 PM
    GreenInsider...You need to explain that post to me. I'm a little slow. You write,"He was one of the leading tacklers in the whole AFC...but he played like garbage.".Those 2 concepts are contradictary. You dont lead the league in tackles if you're playing like garbage.
    he led the league in tackles made from behind and ten yards down field after breakin the other LB's ankles off

Waterboy
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 26 2004, 05:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ May 26 2004, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Baddniss@May 26 2004, 05:40 PM
    GreenInsider...You need to explain that post to me. I&#39;m a little slow. You write,"He was one of the leading tacklers in the whole AFC...but he played like garbage.".Those 2 concepts are contradictary. You dont lead the league in tackles if you&#39;re playing like garbage.
    he led the league in tackles made from behind and ten yards down field after breakin the other LB&#39;s ankles off [/b][/quote]
    While I&#39;m not saying Cowart played well last year, you have to look at last year&#39;s situation for him realistically. The LB&#39;s played zone, as did the CB&#39;s most of the time. Cowart was incharge of anyone coming in from Beasley and M Jones zone. As well as having to pass receivers to T Carter. Believe me, you can be the best LB in the world but if you have those guys immediately surrounding you, you are gonna be in trouble. Everyone knew to hit the outside sections of Jones and Beasley&#39;s zones because they knew Jones and Beasley couldn&#39;t cover them well. This left Cowart to have to make the play all the time, thus giving him alot of tackles 10 yards downfield. Again, he was no superstar, but I blame alot of his woes on the guys around him.

Originally posted by Jetlag@May 25 2004, 07:36 AM

4-3

WLB - Barton
    MLB - Vilma
    SLB - Hobson

3-4

OLB - John Abraham
    ILB - Vilma
    ILB - Hobson/Glenn
    OLB - Barton

Nickel

- Vilma
    - Barton/Glenn

Dime

- Barton

The rotation would consist of Glenn, McClover, Kenyatta Wright, and Mark Brown. Although I think we&#39;d be fine without him the team is better off having him around to add some more experience to a very youthful squad.
    E barton would have to play inside in 3-4. You would want a LB with a little more size and speed at Olb than Eric Barton in 3-4. Most Likely J abraham and B thomas would be oustside Lbs with E barton and Vilma as inside Lbs.