Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testeverde given big send-off

Why was Testeverde given a big send off, and Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones were cut without any fanfare at all?

If you look at www.newyorkjets.com you would think Vinny was the second coming of Joe Namath. But when Mo and Marvin were sent packing there was barely anything more than a press release.

Is there some reason behind this? Had Mo and Marvin that far out of favor with the front office?

Veteran
    I do think those guys (especially MO) should've been given a "send-off", but who knows what went on behind the scenes.

Also Vinny receives alot of fanfare because:
    1) Local guy playing for his home crowd, JETS fan his whole life
    2) Led the '98 team
    3) The QB always gets the most credit or blame

The send off could have been part of the deal that kept Vinny here until June 1st.

Hall Of Fame
    with all due respect to mo and marvin, marvin never really lived up to the hype, and mo was great at times but with him or without him the team stank for years, Vinny made the difference.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    I think Mo and Marvin said they'd rather have the cash instead of wasting it on a send off party...........

Originally posted by emslave@Jun 3 2004, 10:44 AM
    with all due respect to mo and marvin, marvin never really lived up to the hype, and mo was great at times but with him or without him the team stank for years, Vinny made the difference.
    I think Mo deserved it more than Vinny. Mo might prefer the cash but Vinny got that too.

All Pro
    when you think of the Jets prior to Pennington you think Wayne Chrebet, Curtis Martin and Vinny Testerverde -

when you think of 1998 you think of Vinny, KJ Wayne Etc.. - Mo & Marvin were good - but Vinny made the difference that year -

when he was good he was good and when he was bad he was bad -

he was never a problem in the locker room

All League
    Plus there is a good shot Vinny will continue to play. The Jets would look really grimey if they let him go play somewhere else and didnt have a nice send-off. For me, Vinny definitely was the icon for the Jets since 1998.

All League
    A certain percentage of Football players are going tol eave teams every year-the turnover because of the cap situation is a given. This is a business much as we try to pretend at times that is just sports and entertainment.
    Vinny was a true warrior for us-the QB always will get more praise and respect and blame for that matter than anyone else-it is a fact.

Veteran
    The send off would have been nice if VT was actually hanging up his cleats.

I don't think Marvin played in 98.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by James Hasty+Jun 3 2004, 11:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (James Hasty @ Jun 3 2004, 11:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--emslave@Jun 3 2004, 10:44 AM
    I think Mo deserved it more than Vinny. Mo might prefer the cash but Vinny got that too. [/b][/quote]
    I agree....how do you do it for Vinny, who basically had one and a half good seasons for the Jets and not Lewis, who was the teams best defensive player for a decade?

That shows me no loyalty at all. (Though, if you were at the last game of the season in &#39;03, they did a nice little video on Mo as the game wore down....for those who have followed his career since he was drafted in &#39;91 it was very nice).

And pleeze; Testeverde was not a difference maker- Parcells/Henning were the difference makers. (As they say; the QB gets to much of the credit and too much of the blame).

Rookie
    I agree....how do you do it for Vinny, who basically had one and a half good seasons for the Jets and not Lewis, who was the teams best defensive player for a decade?

That shows me no loyalty at all. (Though, if you were at the last game of the season in &#39;03, they did a nice little video on Mo as the game wore down....for those who have followed his career since he was drafted in &#39;91 it was very nice).

You hit the nail on the head. When Mo was in his prime he was not only one of the best linebackers in Jets history but he was also a team leader and consummate professional. Just because he didnt like to talk to media he got a bad wrap which is crap if you ask me. He deserved a sendoff and its embarrassing that he didnt get one.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Cirencester ENGLAND Capital of the Cotswolds
    Good call.

Mo was there thru the bad times he deverved a lot more respect. I for one wish him well

Marvin could have been great, I wish he had been. I remember when we drafted him I was so excited. He was our LT, he was our Singletary. The truth was it never really happened. It doesn&#39;t make him any less of a Jet.

As for Vinny there is a simple formula that the Jets FO used;

Local lad + QB + Jersey sales + Successful (?) + Vereran team leader + Big contract + fan favorite = Fanfare

TomShane
    Mo Lewis was a f*cking cancer and a coach-killer. A total douchebag who subverted Groh and was beginning to subvert Herman (as if he needed help). The silence you heard regarding his departure was all the indication you need of what a "consummate professional" Lewis was.

Marvin, God help him, was a coulda-shoulda been, but never was.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by CHARLIEO@Jun 3 2004, 10:20 AM
    Why was Testeverde given a big send off, and Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones were cut without any fanfare at all?

If you look at www.newyorkjets.com you would think Vinny was the second coming of Joe Namath. But when Mo and Marvin were sent packing there was barely anything more than a press release.

Is there some reason behind this? Had Mo and Marvin that far out of favor with the front office?
    OK, I must have missed it.

What fan fare or send off?

No press conference.

No party.

No nothing.

Other than papers were sent in.

Or did I miss it?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TomShane@Jun 3 2004, 01:45 PM
    Mo Lewis was a f*cking cancer and a coach-killer. A total douchebag who subverted Groh and was beginning to subvert Herman (as if he needed help). The silence you heard regarding his departure was all the indication you need of what a "consummate professional" Lewis was.

Of course Groh was a steadfast coach who was in control of the situation right? Funny thing; I also remember Testeverde also had a huge problem with Groh....

Rookie
    QUOTE (TomShane @ Jun 3 2004, 01:45 PM)

Al Groh left because he wanted to coach elswhere and other than that you hate Mo because he is a douchebag, good reason base your feeling on him on names other than stats. He kicked ass for us and always came to play. How do you call someone who played an entire season with an injured hip and NEVER complained a cancer? Do you hate him because he got more money than he deserved in his last contract, because name a player who wouldnt have done the same thing.

Finally one of the best coaches ever (parcells) says he was one of his favorite lb&#39;s. Take that however you want it, but to me it says a lot.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Mo Lew@Jun 3 2004, 02:28 PM
    QUOTE (TomShane @ Jun 3 2004, 01:45 PM)

Al Groh left because he wanted to coach elswhere and other than that you hate Mo because he is a douchebag, good reason base your feeling on him on names other than stats. He kicked ass for us and always came to play. How do you call someone who played an entire season with an injured hip and NEVER complained a cancer? Do you hate him because he got more money than he deserved in his last contract, because name a player who wouldnt have done the same thing.

Finally one of the best coaches ever (parcells) says he was one of his favorite lb&#39;s. Take that however you want it, but to me it says a lot.
    Holmes, check it out...

Produce one quote for me where anybody...ANYBODY on the Jets said "Wow, too bad that Mo is gone" and you&#39;ll have proven your point.

All Pro
    At first I was reluctant to replying to this thread, due to the uttmost respect for my friend jetgirl and her sympthy for losing one of her best football player vinnie T.

now all she has is John Vilma unproven in the NFL and ray ray our only senior JET DB. Vinnie never gave me an authograph no matter how much I asked him, all he would do is smile&#33; or a hand shake..

Thanks fah dah memories when we were winnin that game man an U fling that int to that DB/SS or that sack you took which got us outta field goal range....that ghost TD you got I was sweatin like a hog that sunday afternoon...DUDE&#33; goodluck man&#33;

Practice Squad
    it&#39;s cause vinny&#39;s white and mo lewis is black, you effing racists