Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: 5 Favorite Guitarists

Bitter
    It seems like music threads always seem to turn out pretty well so here's another one. I was just listening to some FNM today and it got me thinking about my favorite guitarists. I'm not talking necessarily the best guitarists, just the ones that you enjoy listening to the most. Here's my top 5.

5. Slash - Absolutely couldn't stand G N' R in my high school days but I was young and dumb and grunge had polluted my mind. Now that I listen to them with a completely open mind, he truly is one of my favorites.

4. Jim Martin - Most people won't have him anywhere on their list but being a huge FNM fan I absolutely love listening to him. He's probably one of the more underrate guitarists of the

3. Mick Mars - Mick Mars IMO was one of 2 members of Motley Crue with any talent. I loved that band but my god Nikki Sixx was offensive on bass and Vince Neil was just your typical 80's shreiker. Mick and Tommy were the glue that held that band together.

2. Eddie Van Halen - I have mixed emotions about him. I only enjoy listening to him play about half the time. During the Van Halen days he was phenominal but I lost a lot of respect for him in his Van Haggar days.

1. Steve Vai -I don't necessarily like his style of music for the most part but this guy's guitar skills are so sick that I can't help but be in awe every time I hear him play. Actually seeing him play is absolutely mind blowing.

Veteran
    1- Jimmy Hendrix

2- Tom Morello (RATM)

Those are really the only two I look at as great guitarists.

Banned
    Jimi Hendrex

Eric Clapton

Yngwie Malmsteen- if you never heard his music go get it,find it online now,he will eat every guitarists on every list in this thread.

Banned
    1. Jimi Hendrix
    2. Syd Barrett ( Pink Floyds original front man)
    3.Frank Zappa ( Captin Beefheart for life)
    4."Space" Ace Freely
    5. Roger Waters

I'm sure I forgot somebody.

Rookie
    5. Jim Martin - I used to look like him in my college days. FNM doing War Pigs says it all.

4. Frank Hannon/Tommy Skeoch - I dig on Tesla. reminds me of the old days cleaning pools in Long Beach.

3. Joe Satriani - I just like Joe, even if the stuff he does is kinda stale now.

2. Stevie Ray Vaughn - He's got feel and can set a mood.

1. EVH - Eddie is God.

Honorable Mentions:

Dime Bag Darryl, Slash, Zack Wilde, Dave Navaro, and Jimmy Page.

Banned
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Jun 7 2004, 09:25 PM
    Jimi Hendrex

Eric Clapton

Yngwie Malmsteen- if you never heard his music go get it,find it online now,he will eat every guitarists on every list in this thread.
    Enjoy....

Malmsteen

Undrafted Free Agent
    1) Tony Rambola - Godsmack.

2) Eddie V

3) Kirk Hammett

4) Slash

5) Clapton

Bitter
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Jun 7 2004, 08:25 PM
    IMO you're splitting hairs when you start trying to compare any of the following..

Yngwie Malmsteen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Eric Johnson

Banned
    Originally posted by huskeralk+Jun 7 2004, 09:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huskeralk @ Jun 7 2004, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy@Jun 7 2004, 08:25 PM
    IMO you&#39;re splitting hairs when you start trying to compare any of the following..

Yngwie Malmsteen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Eric Johnson [/b][/quote]

Very true husker,very true.

Rookie
    Alex Lifeson is God

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Steve Morse
    Santana
    Clapton
    Jorma Kaukonen
    Garcia

Bitter
    Originally posted by Smizzy+Jun 7 2004, 08:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smizzy @ Jun 7 2004, 08:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -huskeralk@Jun 7 2004, 09:40 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy
    @Jun 7 2004, 08:25 PM

IMO you&#39;re splitting hairs when you start trying to compare any of the following..

Yngwie Malmsteen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Eric Johnson

Very true husker,very true. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t know what it is but there just seems to be something about Vai&#39;s style that seperates him from the rest of those guys mentioned for my tastes anyway.

Bitter
    Originally posted by GreenBeans@Jun 7 2004, 08:32 PM
    Honorable Mentions:

Dime Bag Darryl, Slash, Zack Wilde, Dave Navaro , and Jimmy Page.
    Damn good call with Navarro. I didn&#39;t think about him but he could definately contend for the number 5 spot.

All Pro
    I am going with the only one I saw: Eddie Van Halen.

Although I would have loved to seen Hendrix, Clapton or Page

All League
    Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits

Eric Clapton

Ted Nugent

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jimi Hendrix

All League
    Lots of good ones mentioned - I&#39;d like to add some of these:

Lindsey Buckingham
    Joe Strummer
    The Edge
    Brian Setzer

and my current personal favorite - freakin&#39; unbelievable in concert - John Frusciante

Banned
    What about the kid from DreamTheater....Marty Friedman...he&#39;s also very good.

Waterboy
    The subject of "the best guitarist" is subjective, but loads of fun&#33; You know who really sucks is Kerry King from Slayer&#33; No music training what so ever, and is proud of it. I agree with everyone else, Yngwie, Vai, E. Johnson are all incredible musicians. I saw Yngwie play about 12 years ago at a small club in NJ. 128th notes galore; incredible&#33; I&#39;m a huge Alex Lifeson fan&#33;

All Pro
    No love for Randy Rhoades?

Adrian Vandenberg
    Slash
    EVH
    Steve Vai

Ralph Macchio.

Bitter
    Originally posted by Thor99@Jun 7 2004, 09:54 PM
    Ralph Macchio.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I&#39;m not the only one that has seen that movie? I was pissed Steve Vai would sooooo kick his a&#036;&#036;. :lol: