View Poll Results: On what currency should Ronald Reagan's image be placed?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dime

5 6.17%
  • $10 bill

16 19.75%
  • $20 bill

4 4.94%
  • Other

13 16.05%
  • None

43 53.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reagan the newest Dead President

Hall Of Fame

Reagan the new face of the $10 bill?
    Conservatives will push for image of 40th president to grace $10 bill, $20 bill or dime.
    June 8, 2004: 1:07 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ronald Reagan's face could one day adorn the $10 bill or half the dimes minted in the country, if fans of the late president get their way.

On TuesdaySen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) confirmed that he is considering sponsoring legislation in the Senate to have Reagan's image replace that of Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first treasury secretary, on the $10 bill.

Meanwhile, an effort is underway in the House of Representatives, led by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), to put Reagan's face on the $20.

If either effort is successful, it would represent the first change of a person on U.S. currency since 1929, when the nation's paper money was standardized in size and general design. Although various anti-counterfeiting measures have altered the look of paper notes since then, the principals depicted have not changed.

The proposal has the support of Ronald Reagan Legacy Project, which is headed by Grover Norquist, an influential conservative activist.

Democrats in Congress may not be ready to embrace the idea, though none has publicly declared opposition after Reagan's death Saturday.

A change would require majority votes in both houses of Congress.

In the Republican-dominated House, passage of a bill seems achievable, according to Washington sources. In the Senate, however, cloture rules would allow the Democratic minority to block any legislation.

Proponents of Reaganized money, however, are proposing an alternative to paper: coins. Unlike decisions about notes, coins can be changed at the discretion of the Treasury Secretary.

Over at the Treasury Department, however, lips are tightly pursed on the notion of honoring the 40th president on money.

"It's premature to get into any discussions about it, including discussions of process or timing," said Ann Womack Colton, a Treasury spokeswoman.

But GOP activist Norquist has said he has already had discussions with Snow and senior White House staff about the idea, and found no opposition.

If Reagan is not put on the $10, an alternate proposal is to have half the nation's dimes carry Reagan's face, with the other half continuing to honor Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The idea of removing Roosevelt from the dime altogether in favor of Reagan had enough opposition, even from Nancy Reagan, to be dropped, USA Today reported.

But the Gipper's fans think giving equal time to Reagan and FDR strikes an appropriate compromise.

One person opposed to removing Hamilton from the $10 bill is Ron Chernow, author of an acclaimed biography of the revolutionary war hero and founding father.

He told USA Today that he believed even Reagan would have objected to the snub of Hamilton.

"Hamilton was the prophet of the capitalist system that Ronald Reagan so admired," he was quoted as saying.

Veteran
    I'd like to see him on the 50...Grant's a chump, anyway......Reagan is among the greatest Americans that has ever lived....just ask bitonti...he'll tell you the same thing.

All League
    Yes, just not with THAT picture. Something a bit less goofy.

BZ

All League
    I though he requested that nothing of the sort ever happen?

All Pro
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jun 8 2004, 02:00 PM
    I'd like to see him on the 50...Grant's a chump, anyway......Reagan is among the greatest Americans that has ever lived....just ask bitonti...he'll tell you the same thing.
    I voted for other b/c jackson Hamilton and FDR should all remain on their respective bills/coins. But the $50 isn't a bad idea. While Grant was a successful general, he was an awful President. Time to put Ike on something as well... maybe something to do with drving as per the highway act.

Veteran
    i voted for the 10. if not that then something because he was a great president.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jun 8 2004, 02:00 PM
    i would like to point out that since his death i have not said anything disrespectful about Reagan, nor will I.

alexander hamilton was the first secretary of the treasury and a seminal figure in the early america, if we put reagan on then we have to take hamilton off and im not sure if that's right

he was a good president but is FDR on any money? is Teddy?

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti+Jun 8 2004, 04:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bitonti @ Jun 8 2004, 04:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree@Jun 8 2004, 02:00 PM
    I&#39;d like to see him on the 50...Grant&#39;s a chump, anyway......Reagan is among the greatest Americans that has ever lived....just ask bitonti...he&#39;ll tell you the same thing.
    i would like to point out that since his death i have not said anything disrespectful about Reagan, nor will I.

alexander hamilton was the first secretary of the treasury and a seminal figure in the early america, if we put reagan on then we have to take hamilton off and im not sure if that&#39;s right

he was a good president but is FDR on any money? is Teddy? [/b][/quote]
    I have to agree with bit. :blink:

Adding Reagan to the &#036;10 or any other bill is

1) A bit premature
    2) A little overboard
    3) Shouldn&#39;t happen at the cost of other American statesmen currently on currency.

The man does have a Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier named for him which in itself was a break from tradition, naming it before he died.

I say we need to get rid of the &#036;1 bill instead, follow the rest of the world&#39;s monetary systems techniques and produce a &#036;1 or &#036;5 coin. One that is OBVIOUSLY different and stands out, not the Susan B. Anthony or Sacwegea quarters with a &#036;1 stamp.

We can honor him while at the same time, saving &#036;&#036;&#036; from not having to print outrageous amounts of &#036;1 and &#036;5 bills like we do now.

All Pro
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Jun 8 2004, 04:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Jun 8 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -bitonti@Jun 8 2004, 04:37 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree
    @Jun 8 2004, 02:00 PM
    I&#39;d like to see him on the 50...Grant&#39;s a chump, anyway......Reagan is among the greatest Americans that has ever lived....just ask bitonti...he&#39;ll tell you the same thing.

alexander hamilton was the first secretary of the treasury and a seminal figure in the early america, if we put reagan on then we have to take hamilton off and im not sure if that&#39;s right

I have to agree with bit. :blink:

Adding Reagan to the &#036;10 or any other bill is

1) A bit premature
    2) A little overboard
    3) Shouldn&#39;t happen at the cost of other American statesmen currently on currency.

The man does have a Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier named for him which in itself was a break from tradition, naming it before he died.

I say we need to get rid of the &#036;1 bill instead, follow the rest of the world&#39;s monetary systems techniques and produce a &#036;1 or &#036;5 coin. One that is OBVIOUSLY different and stands out, not the Susan B. Anthony or Sacwegea quarters with a &#036;1 stamp.

We can honor him while at the same time, saving &#036;&#036;&#036; from not having to print outrageous amounts of &#036;1 and &#036;5 bills like we do now. [/b][/quote]
    I hate the fact the Euro does not have a 1 Euro bill. Its a pain to have all those 1 Euro coins. IMO, our system is fine as is.

All Pro
    . In 1990, at a cost of 2.6 cents each, over seven billion notes worth about &#036;82 billion were produced for circulation by the Federal Reserve System. These were intended to replace notes deems too deteriorated to continue use.

Denomination of Bill - Life Expectancy (Years)

&#036;1 -1.5
    &#036;5 - 2
    &#036;10- 3
    &#036;20 - 4
    &#036;50 - 9
    &#036;100 - 9

You do the math? How much money do we waster printing new currency because Americans are too lazy and too hard headed to have to use a &#036;1 and &#036;5 coin.

All League
    Sam Grant was neither a chump NOR Drunk, and he wasn&#39;t the butcher the Southern~phile historians...notably Ken Burns, would have you believe either.

Man didn&#39;t touch a DROP of alcohol after his posting in Calfornia in the earl~mid Fifties, a hardship post in those days depriving him of the company of his Wife and small children, NEVER had a drink during the Civil War...

Butcher? No, a man who had faith in his troops, troops that were alternately coddled by McClellan or completely misused by fools like Burnside and "Fighting Joe" Hooker. Unfortunately, by the time Grant took over as Lt. General of the Union Army, his best Corp and Division Commanders were either killed, injured (Hancock), or relieved. Want to see a Butcher? See the OVERRATED Lee throwing Picketts Division of Virginians and Texans against an entrenched enemy on high ground AGAINST the advice of his most trusted General (Pete Longstreet, incidentally, Grants best friend before and after the war)..

As for his job as Pres., his first term was a disaster, he was to decent and trusting a man to be in that position, but his second term was a huge improvement. Grant is almost singularly responsible for the SOuths return to the union under full state status, a concept which nearly died with Lincoln. For that alone, Grant was an important and valued leader in our History, never mind his contributions as a writer, historian and yes, Military man.

Just wanted to clear up a typical, but ignorant perception of a GREAT American.

That being said, Reagan should be honored on a bill of currency. Leave coins to do~nothings like JFK...Yes, he WAS a do nothing President.

Banned
    I voted dime, who the hell is the guy on it anyway?

All League
    Not on any paper bills, on a dime I wouldn&#39;t mind though.

Banned
    i really don&#39;t mind either way but we better not get rid of bills and have 1 and 5 dollar coins...they suck, i already have enough change rattling around in my pocket, i don&#39;t need any more...

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Originally posted by bitonti@Jun 8 2004, 03:37 PM

FDR is on the dime.....

Reagan should be on the 10 dollar bill and he should be on Mt Rushmore......

All League
    Bush is already on a Bill so why not?

Hall Of Fame
    Reagan belongs on the 10 dollar bill. He was a great president.

BIN LADEN urges all AMERICANS to vote for KERRY&#33; :unsure:

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by StonerJet 63@Jun 9 2004, 08:16 AM
    I voted dime, who the hell is the guy on it anyway?
    Are you kidding me??? Are you from NY , ITs FDR . The one of the best leaders we ever had .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Reagan should not be on currency.

He was a great man. But he would be the first person to vote against it.

That wasn&#39;t the kind of man he was.

Originally posted by New England Hick@Jun 9 2004, 06:50 AM

Reagan should be on the 10 dollar bill and he should be on Mt Rushmore......
    i remember reading the rushmore was supposed to have enough space for up to 10 presidents...also, it was supposed to be full busts ( said "busts") of all of them, just washington is done. so getting reagon on the mountain may happen.