Thread: SIGNING PLAYERS

Undrafted Free Agent
    Do you think that we are actually going to sign anyone after the cuts.Like a lineman.Or are we just going to sit around and suck our thumbs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think that there's a decent chance that The Jets sign somebody by the time camp opens up.

As far as The Jets offensive line goes, I think that The Jets are happy with their depth at OT with Lance Nimmo, Marko Cavka and of course, Adrian Jones. Plus, Remember that Brent Smith can swing to tackle at any given notice, So The Jets are pretty solid at this spot.

The depth at center and guard is questionable. This could be an area where The Jets look to sign somebody but it wouldn't suprise me if they went into camp with what they have.

Believe it or not, The Jets love Brent Smith and especially Brandon Moore. If there is an injury in camp or the preseason, They'll be forced to sign somebody. So they are better off taking care of that now.

The Jets could explore the possibility of signing a FS just in case, Jon McGraw can't stay healthy and I see DT/Nose Tackle as a possibility. If The Jets are going to play The 3-4 from time to time, Guys like Alan Harper and James Reed are not suited for that spot behind DR and Ferguson, so I could see The Jets signing somebody at NT.

Remember last year, at this late stage of free agency, The Jets signed Tyrone Carter, Brent Smith, Michael Bates and Chester McGlockton.

If we sign a player or two, It won't be anybody significant that can come in and start. It will be somebody to provide veteran insurance as a backup.

If I were running The Jets, I would look into The Mike McKenzie situation in Green Bay, I'd also look at The Donovin Darius sitaution in Jacksonville. Those are two good young players but the problem with them is paying the price to get them and paying them big starter money. The Jets have good depth at CB and S but they could use another guy.

Jamie Nails could be a possibility at guard but I am not sure that he fits what we like to do on offense. The Jets like offensive lineman that are smart and mobile. If Nails is in shape, He's worth a look, I think.

I was watching The Tampa situation to see which of their offensive lineman are going to get released. They have signed a bunch of o-lineman and somebody has to go.

When you think about it, The Jets roster is pretty balanced, We don't have a ton of star players but I don't see too many areas that are desperate for upgrade. There are no starting positions open right now, We could use an upgrade at guard and TE but I am not sure that what's out there is neccesarily better.

All Pro
    Excellent analysis, as usual.

Do you think the Jets head into the season with Goodwin or (shudder) Machado as the backup at center? I don't think Dearth would ever receive any reps with the offensive unit. He's strictly a long snapper/backup TE.

Rookie
    Isn't Machado a free agent after reworking his contract last year? That would eliminate the worse choice of the two you mentioned above.

All Pro
    Originally posted by GreenBeans@Jun 9 2004, 07:40 AM
    Isn't Machado a free agent after reworking his contract last year? That would eliminate the worse choice of the two you mentioned above.
    Still doesn't answer the issue about a backup at C.

All Pro
    Yes Machado is gone. He was an FA at the end of last year and we have NOT resigned him. From what I hear they are high on Goodwin and he is the current backup at Center. He is another that has spent time at Guard (I believe) so he also gives some depth there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I know ive asked this before but is there a youth player at gaurd with prven talent that we can sign

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM
    I'd also look at The Donovin Darius sitaution in Jacksonville.
    Nice call on Darius YJF.

This guy would be a scary addition to the Jets secondary.

Here's pretty much kept under the radar but he is a very solid safety.

All Pro
    Zach Bronson seems to be a more realistic solution from what I've heard...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jun 9 2004, 06:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Jun 9 2004, 06:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan@Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM
    I&#39;d also look at The Donovin Darius sitaution in Jacksonville.
    Nice call on Darius YJF.

This guy would be a scary addition to the Jets secondary.

Here&#39;s pretty much kept under the radar but he is a very solid safety. [/b][/quote]
    Darius is one of the best Strong Safeties in Football. That&#39;s why he has been franchised like three years in a row by The Jags.

The problem with The Jets exploring or adding him is that, Number one, He&#39;d cost too much money and Number Two, The Jets have Reggie Tongue slotted at SS so if you traded a 3rd rounder for Darius, You&#39;d have to figure out what to do with him. Where to play him and where to play Tongue.

I think that McKenzie is more of fit than Donnie Abraham is for our defense. Donnie&#39;s a good CB but he&#39;s more suited for the cover 2. I would compare Donnie Abraham&#39;s worth to someone like Tyrone Poole. Good veteran corners but not superstars.

Veteran
    Mike McKensie deserves a look. He would upgrade our CB position nicely but may be very expensive.

I just saw Bucs OT Romen Oben went to the Chargers for a 2005 5th rd pick.

Cant we pull something like this off for an OG, DT, and/or CB, Terry pretty please?

On the defensive tackle front, Marcus Bell was released from the Cards and Daryll Gardner from the Brocos. Bell has good size at 6&#39;2" 323 -- I just dont know if he&#39;s good enough.

Banned
    Originally posted by mbn007@Jun 9 2004, 08:49 AM
    Still doesn&#39;t answer the issue about a backup at C
    mbn, Goodwin has been moved to Center ... he is now the backup C ... played some Center in college as well

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM
    Believe it or not, The Jets love Brent Smith ...
    This is the statement that terrifies me.
    (I believe you, but can&#39;t for the life of me understand why)

Banned
    Originally posted by Piper+Jun 10 2004, 12:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Piper @ Jun 10 2004, 12:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan@Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM
    This is the statement that terrifies me [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jun 10 2004, 11:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jun 10 2004, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Jun 9 2004, 08:49 AM
    Still doesn&#39;t answer the issue about a backup at C
    mbn, Goodwin has been moved to Center ... he is now the backup C ... played some Center in college as well [/b][/quote]
    Does this mean he flunked out as a Guard, and is no longer in the mix? Not a good sign.

Veteran
    We have Lui Fuata at back-up center. He hasn&#39;t played a game yet but has potential. At 6&#39;0" 313 lbs, he&#39;s shorter and heavier than Mawae. :unsure:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Piper+Jun 10 2004, 04:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Piper @ Jun 10 2004, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan@Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM
    This is the statement that terrifies me.
    (I believe you, but can&#39;t for the life of me understand why) [/b][/quote]

LOL

The Jets were very high on Brent Smith. He was a solid offensive tackle for The Dolphins before all the injuries. The Jets took a 1 year flyer on him to provide some depth for McKenzie and Fabini. Especially since, Jumbo Elliott was gone.

Nobody on The Jets expected Brent Smith to come out of training camp as the starting guard. It was supposed to be Tom Nutten vs Jonathan Goodwin for Randy Thomas&#39;s vacated spot at guard.

Brent Smith was the 5th best lineman in camp, So they put him at guard and he outplayed the other guys.

Brent Smith is a smart guy with good technique, He doesn&#39;t blow you away at the line, He&#39;s an average pass blocker and an average run blocker. He picked up The Jets blocking schemes quickly and did a good job working with his linemates, It helps when you have an all world center next to you in Mawae.

The Jets liked what they saw from Smith especially at the end of the season that&#39;s why he got a 5 year deal. He checked out physically and he&#39;s very versatile.