Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Kimmel Ignites A Firestorm In Detroit

All Pro
    Nothing funnier than watching Detroiters still living in denial.

Kimmel Comments Raise Eyebrows in Detroit
    By Val Clark
    Web produced by Jenny DiDomenico
    June 9, 2004

Late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel is catching some flak for comments he made about the city of Detroit during Tuesday night’s finals game.

Detroit has spent a decade polishing up its image, but Jimmy Kimmel seized one moment to give the city a black eye.

"Besides the fact I'm a Lakers fan, I realize they're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win," Kimmel said on live television. "It's not worth it."

Whether they saw it last night or not, Pistons fans feel insulted.

"I’m very upset over that comment," one woman downtown told 7 Action News Wednesday. "I don't know what to say behind that. I walked away from the TV last night."

"How in the world can he make such a remark like that, having never been to the city?" another local man asked. "That's terrible! That only instigates things, causes things to happen because of remarks like that."

But you don't have to be from Detroit to be disgusted.

"I would take it personally if it happened in my hometown as well," a New York man told 7 Action News.

Still, Pistons fans won’t be discouraged by Kimmel’s remarks.

"We won a WNBA Championship," a huge Detroit sports fan said. "We recently won a Stanley Cup. We will win the Championships of the NBA. The only thing hot in the city of Detroit is gonna be Pistons fans saying ‘Yeah, we did it!’"

All Pro
    Kimmel might have just put his foot in his mouth, and ruin his TV rating by that remark.. I wish him well!

All League
    The truth hurts

All Pro
    Originally posted by Icer@Jun 10 2004, 01:04 AM
    The truth hurts
    That's what is so funny. If Detroit wins, Detroit burns, no way around it.

Kangaroo F*cker
    Gun: Don't the Pistons play out in suburbs? How can Detroit be pissed? Too funny. In my last job I was in Michigan all the time visiting Ford, Chrysler and of course General Motors.

I went to the old AMC (now Chrysler) building in Detroit and it was scary. On the way to the office all I saw was liquor stores and pawn shops.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Gainzo@Jun 10 2004, 01:14 AM
    Gun: Don't the Pistons play out in suburbs? How can Detroit be pissed? Too funny. In my last job I was in Michigan all the time visiting Ford, Chrysler and of course General Motors.

I went to the old AMC (now Chrysler) building in Detroit and it was scary. On the way to the office all I saw was liquor stores and pawn shops.
    Yeah, they play in Auburn Hills, a cool 40 minutes north of Detroit. They call it the suburbs but that's only because surburban sprawl has went crazy and is spreading like a parasite.

Yeah, everyone should experience Detroit at least once. It's the ultimate American disaster story.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

If they did win and they did destroy the city I`m sure some lawyer will try to sue KIMBEL saying he put the idea in their heads , I can see signs all over DETRIOT as it burns ,JIMMY made me do it...lol

Hall Of Fame
    Remember the movie within the movie A Fist Full of Yen in Kentucky Fried Movie?

When the evil Doctor Kwan says "Torture him...then send him to Detroit" and the guys screams, not at being tortured but about being sent there.

Pretty funny.

A bit dated, but reputations are hard to erase.

All League
    LA does the same thing, it seems it happens in most Cities unfortunately. I have never understoof when your team wins fans(not really fans but mostly bandwagoners along for the moment) destroy their City.

Veteran
    That's funny.

I think it'll burn wether they win or lose. :lol:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by nyjunc@Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM
    LA does the same thing, it seems it happens in most Cities unfortunately. I have never understoof when your team wins fans(not really fans but mostly bandwagoners along for the moment) destroy their City.
    Fortunately that sort of thing doesn't happen in NYC.

TomShane
    Hey, give Detroit some credit! They didn't burn anything more than a few bras in the parking lot after the Detroit Shock won the WNBA title! THAT'S restraint!

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by petejet+Jun 10 2004, 12:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (petejet @ Jun 10 2004, 12:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nyjunc@Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM
    Fortunately that sort of thing doesn&#39;t happen in NYC. [/b][/quote]
    Absolutely Petejet, the cops will put a bullet in your head before you get the match lit and claim it was self defense&#33; Way to go NYPD, we love ya just for that........

TomShane
    Originally posted by Limolady+Jun 10 2004, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Limolady @ Jun 10 2004, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -petejet@Jun 10 2004, 12:34 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--nyjunc
    @Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM

Fortunately that sort of thing doesn&#39;t happen in NYC.
    Absolutely Petejet, the cops will put a bullet in your head before you get the match lit and claim it was self defense&#33; Way to go NYPD, we love ya just for that........ [/b][/quote]
    I miss Giuliani

Veteran
    Originally posted by JStokes@Jun 10 2004, 09:30 AM
    Remember the movie within the movie A Fist Full of Yen in Kentucky Fried Movie?

When the evil Doctor Kwan says "Torture him...then send him to Detroit" and the guys screams, not at being tortured but about being sent there.

Pretty funny.

A bit dated, but reputations are hard to erase.
    HA HA HA....I think of that clip every time somebody mentions Detroit being a dump......"You need totuw concentwation"

All Pro
    Originally posted by petejet+Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (petejet @ Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nyjunc@Jun 10 2004, 10:34 AM
    Fortunately that sort of thing doesn&#39;t happen in NYC. [/b][/quote]
    True enough.

During the past 10 years, we have had 4 Yankee parades and a Rangers parade, with few, if any arrests. No barnfires either.

Of course, the parade route was a sea of blue, which might have acted as a slight deterrent

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by AirForceJetFan@Jun 10 2004, 11:56 AM
    "You need totuw concentwation"
    These are lost drunken men, who no longer know where they are, and no longer care.

Over here are lost drunken men who no longer know where they are, and do care.

And these men know where they are, and care...but don&#39;t drink.

Maxman
    And then Kimmell got fired:

LOS ANGELES (CBS.MW) -- Walt Disney Co. has a new controversy over content on its hands.

Disney pulls Kimmel TV show after host&#39;s remarks

The company&#39;s ABC television network pulled Wednesday night&#39;s edition of "Jimmy Kimmel Live" after the show&#39;s star made remarks about Detroit during Tuesday night&#39;s NBA Finals game between the Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers.

Kimmel, who appeared in ABC&#39;s halftime show, said: "Besides the fact I&#39;m a Lakers fan, I realize they&#39;re going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win."

The talk-show host apologized Wednesday, but the Detroit ABC affiliate, WXYZ-TV, decided not to broadcast Kimmel&#39;s regular show later that night after learning he would make more remarks about the city in the broadcast. The network followed suit.

"We made the decision that we thought was in the best interest of the show," according to a statement from ABC spokesman Kevin Brockman. ABC executives were at the network&#39;s annual affiliates meeting in Anaheim, Calif.

WXYZ showed a broadcast of "The Wayne Brady Show," but other ABC stations apparently aired a rerun of Kimmel&#39;s show.

Disney (DIS: news, chart, profile) shares were up 14 cents to &#036;24.72 in early trading.

The incident comes after Disney decided it would not distribute Michael Moore&#39;s controversial documentary, "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is highly critical of the Bush administration.

Disney executives told its Miramax distribution arm not to market the film a year ago, and reiterated that position recently when the unit sought to appeal the decision.

All Pro
    They even said something to that effect on Sports Center this morning, that the fans in Detroit are crazed for the game tonight against the Lakers and that they can&#39;t wait.

All League
    The only good thing about this is that Bill Simmons (formerly the Boston Sports Guy), writer for Kimmell&#39;s FORMER show and ESPN&#39;s Page 2 - that Bill Simmons who went sooooooo HOLLYWOOD after he moved to LA it&#39;s sickening - may actually have his head deflated now and somehow land back to Earth....and come back home where he belongs.