to do so joining Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Don
    Mattingly, and Yogi Berra as the others. He is also just one home run
    away from tying Graig Nettles (250) for sixth place on the Yankees all-time
    list.

Charter JI Member
    class act

congrats Bernie

All League
    yea i had my radio on during class and as soon as he hit i jumped out of my seat and high fived everyone in the room

FLATHERY GRAND SLAM! OF ALL PPL

Rookie
    i used to be a middle school teacher and I had is son in one of my classes, one day he came to pick him up really nice guy. His son is named Bernie too, and they look exactly alike, its uncanny

Veteran
    that is awesome! did they win today??

Veteran
    Originally posted by chrebet73@Jun 10 2004, 03:08 PM
    that is awesome! did they win today??
    Game is still on...they're winnin' 10-4. Will be a final score in a sec.....

Banned
    yeah, I watched the game today. CONGRATS BERRRRRRRNNNNN!!!!

I thought maybe he would stretch that into a double but it hit the wall.

they walked Jeter twice, pissed me off. yankees won 10-4, Prinz was awesome

Hall Of Fame
    Viva PR

All League
    Bernie's not a Hall-of-Famer though, is he? I can't imagine that happening, but him being a Yankee, anything is possible I guess. :unsure:

Banned
    Originally posted by Bleedgreen@Jun 10 2004, 07:06 PM
    Bernie's not a Hall-of-Famer though, is he? I can't imagine that happening, but him being a Yankee, anything is possible I guess. :unsure:
    Bernie may qualify as a compiler ... CF and 3 or 4 hitter for six pennant winners and four world championship teams doesn't hurt either

This is a close call ... he'll get serious consideration

Now I have a much higher standard than most HOF voters ... had to be a GREAT PLAYER at some point in your career ... compilers need not apply

But the HOF voters have put so many compilers in the HOF {minus the post season exploits} that it would almost be unfair to leave Bernie out

I'm sure I can list at least 10 HOF'ers who were no better than Bernie Williams ... none of which would have received my vote, but they received enough votes {from the actual voters} to get in

That being the case, Bernie should at least receive SERIOUS CONSIDERATION

Banned
    bernie

4 WS rings
    batting title
    multiple gold gloves
    career batting avg over .300 I believe
    250 home runs, will be his next one. he should be able to have 300 end of his career
    2,000+ hits
    etc etc etc

All League

All Pro
    Bernie is not a HOF. Not yet. He is, as was stated above, a compiler. Now, that said, if he can play on a high level for the next few years, and reach 2500 hits, 350 HR's, some 1500 RBI's and close to that in runs scored, and maintain a .300 lifetime batting avg., he will probably get in, because he has the few Gold Gloves, the batting crown, and batted cleanup for 4 World Chaps. He still may win another ring or 2 before his contract expires after next season.

He will get serious consideration, and if he can attain the above stat levels, he probably gets in.

As a side note, my qualifications for the HOF would be much stricter then what is currently required by the writers/voters. I would not have put Ripken in, for example.

Maxman
    I don't think there is any chance that Bernie makes it. He is going to be punished in a way for being on a great team. I say that because Puckett is in but Bernie won't be.

Bernie does lots of things well but nothing excellent. His career average is right around .300. He will probably end up around 2,400 hits and 350 home runs. This is in an age dominated by offense. So these are certainly good numbers but not H.O.F. caliber.

A great postseason player who will be penalized for the Yankees postseason success.

The main reason that he stays out in my opinion is that he was never one of the top players in the game. At no time was the man a top 5 star. That will hurt him.

All League
    congrats to bernie. a great guy and great player to boot. hof is not likely, but he'll be remembered as a great yankee.

Banned
    Originally posted by Maxman@Jun 11 2004, 09:37 AM
    I don't think there is any chance that Bernie makes it. He is going to be punished in a way for being on a great team. I say that because Puckett is in but Bernie won't be.

Bernie does lots of things well but nothing excellent. His career average is right around .300. He will probably end up around 2,400 hits and 350 home runs. This is in an age dominated by offense. So these are certainly good numbers but not H.O.F. caliber.

A great postseason player who will be penalized for the Yankees postseason success.

The main reason that he stays out in my opinion is that he was never one of the top players in the game. At no time was the man a top 5 star. That will hurt him.
    riiiiiiiight. just like Rizzuto and countless other yankees who got noticed because of the yankees being in the world series on an annual basis. Bernie was 1 of the biggest reasons the yankees ever made the WS.

and he was, besides Griffey, maybe the best all around CF in the mid to late 90's. see gold glove and batting title, he was a complete player.

All Pro
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Jun 11 2004, 12:22 PM

and he was, besides Griffey, maybe the best all around CF in the mid to late 90's. see gold glove and batting title, he was a complete player.
    That's not the point.

Yes, Bernie was a key clog on the Yankee run these past 8 years, and if you include the excellent teams of 1994 (best record in baseball until the strike ended the season) and 1995 (Wildcard team), then we are talking 10 years. But was he the top guy at his position during that time? A realistic answer would have to be no.

Look at a guy like Jim Rice. He was the most feared hitter in the mid 1970's to the mid 1980's. He had some unreal seasons. He still never even got close to the 75% needed to get in. But a guy like George Brett, who was recognized as the top hitter of his era, or one of them, gets in easy.

Don't get me wrong. I love Bernie, and hope the Yanks get rid of Lofton and keep Bernie in CF this season. Even if they get Beltran, which I doubt, now that Brown is not OK. But he's going to go down as one of those guys who was very good, but not great.

Look at it this way. How many times did Bernie do 30-100-.300 in the same season? Check his career stats. You'll be surprised at the answer. :o

Veteran
    Bernie in the hof is a joke, he is a slightly above average player.

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetsmets@Jun 11 2004, 12:37 PM
    Bernie in the hof is a joke, he is a slightly above average player.
    Now this is carrying it too far in the other direction. He is way above average. He's just a notch or 2 below HOF.

Slightly Above Average player? I would dread having a teacher as strict as you. He was well above average, just not a HOF guy.