Thread: Computer Experts - Help Spare A Computer Life

All Pro
    I'm close to opening fire on my Dell.

Tuesday the mother board was fried because of a power related problem after a house fire down the street. In the process the old mother board fried my old RAM card and subsequent new RAM card used for troubleshooting. Then today once I got the new motherboard, I had to reformat my HD and reinstall XP after that crashed.

Now my audio doesn't work. The computer isn't even detecting my speakers or any other of my audio components.When I go into the control panel settings, it says no audio devices are detected.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rookie
    What kind of audio card? Did you install the audio drivers?

Kangaroo F*cker
    Shoot me for stating the obvious but have you gone to Dell.com to see if there is an audio driver? If not Microsoft? If you have, call Dell Tech Support and rip them a new ahole!

I've never been a big Dell fan so I'm a touch bias!

All League
    One of the reasons I prefered Gateway. They "HAD" a store I could take it to and throw at someone!!!! Now all thats left is a 45 or a 12 guage.

Banned
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jun 13 2004, 08:33 PM
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Shoot the tower first...then shoot the moniter :lol:

Get the drivers to the audio components. Drivers are the middle man between your OS and hardware.

All Pro
    GOB

It sounds like your missing drivers. Right Click My Computer-Goto Manage. This opens CPU Management. Click on Device Manager; Sound, Video Game Controllers. If you lucky there is an unknown device present and it is just a matter of reloading the drivers.

When I had a similar CPU malfunction and had to reload, the Dell Resource CD had al my drivers for the basic set-up.

All League
    Charter JI Member

PFSIKH has it about right. Look for devices in the listing with big question marks by them. Put the recovery disk in the tray and try to install the things with question marks. If you have to tell it to look for the drivers on the CD, do it.

If the device listing doesn't show any question marks, I can't offer any more help.

Good luck.

All League
    I know I've posted this link before, but if you haven't seen it try going to www.computing.net There are some awesome forums there that can help with stuff from trivial problems right up to real techy issues.

All Pro
    OK. The audio and USB drivers are not installed for whatever reason, but when I try to load them from the the Drivers CD it says it can't find them.

Any ideas?

Veteran
    Hi, I've been out of the loop a while, but here's what I'd do....(and I do it a lot)

Just go to dell.com's support site. There, you can enter your PC's service tag number (usually on a barcode sticker on the back or side)

Once you enter that, all the drivers they show will be relative to YOUR box.

Just grab the drivers that show up.

Bitter
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jun 13 2004, 09:44 PM
    OK. The audio and USB drivers are not installed for whatever reason, but when I try to load them from the the Drivers CD it says it can't find them.

Any ideas?
    Are you actually directing your computer where to find the drivers? You might need to actually pick a location and select your CD rom.

All Pro
    Originally posted by JerryK@Jun 14 2004, 12:44 AM
    Hi, I've been out of the loop a while, but here's what I'd do....(and I do it a lot)

Just go to dell.com's support site. There, you can enter your PC's service tag number (usually on a barcode sticker on the back or side)

Once you enter that, all the drivers they show will be relative to YOUR box.

Just grab the drivers that show up.
    I tried that. It isn't working.

I've tried going to the CD_ROM with the drivers, it isn't finding jack.

Banned
    i pretty sure my idea will make you feel much,much better

All Pro
    After catching myself with my gun in my hand and the tower within my sights, I finally broke down and called New Dehli, I mean Dell Tech Support and within 30 minutes I was golden.

It seems my new mother board is for a Dell 4500, not the original 4400 so all of my efforts were apparently futile.

Veteran
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jun 14 2004, 12:46 AM
    After catching myself with my gun in my hand and the tower within my sights, I finally broke down and called New Dehli, I mean Dell Tech Support and within 30 minutes I was golden.

It seems my new mother board is for a Dell 4500, not the original 4400 so all of my efforts were apparently futile.
    :lol: :lol: Good Guns.....now put down the gun slowly and tuck it away. These damn CPU's can be a nuisance sometimes I tell ya. Drives you to drink...and I prefer tequilla...