Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets eye DET TE Ricks

All League
    From ESPN.com.

… Tight end Mikhael Ricks, released by Detroit early this week, has generated solid interest in free agency. Still a very good receiver, and with enough speed even at age 29 to get deep up the middle, Ricks has visited with Green Bay and New York Jets executives.

Would he solidify our TE position? I feel with Baker we got hands, no blocking. Becht is vice-versa

Banned
    This would be a VERY NICE addition ... and very surprising ... you rarely find a player who can help you like Ricks this late in the game

Ricks is a threat in the passing game ... and in his prime

Lastly, TE can REALLY use an upgrade

I'm hoping we can pull this off ... and Ricks would be nuts to decline an offer from the Jets cause he has a LEGIT SHOT at becoming a starter in NY ... then if he's any good, Chad Pennington will make him a household name in NYC ... also put him on ESPN's "Primetime"

Chad is a lethal short-to-intermediate passer ... he can make a solid TE seem like a borderline All-Pro

Trouble is, he ain't had a solid TE since he took the helm ... if Ricks is even a semi-playmaker, he would be nuts to pass on this opportunity

Bitter
    I don't know if I would call Ricks solid or not. He's very one dimensional with no sign of blocking ability. But he is a very good receiver.

Banned
    Originally posted by huskeralk@Jun 18 2004, 11:08 PM
    I don't know if I would call Ricks solid or not. He's very one dimensional with no sign of blocking ability. But he is a very good receiver.
    That's what the Jets need ... desperately ... a TE who can MAKE PLAYS in the passing game

And with CP's accuracy short-to-intermidiate, Ricks is a perfect fit ... and the Jets are a perfect fit for him too, cause he has a LEGIT SHOT to see a whole lotta playing time with the Jets

Seems to me this is a case of EVERY WINS if Ricks signs with the Jets

The Jets get the pass-catching TE they desperately need, and Ricks lands on a team that offers a LEGIT SHOT to make a name for himself, with a QB who is tailor-made for his game

Hall Of Fame
    i dont like the idea of paying cap money that could be used elsewhere on a position that doesnt need any help

Banned
    Originally posted by abraham-94@Jun 18 2004, 11:27 PM
    i dont like the idea of paying cap money that could be used elsewhere on a position that doesnt need any help
    TE doesn't need any help

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jun 18 2004, 11:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jun 18 2004, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--abraham-94@Jun 18 2004, 11:27 PM
    TE doesn&#39;t need any help [/b][/quote]
    no, tight end doesnt need help...

we have a terrific blocking TE in becht and a good pass catching one in baker, thats more then three quarters of this league has...

guard needs help with mediocre spot fillers in there...
    secondary could use it with a bunch of mediocre guys praying one plays over his potential...

but not tight end

Banned
    Originally posted by abraham-94@Jun 18 2004, 11:37 PM

we have a terrific blocking TE in becht and a good pass catching one in baker, thats more then three quarters of this league has
    Yeah you&#39;re right ... we&#39;re more set at TE than 3/4 of the teams in the NFL

Becht & Baker ... what was I thinkin ... awesome combo&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    Originally posted by Gas2No99@Jun 18 2004, 11:05 PM
    From ESPN.com.

… Tight end Mikhael Ricks, released by Detroit early this week, has generated solid interest in free agency. Still a very good receiver, and with enough speed even at age 29 to get deep up the middle, Ricks has visited with Green Bay and New York Jets executives.

Would he solidify our TE position? I feel with Baker we got hands, no blocking. Becht is vice-versa
    IMHO, Ricks would be a decent pickup for the Jets.

To be completely honest, I was a little suprised when the Kittens let him go. A lot of Lions fans were a wee bit P.O&#39;d.

He&#39;s not an all-star but he is a pretty solid TE from both blocking POV and above average in catching in my eyes. He and Harrington had built a pretty solid relationship.

Ricks would be a nice pickup and I think would seriously challenge Becht for playing time.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jun 18 2004, 11:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jun 18 2004, 11:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--abraham-94@Jun 18 2004, 11:37 PM

we have a terrific blocking TE in becht and a good pass catching one in baker, thats more then three quarters of this league has
    Yeah you&#39;re right ... we&#39;re more set at TE than 3/4 of the teams in the NFL

Becht & Baker ... what was I thinkin ... awesome combo&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    youre missing the point, why pick up another mediocre tight end when we have 2 already, its not like signing ricks will make us any better when either him or baker wouldnt see any playing time at all then...

Banned
    When was the last time we had a TE who could hurdle tacklers like this?

That&#39;s what an athletic TE looks like ... something we haven&#39;t seen around these parts in ions

All Pro

All Pro
    Pro: Athletic tight end who was voted as an alternate to the 2003 Pro Bowl after only his first full season at the tight end position… His 12.6 yards per catch average was tied with Atlanta’s TE Alge Crumpler for best amongst tight ends in the NFL… Proved himself to be a big-play threat, having the second-most receptions for 30-plus yards (four) on the team behind WR Bill Schroeder (seven)… Originally signed with the Lions on April 17, 2002… Has the speed to run past linebackers and the strength to overpower cornerbacks… Made the switch from wide receiver to tight end during the Kansas City Chiefs&#39; second mini-camp in June 2001… In 2001, while backing up Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, Ricks played in all 16 games and produced 18 catches for 252 yards (14.0 yards per catch avg.) and one touchdown… He was originally drafted out of Stephen F. Austin by the San Diego Chargers in the second round (59th overall) of the 1998 NFL draft.

Banned

All Pro
    Ricks was originally a WR and was converted to a TE. The man has some hands.

Banned

Banned
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jun 19 2004, 01:14 AM
    Pro: Athletic tight end who was voted as an alternate to the 2003 Pro Bowl after only his first full season at the tight end position… His 12.6 yards per catch average was tied with Atlanta’s TE Alge Crumpler for best amongst tight ends in the NFL… Proved himself to be a big-play threat, having the second-most receptions for 30-plus yards (four) on the team behind WR Bill Schroeder (seven)… Originally signed with the Lions on April 17, 2002… Has the speed to run past linebackers and the strength to overpower cornerbacks… Made the switch from wide receiver to tight end during the Kansas City Chiefs&#39; second mini-camp in June 2001… In 2001, while backing up Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, Ricks played in all 16 games and produced 18 catches for 252 yards (14.0 yards per catch avg.) and one touchdown… He was originally drafted out of Stephen F. Austin by the San Diego Chargers in the second round (59th overall) of the 1998 NFL draft.
    Good Stuff, Guns ... I&#39;m praying we can sign this Guy

BTW, Just the fact that Lions fans are pissed says a whole lot ... how many Jets fans would be "pissed" if we lost Anthony Becht? <_<

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jun 19 2004, 01:04 AM

That&#39;s what an athletic TE looks like ... something we haven&#39;t seen around these parts in ions

Anthony Becht has been on the slow boat to China since he was drafted. Parcells did alot of things right in that draft, but Becht wasn&#39;t one of them &#33; Thankfully this is the final year of his contract. Ricks would be a solid upgrade from anything Becht has shown the Jets thus far. The only downer I see is how would the Jets find a roster space for Ricks ? They could cut Becht in camp this year and realize a savings of his salary.

As to Baker this also is the final season on his contract. Maybe signing Ricks would light a fire under his keester &#33;

The last good TE the Jets had was Mickey Shuler. Something like 82 grabs in one season and a Pro Bowl appearance.

All Pro
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Jun 19 2004, 02:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WestCoastMole @ Jun 19 2004, 02:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham@Jun 19 2004, 01:04 AM

Anthony Becht has been on the slow boat to China since he was drafted. Parcells did alot of things right in that draft, but Becht wasn&#39;t one of them &#33; Thankfully this is the final year of his contract. Ricks would be a solid upgrade from anything Becht has shown the Jets thus far. The only downer I see is how would the Jets find a roster space for Ricks ? They could cut Becht in camp this year and realize a savings of his salary.

As to Baker this also is the final season on his contract. Maybe signing Ricks would light a fire under his keester &#33;

The last good TE the Jets had was Mickey Shuler. Something like 82 grabs in one season and a Pro Bowl appearance. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;d say we could shop Becht but no one would take him. :lol:

All League
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jun 19 2004, 01:32 AM
    I&#39;d say we could shop Becht but no one would take him. :lol:
    Becht is taking on the look of be coming a candidate for the I-95 Express to Rhode Island. Unfortunately the Patsies look to be set at TE.

If Ricks is signed I say the Jets release Becht in camp and the Tuna picks him up as a reclaimation project.