Thread: Jets Team Report

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets Team Report

June 27, 2004

There's a lot of pressure on second-year SLB Victor Hobson, who is expected to replace Mo Lewis as the starter. The Jets felt Hobson was the best strongside linebacker in the 2003 draft, and now is the time for him to prove it. Hobson is a bit undersized and lacks top-end speed, which could cause problems when he's in single coverage against a tight end. But he's an instinctive player and a terrific blitzer.

The team lacks experience at guard, where Brent Smith and Brandon Moore are expected to start and Dave Yovanovits, Jonathan Goodwin and Lance Nimmo (who was switched from tackle) are the top backups. Don't be surprised if the team adds a veteran guard before or during training camp.

RUNNING BACKS ANALYSIS

Curtis Martin is showing signs of slowing down, and it's time to expand backup LaMont Jordan's role. Martin, 31, is as consistent and durable as they come, but his yards-per-carry has dropped the last two years. Over the last two seasons, he has produced only 10 runs of 20 yards or more. Jordan, unhappy in his role as understudy, has more speed than Martin and would be a good change of pace for about 10 carries a game. Chances are, Jordan will bolt after the season as a free agent, so the Jets might as well use him while they have him. Jerald Sowell isn't a classic fullback, but his pass-catching ability makes him a good fit in the West Coast offense. B.J. Askew could push Sowell for playing time.

Banned
    why thank you

I still agree that Jordon is worth atleast 10 carries per game as well

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by blackout806@Jun 27 2004, 10:19 PM
    why thank you

I still agree that Jordon is worth atleast 10 carries per game as well
    Sure.........no problem............ :wub:

Banned
    I like to watch Jordan on 3rd and 1 attempt to go up the middle with his BIG frame.....he just falls down in the pile. I saw him do that at least 5 times in the past 2 years, so to me he isnt all that great. Yes, he had that one big run againsed the Raiders 2 years ago on 3rd and 1 he had a 48 yard TD run. But is that enough to say he is the next Ricky Williams? I think not. We need to get Amos Zeuroeue back home to Long Island.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by Vinny025@Jun 27 2004, 10:25 PM
    I like to watch Jordan on 3rd and 1 attempt to go up the middle with his BIG frame.....he just falls down in the pile. I saw him do that at least 5 times in the past 2 years, so to me he isnt all that great. Yes, he had that one big run againsed the Raiders 2 years ago on 3rd and 1 he had a 48 yard TD run. But is that enough to say he is the next Ricky Williams? I think not. We need to get Amos Zeuroeue back home to Long Island.
    Now that's funny stuff.

Jetgirl ,nice read !
    my thinking is that with the way the guards have blocked the last 2 years may very well be why Curtis's #'s have dropped
    and we so far have not upgraded that spot ? I'm hoping we can sign someone to replace smith.
    I also want to see allot more of Jordan though !!
    spelling Curtis throughout the season will keep him fresh for the post season run !

All Pro
    Now we have two players where they need to have breakout seasons from, Hobson and Robertson.

I'm sure that Curtis will get more carries during preseason games this year then he did last year.

All League
    Sports Reporters are like weathermen. If they predict rain long enough, it will eventually come true.

Sure, in the next 10 years, Curtis will slow down. But since he had a great season last year, why would they predict him slowing down? A lot of a what a running back can do is up to his front line and how many good blocks he gets.

I expect Martin to have a BETTER season than last year. I think our defense will play better, leaving more time on the clock, which will give our offense more time to score, which will put us in more games where they are ahead which will allow for a bigger, longer running game.

BZ

Originally posted by MrSFJFC@Jun 28 2004, 08:15 AM
    I'm sure that Curtis will get more carries during preseason games this year then he did last year.
    good point...curtis and herm have already said he will get morre carries in the preseason to try to combat the slow starts that he's had the past few years.

Veteran
    IMO, Curtis' lack of production comes from Hackett's inability to create an offensive scheme. Hackett's running plays are the slow developing variety. I rarely see a running play designed to IMMEDIATELY attack the line of scrimmage BETWEEN THE TACKLES. You'll usually see some type mis-direction with the RB back spending WAY too much time dilly-dallying in the backfield.

Sometimes I think Hackett is stuck in the 80's....not accounting for the athleticism of todays defensive players.

All League
    The last thing on the team that Id be worried about is Curtis Martin... If our glued together O-Line can open up some holes early in the year, maybe hed be able to gain a few yrds because a LB wont be in his face behind the LOS. Its all about the O-Line this year, if they overachieve and hold the fort, this O is going to be potent :ph34r:

Banned
    we now have a mauling guard who opens up holes for Martin, his name is brandon moore. combine that with fresh ankles, and ready to go, Martin should have a very good season. towards the end of the season, we saw the flashes of Martin again, and Moore was opening up holes for him left and right.

I dunno if this is true, but somebody told me Moore pancaked Ted Washington!