Thread: OT: Manute Bol in Critical Condition

Banned
    July 1, 2004, 3:31 PM EDT

Moving on news and sports lines AP Photos planned maafonsctnowper

COLCHESTER, Conn. (AP) _ Former NBA center Manute Bol was seriously injured in a highway accident Wednesday night, police said.

Bol was riding in a cab when it rolled over, killing the driver and throwing the 7-foot-7-inch former University of Bridgeport star from the car. Bol suffered a head injury and was taken by helicopter to Hartford Hospital, state police spokesman J. Paul Vance said.

"The doctor said, for his age, he's in extremely good shape and would probably be dead if he wasn't an athlete," longtime friend Andrew Kearns said.

Bol's condition was not released Thursday, but Kearns said Bol has a broken neck and is sedated.

"It's going to be a long recovery, unfortunately," Kearns said.

Bol, 43, was a second-round draft pick of the Washington Bullets in 1985. He retired in 1995 after averaging 4.2 rebounds per game and 2.6 points during his career. He blocked more shots per minute than anyone in league history.

The accident occurred about 30 miles southeast of Bol's home in West Hartford.

Bol was born in Turalie, a remote village in the southern part of Sudan. The region is the home of the Dinkas, the tallest people in the world. For a time, he was the tallest man ever to play in the NBA.

Many of his relatives were leaders in the Sudanese People's Liberation Army, the rebel movement. Since 1991, he has made several visits to refugee camps, where people greeted him as a king.

An important backer of the rebel movement, Bol contributed an estimated $3.5 million. He begged for American intervention in Sudan and picketed the country's embassy.

In 2002, Bol signed with the Indianapolis Ice of the Central Hockey League to raise money for the people of his war-torn homeland. He never stepped on the ice.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    damn....that's one tall dude. I'm surprised they have taxi cabs that fit him. Maybe he has to sit under the sunroof....At least he's gonna be o.k. I always enjoyed watching him play because he was SO tall but he just wasn't very good.

Banned
    Yahoo refered to him as an ex-nba star

they used the word Star very loosely

but seriously, i hope he's okay.

Bitter
    That sucks, I hope he pulls through. I sort of idolized him in high school. I was a terrible terrible basketball player but I was quite a bit taller than most other kids and could block shots pretty well. Not as good as him though. :lol:

All League
    Hope he is allright-I read recently he has done a lot to help back in his homeland in Sudan and that he was practically broke.

Bitter
    Originally posted by faba@Jul 1 2004, 06:35 PM
    Hope he is allright-I read recently he has done a lot to help back in his homeland in Sudan and that he was practically broke.
    Yep, even when he was playing ball he gave a huge portion of his salary to his country and just kept what he needed to get by on.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

i met him a few times when he was playing on LI - we bought clothes in the same specialty store - he was really a nice & funny guy, everyone liked him...

the same was not true of our own (former) #99, who also went there.

hope he's ok.

Tom The Nader Fan™
    I'm Man nuts for Man noot!

Barkley, Bol, Cheeks, Mahorn...

Who was the other guard?

Banned
    Originally posted by Tom The Nader Fan™@Jul 1 2004, 10:58 PM
    I'm Man nuts for Man noot!

Barkley, Bol, Cheeks, Mahorn...

Who was the other guard?
    Hersey Hawkins.

Hall Of Fame
    Bol was profiled on Bryant Gumbels HBO show

and yes he has dedicated his life to his homeland and helping improve their quality of life

a very special man indeed, god bless him

Veteran
    Originally posted by huskeralk+Jul 1 2004, 07:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huskeralk @ Jul 1 2004, 07:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--faba@Jul 1 2004, 06:35 PM
    Yep, even when he was playing ball he gave a huge portion of his salary to his country and just kept what he needed to get by on. [/b][/quote]
    Very sad, especially how he would humiliate himself (celebrity Boxing, minor league hockey) just trying to raise money for S. Sudanese people. A shame how he was exploited. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money@Jul 2 2004, 09:17 AM
    A shame how he was exploited.
    how do you suppose he was exploited?

albeit, celebrity boxing and the likes are not very appealing he made these choices freely and willingly, not to be exploited but to use any necessesary means to raise money for a great cause, a cause that he dedicated his life to, I have a hard time thinking HE was exploited, that connotes that people took advantage of him for the good of their causes, he did everything he could to squeeze every ounce of publicity he could get from his name for a noble cause, not exploited at all IMO

Veteran
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jul 2 2004, 09:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Jul 2 2004, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Jul 2 2004, 09:17 AM
    A shame how he was exploited.
    how do you suppose he was exploited?

albeit, celebrity boxing and the likes are not very appealing he made these choices freely and willingly, not to be exploited but to use any necessesary means to raise money for a great cause, a cause that he dedicated his life to, I have a hard time thinking HE was exploited, that connotes that people took advantage of him for the good of their causes, he did everything he could to squeeze every ounce of publicity he could get from his name for a noble cause, not exploited at all IMO [/b][/quote]
    When people profit handomely from some one elses struggle, I consider it exploitation. I have no problem with him raising money for those causes in any mannar fit. What I have a problem with is the shameless profiting of these promoters trying to make a buck off someone trying to achieve a greater good. Just a case how we view things differently I guess

Hall Of Fame
    we may see it differently but it&#39;s really a win-win

if I am the promoter of the independent hockey league or whoever he was gonna play for, why would I not want to allow someone an opportunity to earn money for whatever reason they see fit and at the same time bring some pub to my cause? Its not like they signed him to sit in a dunk tank at some freak show carnival and have people throw softballs at him, I say the way he chose to raise money and the avenues he had available to him were not glamorous the fact that he made those choices freely precludes him from being exploited

IMO exploited is a very derrogatory word and means that someone basically pimped his ass out with little to no gain for him and its a win-lose relationship, Manute never involved himself in a win lose relationship, as a matter of fact we are here now commending him on his choices means that he wasn&#39;t taken advantage of, but I guess its your definition of exploitation taht makes the difference

in my book he is a hero and heroes cannot be exploited by the choices they make to become heroes

Practice Squad
    Man, I was a big fan of his--even during his college days.

When he was playing in the USBL with the Rhode Island Gulls (along with Spud Webb&#33, I would bike to see them take on the Surf at Westbury High School.

Because I was a kid, I got to talk to him--and even got to see his passport (he was showing it to a reporter) that listed him as being 5&#39; 2&#39;&#39; because they measured him sitting down.

Another great thing about the USBL back then was that Al "Grandpa" Lewis was a scout. (And now, David L. "Squiggy" Lander is a Mariners scout)

Veteran
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jul 2 2004, 09:33 AM

in my book he is a hero and heroes cannot be exploited by the choices they make to become heroes
    There is no disagreement in this point. I can see where you are coming from calling it a win win. But I rather see these companies making a sizable donation or a large chunk of the profits (and in all honesty I dont know if they did), then see someone have to the stunts he had to just raise a bit of money for his people. Trust me, Im far from a bleeding heart, but profits on others demise annoys me.

I also did not mean exploit to suggest I believe Bol was doing the wrong thing or acting in a shameful way. Giving of oneself for the betterment of society is truely admireable.

All Pro
    I caught the last half of it on ESPN last night, I sure
    hope he makes it through...

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 2 2004, 09:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 2 2004, 09:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green@Jul 2 2004, 09:33 AM

There is no disagreement in this point. I can see where you are coming from calling it a win win. But I rather see these companies making a sizable donation or a large chunk of the profits (and in all honesty I dont know if they did), then see someone have to the stunts he had to just raise a bit of money for his people. Trust me, Im far from a bleeding heart, but profits on others demise annoys me.

I also did not mean exploit to suggest I believe Bol was doing the wrong thing or acting in a shameful way. Giving of oneself for the betterment of society is truely admireable. [/b][/quote]
    cool, I think we understand each other better now

and yes if these entities wished to be charitable they should have made some contribution to his cause above and beyond what he got paid, but the bottom line is Bol is a great man and we all wish him the best recovery possible

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Gotta tell you, as for the Celebrity Boxing, I enjoyed the hell out of it. How could you not want to see Minut Bol box William the REFRIGERATOR Perry&#33; THAT was entertaining.