Thread: Proposed West Side Stadium...

Waterboy
    Hey guys - first time poster here (I'm getting away from the surreal events on TV now from the Euro 2004 football/soccer finals).

I've been following the Jets for a few years now, but there's one thing that's been bothering me about the plans for the new stadium on the West Side:

What's the planned capacity going to be? And is this going to be an increase or decrease from the current Meadowlands stadium?

Practice Squad
    Its supposed to seat 75000, which is smaller thatn giants stadium which seats around 80,000 i believe

Waterboy
    5,000 less? I take it they're hoping to lose some season ticket holders during the move?

Or are the stories of Jets home games always being sold out not true?

(I was planning on returning to NYC later this year, but I don't want to shell out over 700/$1300 on flights and accomodation, only to find out what there's no tickets.)

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Their hoping 20% OF NJ fans won`t make the trip across the bridge a lousey 20 minutes to have our own home , their sadley mistaken maybe 6% would bail for that reason the only reason a NJ fan gives up his tickets is if he is priced out of them ,not cause of an extra 20 minute drive, you see the one flaw these BRAIN SURGOENS have forgot to figure in is ,in order for all us NJ people to get tickets after the NY`ers bailed when the JETS moved to NJ , (I & all the other JOISEY folks had to be on the waiting list first ,Which means we were already traveling to SHEA when we signed on the list and had no idea there was any chance they`d ever move when we did ,Iwas on the list 9 years before I got tickets when we moved also aside from 5,000 less seats right off the bat , there will be even less seats for JOE PUBLIC cause their adding more CLUB, LUXOREY BOX`S SEATS ALMOST 2,000-3000 more high end seats which means that many less general seats , so right off the bat your looking at 8,000 less seats....

Waterboy
    So the total capacity will be 75,000 - but by the time you factor in the corporate hospitality tickets, we'd probably be looking at something like 20,000 LESS tickets for Joe Public?

It's the weirdest business plan I've seen in a long time - increasing the popularity of something that's already popular by reducing the size of the arena it takes place in. It's like WWE, except the Jets sell out most of their games (says the guy who spent a few grand to watch wrestling in NYC)

The thing I don't like is that the Jets could probably easily host a 100,000 seat stadium if it is in Manhattan. It doesn't make much sense to squeeze out John Q. Public. Of course, my guess is that the people who can't afford the tickets will buy them anyway and sell them however possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Originally posted by Brain Hemorrhage@Jul 4 2004, 10:49 PM
    The thing I don't like is that the Jets could probably easily host a 100,000 seat stadium if it is in Manhattan. It doesn't make much sense to squeeze out John Q. Public. Of course, my guess is that the people who can't afford the tickets will buy them anyway and sell them however possible.
    They could but the locals are already Bit*ching about traffic and congestion with 75,000 throw in 25,000 more and the locals would go really nuts!!

Originally posted by joiseyjet@Jul 4 2004, 05:59 PM
    Their hoping 20% OF NJ fans won`t make the trip across the bridge a lousey 20 minutes to have our own home , their sadley mistaken maybe 6% would bail for that reason the only reason a NJ fan gives up his tickets is if he is priced out of them ,not cause of an extra 20 minute drive, you see the one flaw these BRAIN SURGOENS have forgot to figure in is ,in order for all us NJ people to get tickets after the NY`ers bailed when the JETS moved to NJ , (I & all the other JOISEY folks had to be on the waiting list first ,Which means we were already traveling to SHEA when we signed on the list and had no idea there was any chance they`d ever move when we did ,Iwas on the list 9 years before I got tickets when we moved also aside from 5,000 less seats right off the bat , there will be even less seats for JOE PUBLIC cause their adding more CLUB, LUXOREY BOX`S SEATS ALMOST 2,000-3000 more high end seats which means that many less general seats , so right off the bat your looking at 8,000 less seats....
    They are also factoring in that about 20% of the tickets are owned by ticket brokers, who will not put up the PSL's that are going to be requested.

Also the NYJ, NJSA, NFL, and corporate sponsors have enough seats to cut back the number that they get and still have enough tickets to cover all the fans (the only one who won't be moving over are the NJSA).

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Originally posted by Bleed Green+Jul 5 2004, 10:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bleed Green @ Jul 5 2004, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--joiseyjet@Jul 4 2004, 05:59 PM
    They are also factoring in that about 20% of the tickets are owned by ticket brokers, who will not put up the PSL&#39;s that are going to be requested.

Also the NYJ, NJSA, NFL, and corporate sponsors have enough seats to cut back the number that they get and still have enough tickets to cover all the fans (the only one who won&#39;t be moving over are the NJSA). [/b][/quote]
    ok .that makes sense , I was nieve enough to believe that most of the present season ticket holders (Aside from the 20 % who gave them up when they moved here were real fans ans familes who`ve had then from generation to generation , I didn`t figure the corp. bigs would get control till the PSL`s came in and the regs. were priced out..

Veteran
    does anyone know if there is going to be some sort of jets motif to the stadium? like green and white seats, a giant vinny testaverde on the 50 yard line, etc?

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Why would we have a VINNEY TESTECLE anything in the stadium he`s playing for the cowgirls now ,if he retired a JET maybe but since he didn`t forget him

Kangaroo F*cker
    The Jets should take a page out of the Patriots book when it comes to the new Stadium. In the old crap-hole that was Foxboro Stadium the capacity was 60 something thousand. Gillette Stadium has a capacity of 68,000. This allowed every Pats Season Ticket Holder the right to renew their tickets plus the chance for Kraft to sell the money making luxury boxes and Club Suites to the high rollers.