Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Monday night games

All League
    NFL | To Schedule Two Monday Night Football Games? - from www.KFFL.com
    Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:21:16 -0700

Jeff Duncan, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said the league is considering the idea of scheduling two Monday Night Football games in the future and selecting the better one to televise nationally. "We could start out with a single game on Monday night in the schedule and go to two games scheduled on Monday night later in the season, when the uncertainties are bigger," Tagliabue told the Los Angeles Times. "So there would be a lot of ways to do it. That's a priority, and it's also a priority for Sunday night as well."

This may have been discussed before but I am trying to break the tension. This is great idea-that meaningful games will be on the schedule late in the season on Monday night.

Hall Of Fame
    the point is to boost the ratings and avoid matchups taht look great early on and end up being duds cause both teams suck by year's end

ie Dolfins v. Pats at the end of this season

another idea is to not pick the monday night game till a week or two before the game date, for example they would list two or three possible monday nighters and see how the teams are playing and name the finalist about two weeks before so the teams and venues can make final preperations

what tension??? <_<

All League
    Just trying to be peacemaker-we all know Dolphins will definitely be on late in the season due tio their December swoon&#33;

Veteran
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jul 6 2004, 10:01 AM

another idea is to not pick the monday night game till a week or two before the game date, for example they would list two or three possible monday nighters and see how the teams are playing and name the finalist about two weeks before so the teams and venues can make final preperations

I think this is really unfair to fans. Imagine if you brought tickets to a Sunday 1/2/05 1 o clock Jets/ @Rams. You book hotels, flights etc and a week before the NFL switches everything on you. You get screwed, plus have to take additional days off work. People have the right to know when a game they are buying tickets for is going to be played.

All Pro
    ok but what about peope who have tickets to what they think is a Sunday game and it becomes a Monday game - once again the almight dollar comes before the leagues faithful fans&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 6 2004, 10:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 6 2004, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green@Jul 6 2004, 10:01 AM

I think this is really unfair to fans. Imagine if you brought tickets to a Sunday 1/2/05 1 o clock Jets/ @Rams. You book hotels, flights etc and a week before the NFL switches everything on you. You get screwed, plus have to take additional days off work. People have the right to know when a game they are buying tickets for is going to be played. [/b][/quote]
    yeah I think thats the big problem with taht plan, but the bottom line is that the NFL and ABC want the best game and the highest ratings to bring in advertisers and they have been stuck with some chump games the last few years, so something has to give

Veteran
    Schedule 2 monday night games.....play both...televise better matchup nationally, other one locally. Works for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jul 6 2004, 10:17 AM
    Schedule 2 monday night games.....play both...televise better matchup nationally, other one locally. Works for me.
    I think thats their best poa, however still a chance you get stuck with two crappy games and also it diminshes the grandeur of what Monday night has always been about- supposedly the game of the week

but the organization must change with the times right?

All League
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jul 6 2004, 11:17 AM
    Yeah, I am not down with that...

Sure, there are some games that are better than others, but that is why Monday night football is so nice. You get to see a team that you would not normally watch play in primetime.

I would rather they get more games in HD this year.

BZ

Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jul 6 2004, 10:01 AM

what tension??? <_<
    CBS and Fox, though, are not willing to give up that game just so ABC can get the game of the week.

Schedule two before the season and pick the better one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It is what every other sport has done.

remember when teh MLB game of teh week was the Saturday day game, and that was the only game that could be seen anywhere?

Now Fox has made that pretty much a regional game based where you live.

As long as DirectTV give an alternate feed for the othe game, I am cool with it. They have been talking about it for years

All League
    It makes sense just like NCAA football does with its regional telecasts going to different parts of the country. Two games planned on Monday night and the better matchup goes national.

All League
    Originally posted by Scott Dierking@Jul 6 2004, 12:21 PM

remember when teh MLB game of teh week was the Saturday day game, and that was the only game that could be seen anywhere?

As long as DirectTV give an alternate feed for the othe game, I am cool with it. They have been talking about it for years
    I don&#39;t think they will, since DirecTV only shows the 1pm/4pm games. Never a night game or Monday night.

BZ

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by BwanaZulia+Jul 6 2004, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BwanaZulia @ Jul 6 2004, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking@Jul 6 2004, 12:21 PM

I don&#39;t think they will, since DirecTV only shows the 1pm/4pm games. Never a night game or Monday night.

BZ [/b][/quote]
    There has never been occassion before where there have been 2 games on a Monday or Sunday night.

I would hope that they do like they do on a college football Saturday night with ABC, where if you don&#39;t get the national game, you have the option of tuning in the secondary game.

It only helps the network and the fans in the long run

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by BwanaZulia+Jul 6 2004, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BwanaZulia @ Jul 6 2004, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking@Jul 6 2004, 12:21 PM

BZ [/b][/quote]
    ABC owns both Sunday night and Monday night games so DTV will never be able to show them

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Jul 6 2004, 04:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Jul 6 2004, 04:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -BwanaZulia@Jul 6 2004, 03:46 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking
    @Jul 6 2004, 12:21 PM

BZ
    ABC owns both Sunday night and Monday night games so DTV will never be able to show them [/b][/quote]
    ABC could very easily givge them the rights-You will only get it if you have the NFL package.

Again, ABC woulkd be able to attract a bigger audince by, say if some fans don&#39;t like the Natl game, and would not watch it, BUT if they got to see the alternate game, they would,

Better ratings.

ABC does the same thing with DirectTV on teh college games on Sat night

Veteran
    I would not be a fan of this, what makes Monday Night Football so special is that there is only ONE game being played. Not to mention I would be upset if the Jets were determined the unworthy game and weren&#39;t televised.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by nyjet80@Jul 6 2004, 06:23 PM
    I would not be a fan of this, what makes Monday Night Football so special is that there is only ONE game being played. Not to mention I would be upset if the Jets were determined the unworthy game and weren&#39;t televised.
    they would have to televise the local team in their regions, I would think

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Jul 6 2004, 07:08 PM
    they would have to televise the local team in their regions, I would think
    absolutely - short of a blackout, which would never happen in NY, they&#39;ll always do better in ad &#036;&#036; showing a local game when there&#39;s one to show (no matter what city). none of the parties involved (the league, the networks, the unions, etc) is giving that up to have &#39;the most competitive game&#39; shown everywhere.

All League
    The other thing is that it would screw up Monday Night Countdown. I love that they just focus on Sunday&#39;s games and the two teams playing that week. Yes, I know they could focus on more, but I would much rather it just be one game.

Basically, I think it would wreck the importance of the Monday night game. Two teams, one game, it is HUGE. If we are going for 2, when not 3, or 4? Why not play all games on Sunday (3 slots) and Monday (1 slot)? With more teams we could have 8 games in each slot. So 8 games at 1pm, 8 games at 4pm, 8 games at 8pm and another 8 games the next day at 9pm. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

BZ