Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yep...another thread about

Veteran
    Alright, so when Lamont leaves next season who takes the blame for using a second round pick on a RB who averaged less than four carries per game in his first three seasons?

Is it Terry for taking a guy in the 2nd only to re-sign the guy he was sitting behind long term?

Is it Herm for his refusal to play him?

I definitely believe that LJs talent justifies a second round pick, but this organization took him and then let him rot. As far as I'm concerned there is no way in hell he stays with this team unless they're willing to give him big money in which case there would be a TON of cash tied up in the RB position. With our other key FA coming up after this season I just don't see LJ getting a big pay day.

So while taking LJ was not a what I would consider a bust, it was definitely a wasted pick.

2nd rd RB...3 carries per game <_<

Charter JI Member
    Look at it this way, you take out insurance on your life for your family, you just hope you never have to cash in on it.

Hopefully we get to see alot more of him this year. I believe he can get it done

All League
    drafting jordan ensured that the team had a serviceable backup were martin to go down.

Veteran
    Originally posted by jetswin@Jul 28 2004, 12:26 PM
    Look at it this way, you take out insurance on your life for your family, you just hope you never have to cash in on it.
    I agree 100%, but if I&#39;m drafting a back up RB who should plan on sitting for three or four years, I wait &#39;til round 4 or later....let your first three picks be guys who you actually plan on using if they turn out to be good enough.

Charter JI Member
    Originally posted by AirForceJetFan+Jul 28 2004, 12:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AirForceJetFan @ Jul 28 2004, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin@Jul 28 2004, 12:26 PM
    I agree 100%, but if I&#39;m drafting a back up RB who should plan on sitting for three or four years, I wait &#39;til round 4 or later....let your first three picks be guys who you actually plan on using if they turn out to be good enough. [/b][/quote]
    He fell to a spot he never should have...we lament underuse of Lamont, but we should be happy that a great pick was made. We may end up losing him for nithing, but I refuse to look at it that way, we have two great backs, and if one of &#39;em wants to go smoke weed in Thailand we&#39;ll still be ok. B)

All Pro
    Falls on Herm, his blind loyalty to Curtis is gross.

Bradway did his job in getting Herm a solid back-up but Herm has to make sure Curtis gets his 1,000 yards a season

I mean Martin was hobbling around on 2 bad ankles a couple years back and Herm still wouldn&#39;t play Jordan.

Veteran
    Originally posted by pope@Jul 28 2004, 12:39 PM
    Falls on Herm, his blind loyalty to Curtis is gross.

Bradway did his job in getting Herm a solid back-up but Herm has to make sure Curtis gets his 1,000 yards a season

I mean Martin was hobbling around on 2 bad ankles a couple years back and Herm still wouldn&#39;t play Jordan.
    I still get sick when I think back to that. People want to say "we got a solid back up". EXACTLY&#33;&#33;&#33; But he was NEVER used to find out what he could do. If there was any time that he should have gotten a look it was when Curtis was hurt and running for 30 yds a game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Lamont Jordan gets his chances -

dial up Sept 28 2002 - Jax 28 Jets 3 - Martin too injured to play... vinny pulled... chad is driving the team

fumble at the goalline???

---

dial up the PIttsburgh blizzard game from last season. Curtis runs the length of the field, comes off to get a blow... Lamont gets a carry... Fumble&#33;&#33;&#33;

---

enough experiences like that i&#39;d have blind loyalty to Curtis too

All League
    I saw some stat on Sportcenter like 2 days ago when they were talking about the percentage of rushing attempts that Ricky gets in comparison to his team and he was highest at like 80.4% or something like that... they also listed the others in the top 5 and Martin was like 79 or 78%... kinda surprised me to hear this but damn, give Lamont the ball at least a little bit... then again the dude needs to hold onto it and push the pile when he gets it...

All League
    Originally posted by bitonti@Jul 28 2004, 12:49 PM

dial up Sept 28 2002 - Jax 28 Jets 3 - Martin too injured to play... vinny pulled... chad is driving the team

---

dial up the PIttsburgh blizzard game from last season. Curtis runs the length of the field, comes off to get a blow... Lamont gets a carry... Fumble&#33;&#33;&#33;

---

i hear dat&#33;&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti@Jul 28 2004, 12:49 PM

---

---

You cherry pick your football just like you do your politics

All Pro
    I dont blame Bradway one bit for drafting Jordan in the second round after he dropped following his senior season. That was great value at that pick IMO. Im not sure Bradway OR Herm expected him to be on the bench still.

I do partially blame the coaching staff for not working him in more, especially last year. Im hoping Herm splits the carries 65/35 or 70/30 Martin/Jordan, but that&#39;s the same hope I had last year and it didnt pan out.

I also blame Curtis for being an iron man. Most RBs you&#39;d anticipate would have fallen off the cliff by now, but he&#39;s still got some gas left in the tank. I blame him, in a good way. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    when jordan was drafted, the jets thought they had a super bowl contending team and they needed a backup rb. martin was signed to a huge contract and was still productive so there was no way he was going to sit. jordan was good value at the spot he was drafted. let&#39;s not forget that we actually wanted og todd light but new england knew that and dealt up to get him right before we picked.

as much as i want to see jordan play more, i can&#39;t blame herm for using martin as he has. the guy is making too much coin, it wasn&#39;t herm&#39;s fault (or bradway&#39;s), and jordan isn&#39;t a star, just a good rb.

how much better would the jets be with jordan getting all those carries, probably not much. a bigger problem with martin is that our offense is so predictable with him in the game, just using him as a decoy would open things up.

Veteran
    The fact of the matter is that for the upcoming &#39;04 season LaMont Jordan will be a Jet. He&#39;ll get his chances. Hopefully he&#39;ll make the most of it. He&#39;s a tough runner with a good burst of speed. He&#39;s money in the red zone & short yardage situations as well as special teams. I would love to keep him in a Jets uniform next season, but it&#39;s more likely than not that he&#39;ll be a cap casualty.

Charter JI Member
    Originally posted by augustiniak@Jul 28 2004, 01:00 PM
    a bigger problem with martin is that our offense is so predictable with him in the game, just using him as a decoy would open things up.
    I think the predictability thing has more to do with Hacker than Curtis.

I loved Mike Augustiniak when he played, tough mofo B)

Hall Of Fame
    it&#39;s not that curtis is predictable. but when you run him 80% of the run plays, and throw to him a lot in the flat, the offense becomes predictable. we want defenses to wonder who&#39;s getting the ball, not wonder whether it&#39;s curtis left, right or screen pass.

with all the jordan talk, they actually have 2 guys now who can probably handle the backup rb duties for now. and unless you have an amazing rb like tomlinson, whether you have lamont jordan or anthony thomas or antowain smith, isn&#39;t that big of a deal. the teams that win can stop the run.

All League
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet@Jul 28 2004, 12:54 PM
    I dont blame Bradway one bit for drafting Jordan in the second round after he dropped following his senior season. That was great value at that pick IMO. Im not sure Bradway OR Herm expected him to be on the bench still.

I do partially blame the coaching staff for not working him in more, especially last year. Im hoping Herm splits the carries 65/35 or 70/30 Martin/Jordan, but that&#39;s the same hope I had last year and it didnt pan out.

I also blame Curtis for being an iron man. Most RBs you&#39;d anticipate would have fallen off the cliff by now, but he&#39;s still got some gas left in the tank. I blame him, in a good way. :lol:
    didn&#39;t you know curtis martin&#39;s washed up? or that he was never that great of a player? didn&#39;t you know 9 consecutive 1000 yard seasons was nothing because he never rushed for 2000 or broke 50 yard runs every 5 carries? you should know this. he&#39;s washed up garbage. it&#39;s so easy to see after he only got 1300 rushing yards behind a pathetic offensive line. if jordan started last year he would&#39;ve had 3000 yards&#33; that&#39;s how good he is. when he leaves, he&#39;s going to break the single season rushing record. the jets will fall apart, because running back is the hardest position in all of football to replace, besides quarterback, cornerback, tight end, wide receiver, all the offensive and defensive line spots, and linebacker. having a solid backup was so stupid&#33;

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

the thing about getting jordan more carries, and make no mistake, i&#39;d love to see at least a 70/30 split, is that it&#39;s easy to say &#39;split the load 70/30&#39; or &#39;60/40&#39; or whatever, but you don&#39;t script the whole game - all of the sudden you&#39;re down 2, it&#39;s third and 3 at the 40, and you just ran curtis for 7, but you feel like he&#39;s the man to get you 3.1 yds off tackle. then it&#39;s 1st & 10, you want to get another 10 yds at least, you feel that curtis is the man to do it, and you know he&#39;s not putting the ball on the ground. so you run him some more. you score, you stop them, get the ball back, and now you&#39;re protecting a lead - again, you have to go to curtis. next thing you know, bingo, he&#39;s got 35 carries and lamont&#39;s got 6.

it&#39;s a lot easier to say &#39;split the load&#39; when you&#39;re not considering situations in the game. i hope lamont gets some run this year, i think it would be better for both of them and the team, but i think in most situations, with the exception of needing a 60 yard run (and there aren&#39;t many of those plays in the book ), i&#39;d have more confidence in curtis. i think lamont will be a nice back for someone, but i couldn&#39;t say with any conviction that i think he&#39;ll ever approach curtis&#39; level...

damn, that was a lot longer than i thought it would be. let me summarize:
    lamont good. curtis better.

Veteran
    This is one of those situations where everyone can share the blame…

B-Way should not have taken him with the second round pick, especially with so many other needs that year.

Herm continued to promise more playing time, but never delivered.

Hackett should have pushed for him to be more of an option if he’s as good as they say.

Curtis should have asked for a breather to get him involved (He already has his money, time to think of what is best for the team).