View Poll Results: Could Jon McGraw make the transition from FS to CB?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.07%
  • No

46 79.31%
  • I don't know

5 8.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGraw to CB

JetsInsider.com Legend
    just a thought - and the impetus behind this question is both the possiblity that Donnie Abraham isn't all the way back from injury and the possible emerging of Erik Coleman at the FS spot.

they always say McGraw covers like a corner... my question is can he play corner?

at that height and weight he looks more like a punter than a FS

thoughts?

Banned
    no way. IF coleman actually does really good in camp, I would just move McGraw back to SS and put coleman at FS.

Bitter
    Nope, from what I've seen of him he's pretty athletic for a safety but nowhere near as athletic as say a Roy Williams. While he's pretty fast for a safety I just don't see how he could have the speed to keep up with the top receivers. His only shot would be at nickelback and that seems like it would be a waste since most of you guys seem to be pretty high on him at safety in the first place.

Rookie
    If you remember, one of the major reasons Cotrell loved McGraw was because he lined up against WR's 1 on 1 in the CB drills at the combine and more than held his own...but this cant happen.

You cant make your starting safety into a first time CB and plug a rookie at safety. Not to mention there are 4 solid CBs and 4 shaky safetys on the roster as it stands now. McGraw/Tongue is scary enough.

Practice Squad
    Not gonna do it

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Obviously he lacks the speed and especially the agility to make such a move. He'd better get on his horse, becuse this year he's got some competition back there.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Jul 28 2004, 08:04 PM
    no way. IF coleman actually does really good in camp, I would just move McGraw back to SS and put coleman at FS.
    I agree...McGraw's cover skills are mediocre at best for FS never mind corneback.

Further, he'd only be able to play in press coverage and unless the Jets make a quick change most of their defensive sets have the corners playing man-off.

Maxman
    Bit...I know you were just throwing this out there. But I have never seen a landslide poll before.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    McGraw can&#39;t even play safety. I don&#39;t like him, he&#39;s shown me zero in the last 2 seasons. If he gets hurt again this season it&#39;s time to boot his ass and cut our losses, hopefully Washington or Coleman can take his place. My opinion is this kid is just too damn frail to be an NFL starter. He did his best work on special teams and didn&#39;t get hurt in that capacity. <_<

All League
    If the Jets were going to play a lot of zone, I think Mcgraw could be a possabiltiy.
    I don&#39;t see a lot of potential in Eric Coleman, special teamer at best, probably the practice squad. We took Eric in the 5th, I think he was a 7th rounder. I would have preferred Will Allen from Ohio State in the fourth.

Hall Of Fame
    I&#39;m not even convinced yet that McGraw can play safety.

Veteran
    Keep him at safety.

Henderson did an above average job with the Ravens secondary...maybe McGraw will benefit.

Hall Of Fame
    where have you heard that ABraham is not back from his injury, I&#39;ve heard no such talk, at least not with this abraham

Hall Of Fame
    i got 3 words for u.

Piazza, first, base.

dont reinvent the wheel.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by JetOrange@Jul 29 2004, 08:20 AM
    If the Jets were going to play a lot of zone, I think Mcgraw could be a possabiltiy.
    I don&#39;t see a lot of potential in Eric Coleman, special teamer at best, probably the practice squad. We took Eric in the 5th, I think he was a 7th rounder. I would have preferred Will Allen from Ohio State in the fourth.
    I think you are going to be very surprised by Coleman&#39;s play; I watched a lot of Wazzu and he is very underrated. May only be a dime back next year but for a late round pick I think he will be a bargain.

All League
    Originally posted by soppel@Jul 28 2004, 10:43 PM
    If you remember, one of the major reasons Cotrell loved McGraw was because he lined up against WR&#39;s 1 on 1 in the CB drills at the combine and more than held his own...but this cant happen.

You cant make your starting safety into a first time CB and plug a rookie at safety. Not to mention there are 4 solid CBs and 4 shaky safetys on the roster as it stands now. McGraw/Tongue is scary enough.
    i wouldn&#39;t include tongue in that shaky safety group. i&#39;d say tongue is the only solid safety on the team.

McGraw sucks as a safety. He is too lanky to play strong and too slow to play free. I am willing to bet that he is going to be forced to try to be a nickelback/corner because Coleman and Washington are just flat out better players. We were lucky to draft both Coleman and Washington this year because both are physical run defenders who can hold their own in coverage.

Get ready to be pleasantly surprised by both of these guys and don&#39;t be surprised if both of these guys start by game 4.

All League
    Some folks are talking in JULY about Coleman being a major steal in this draft. I f this is truly the case, maybe Mcgraw one on one, as a corner on David Boston. I think Boston likes a diet of 5&#39;10 corners, put Mcgrraw on this guy with deep help.
    Maybe only as a change up defense, or within the 20 to prevent fade patterns.

I must admit when this post first came out, I thought it was nuts, but you kick the idea around for a time and you see possabilities

Waterboy
    McGraw is slow? I thought speed was one of his strengths. werent people talking about him having 4.3, 4.4 speed last year at this time? i hope he can finally put everything together and become a solid pro, otherwise i agree we gotta give the job to someone else

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Nein...McGraw is a natural safety and it would make no sense for him make an attempt at CB.....if he can just stay healthy ....he is a player.