Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star-Ledger Bradway Interview

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jets' GM thinks he has team back on track
    Thursday, July 29, 2004
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Jets general manager Terry Bradway has a bounce in his step. His voice is full of energy and anticipation. His mood is upbeat.

After enduring a 2003 free-agency off-season that turned into a private hell and a 6-10 regular season that was equally disastrous, Bradway believes he has the Jets back on track as they report to training camp today at Hofstra University.

He has infused the roster with youth, speed and athleticism through the draft and free agency, and secured a two-year extension for coach Herman Edwards.

Under growing pressure this off-season, Bradway responded by drafting middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma in the first round, cornerback Derrick Strait in the third and obtaining former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin McCareins with a second-rounder.

He added cornerback David Barrett, linebacker Eric Barton and safety Reggie Tongue via free agency, and new defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson has promised multiple fronts and blitz packages.

Quarterback Chad Pennington is healthy and the offense is loaded, with McCareins, Santana Moss and Wayne Chrebet at the receivers and running backs Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan driving the ground game.

"I'm excited about this team," Bradway said. "I'm going to enjoy this season. I really am. At least I got off to a good start, anyway."

Bradway, who has this season and next remaining on his contract, recently spoke with The Star Ledger:

What kind of season are you expecting from quarterback Chad Pennington?

Chad is going to continue to develop as a quarterback the more games he plays. Every time a quarterback goes on the field, he going to learn something and that's the strength of Chad's game, the mental part of it. I think we've surrounded him with some good players now.

Where do contract talks stand with Pennington, John Abraham and Shaun Ellis?

We've had preliminary discussions with a group of them. I don't know whether we're going to get anything done or not. I would hope that we would at some point with some of them. If we don't, we won't carry it into the season.

What do you think is the key to the season?

It's just a matter of us getting together and staying healthy. It's key that Pennington, John Abraham, Donnie Abraham, Wayne Chrebet and Jon McGraw play 16 games. If we're going to be a good team, those guys are going to have to play and play well.

Also, we have to get off to a good start. That's one thing we haven't done in three years. We've had some pretty good finishes. But we've been a combined 3-9 over the first four games of each season. We've constantly had to battle back. I don't think you can afford to do that on a steady diet and hope to be successful.

How do you feel about the progress of DT Dewayne Robertson?

He had a good off-season. The key with him is keeping his weight in the 317-pound range. I talked to (defensive line coach) Denny Marcin, and he's pleased with Dewayne. I asked him, 'Does the guy want to be a great player?' Denny thought he did.

It's going to be important for him to play well. We need him to be the player that everybody thought he was coming out. It's a Catch-22 sometimes. You move up (in the draft) and take a guy who everybody has as the top defensive player on their board. You want to sell him as being a great player, but there's a problem in that because rarely does a defensive lineman reach that in his first year.

You have four first-round picks on the defensive line. How do you feel about that group?

That group, on paper, should be pretty good. I would be shocked if there were a lot of teams who have a better starting four than those guys. Shaun (Ellis) has been the most consistent of any of them. John (Abraham) has been inconsistent. He's a great talent. He can change a game. But he has to stay on the field and be more consistent.

Are you comfortable with the backup quarterback situation?

We don't have a backup quarterback who has taken a snap in the league, so that's a little bit of a concern. We hope that Brooks (Bollinger) and Ricky (Ray) get a good shot in the preseason. I like what we saw in Brooks last year (in the preseason). He played in a lot of big games in the Big Ten (at Wisconsin), so he's not afraid of competition. But we're going to keep our eye open in August at a number of positions such as quarterback, safety and the offensive line.

What's the latest on RB LaMont Jordan?

I didn't want to give up on LaMont Jordan. I wasn't going to give him away. Even if we only have him for a year, he can help us win.

Are Edwards and offensive coordinator Paul Hackett on the same page?

I don't believe Herm has ever lost any confidence. Paul has a system of offense that is disciplined and it's well-suited for every quarterback we have in our program. We have eight starters back from last year who have been with Paul since he came here in 2001. This group should be ready to come into its own. We have a chance to be pretty good on offense.

How close is this team to being what you've always envisioned as the ideal team?

It's difficult to have the perfect team, but I like the makeup of this team. We're closer to some of the things we'd like to do. There's not as many square pegs in round holes.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

WoooooooooooHoooooooooooo, I am so pumped........I wish training camp was starting tomorrow........... :lol:

All League
    Interesting comment to me is that in August will be looking at waiver wire for QB, safety and O/L
    Depth as many posts have pointed out is concern for O/L, safety a little puzzling considering all the guys we have in camp as safeties and we brought in Tongue as free agent.

Veteran
    We are going to be an AWESOME team this year, watch out!!!!!! :lol:

All Pro
    Originally posted by faba@Jul 29 2004, 02:08 PM
    Interesting comment to me is that in August will be looking at waiver wire for QB, safety and O/L
    Depth as many posts have pointed out is concern for O/L, safety a little puzzling considering all the guys we have in camp as safeties and we brought in Tongue as free agent.
    I guess the thing with the safeties is that there are six guys in camp listed at safety (seven if you count Omare Lowe, who also has been listed at corner at times) and while the rookies' potential is exciting, the others are solid (but not spectacular - and thats not a knock on them), and who knows what other safeties shake loose after cuts start being made.

McGraw - history of injuries.
    Tongue - new to the team.
    Pagel - unproven.
    Coleman, Washington and Weaver - rookies.

Hopefully the guys above get it done, but if they don't, Im glad they'll have an eye on the waiver wire.

Another interesting point is that the positions named above (S, OL, and even backup QB) can be had fairly cheaply, so it makes sense from a standpoint of fitting in with the cap space they have left.

Banned
    he sounds so lazy in his pursuit of signing Ellis, Abe and Pennington.

I do not like that one bit. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND SIGN ELLIS AND PENNINGTON TO LONG TERM DEALS YOU MORON!!!! I SWEAR, IF ELLIS OR PENNINGTON LEAVES I WILL FIND YOU AND KICK YOUR ASS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Jul 29 2004, 02:02 PM

Jets general manager Terry Bradway has a bounce in his step.
    His daughter must have been sitting on his lap in her cheerleader uniform last night.

Were you G-Cubed? :o

Hall Of Fame
    I, for one, am glad the FO is taking a wait and see approach with Chad. He doesn't deserve big money yet, or a long-term deal. He hasn't proven that he's worth it yet. Abraham gets hurt way to much. Ellis, yeah...I'd sign him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Jul 29 2004, 02:17 PM
    he sounds so lazy in his pursuit of signing Ellis, Abe and Pennington.

I do not like that one bit. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND SIGN ELLIS AND PENNINGTON TO LONG TERM DEALS YOU MORON!!!! I SWEAR, IF ELLIS OR PENNINGTON LEAVES I WILL FIND YOU AND KICK YOUR ASS.
    Relax tough guy...........in due time..........Pennington's not going anywhere........he fully admitted that it's a wait and see with Ray and Bollinger and he may have to look for a Vet back-up QB, do you really think he wants to look for a starting QB too.......... :blink: Chad is here through this year and they will sign him..........

I can't wait to see what this board looks like after your loss to the Bengals.

Man, its gonna be PRICELESS....... :lol:

Veteran
    yeah we need to make those guys priority right away!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by FlyingElvis@Jul 29 2004, 02:22 PM

If the Jets beat the Bengals will you go away? You freak...........

Veteran
    Originally posted by FlyingElvis@Jul 29 2004, 02:22 PM

We will see!

All League
    Originally posted by jetgirl@Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM
    Be nice JG

All League
    Originally posted by jetgirl+Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgirl @ Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--FlyingElvis@Jul 29 2004, 02:22 PM
    I can&#39;t wait to see what this board looks like after your loss to the Bengals.

If the Jets beat the Bengals will you go away? You freak........... [/b][/quote]
    no such luck&#33; <_<

Originally posted by jetgirl+Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgirl @ Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--FlyingElvis@Jul 29 2004, 02:22 PM
    I can&#39;t wait to see what this board looks like after your loss to the Bengals.

If the Jets beat the Bengals will you go away? You freak........... [/b][/quote]
    Freak???

Ok, I guess its time to take the gloves off again JG.....

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: He sounds lazy?

These guys are under contract and Pennington will be a jet...even if it&#39;s done after the season. The Jets know what they are doing...Pennington wants to remein a Jet and if it&#39;s not done now it&#39;ll happen after the 2004 season...i have no problem with that....if we lose Abe next year then so be it...he is a damn good player but has been injured so much..with that said, he may still stay a Jet in 2005 along with Ellis....we don&#39;t know yet...they will be playing for us in 2004 and I&#39;m cool with that...the Jet bought in some good talent and as said more players might be coming in after the waiver wire start.

Jets are on track.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by FlyingElvis+Jul 29 2004, 02:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingElvis @ Jul 29 2004, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -jetgirl@Jul 29 2004, 02:25 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--FlyingElvis
    @Jul 29 2004, 02:22 PM

Freak???

Ok, I guess its time to take the gloves off again JG..... [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve been calling you a freak all day and you just now noticed it?????? A little slow today......... :lol:

Hey TampaT.........I have got to get back in good graces with JonE........I have to be tough............. :lol:

So, tell me, what would it take for you to go away?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Listen Flying Elvis is a nice mascot and all but to constantly make an assanine remark about the Jets is gettin kinda old....I mean I love looking at him and getting a laugh (friggin great Avatar&#33 but the idiotic statements are a wee bit old....I could care less about Chowds etc on the board but if a jet fan responds to an egghead comment thats also ok.......

And jetgirl where do u come off calling Flying Elvis a freak&#33;&#33;???

I&#39;m the only Freakazoid around here&#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m hurt Angry

You are buying the beers during the Jets/Miami game in december&#33;&#33;&#33;

I drink Coor&#39;s Light

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetsfreak@Jul 29 2004, 02:33 PM
    :ph34r: Listen Flying Elvis is a nice mascot and all but to constantly make an assanine remark about the Jets is gettin kinda old....I mean I love looking at him and getting a laugh (friggin great Avatar&#33 but the idiotic statements are a wee bit old....I could care less about Chowds etc on the board but if a jet fan responds to an egghead comment thats also ok.......

And jetgirl where do u come off calling Flying Elvis a freak&#33;&#33;???

I&#39;m the only Freakazoid around here&#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m hurt Angry

You are buying the beers during the Jets/Miami game in december&#33;&#33;&#33;

I drink Coor&#39;s Light
    Sorry JF...........my bad......

I will definately buy the beers at the Jets/Phins game in December since the game is in November......... :lol: I can save a ton of money.........

I drink Coors light too......I knew there were other reasons I liked you....