Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Vinny and Bill Win the Super Bowl

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I know, kind of an unrealistic question somewhat, but....

IF Vinny wins the Starting Job in Dallas and has a good year, with Dallas going very deep into the playoffs, or even winning the Big Game, IS Vinny Testeverte a HOF QB.

Is he a HOF QB now?

Hall Of Fame
    no way hof now.

MAYBE if he wins the big one. his #s are up there

Veteran
    IMHO.....no

Vinny has never been the best player in the league at his position and only once or twice could he even be considered top ten.

His totals are due to longevity, not greatness.

Rookie
    Yes

Rookie
    when we think of Vinny T as Jets fans, we think of the few good (one great) season that he gave us. However, his perception from the rest of the NFL is a over-hyped quarterback who threw a million INT's with Tampa....before he came to the Jets, this was my impression of Testaverde.

If he wins the SB, maybe he sheds that label. But I do not consider him HOF caliber. He is a compiler of #'s.

That being said, I love Vinny T and greatly appreciate everything he did for us while he was in Green and White.

All League
    No, Vinny is not a hall of fame QB. Is Brad Johnson?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JETSJetsJetsJets@Aug 4 2004, 01:43 PM
    when we think of Vinny T as Jets fans, we think of the few good (one great) season that he gave us. However, his perception from the rest of the NFL is a over-hyped quarterback who threw a million INT's with Tampa....before he came to the Jets, this was my impression of Testaverde.

If he wins the SB, maybe he sheds that label. But I do not consider him HOF caliber. He is a compiler of #'s.

That being said, I love Vinny T and greatly appreciate everything he did for us while he was in Green and White.
    exactly - a compiler of numbers.

when you have played as long as vinny has, its inevitable. just like the random great season or two.

even the blind squirrel finds the occassional acorn

Rookie
    When did he stop throwing a ton of interceptions?

All Pro
    I pretty much root against Tuna and I don't like Dallas but if there is one ex-Jet I would like to succeed, its Vinny. I would love to see him some way somehow get a ring. He was all class here.

Hall Of Fame
    Here's the thing - players can't just decide to stick around and "compile" numbers. The average NFL career is about three years. If you throw for 40,000 yards, it's an accomplishment in and of itself, regardless of how many years it took to do it. No one can just say, "You know what? I feel like sticking around forever and inflating my stats coach...so how's about you let me start?"

That said, I do not think Vinny is a HOF QB right now. But, if he wins the SB then I do think he's a HOF QB. If he starts for a whole season and plays decently, he'd have about as many TD passes as Montana, more passing yards than Fouts, more completions than Montana, and he'd be in the top 6 or 7 in all of those categories. If you add a SB title to that resume, I think a strong case can be made for his induction. However, I would NEVER contend that he's an all-time great QB or anything, and would even agree that a case can be made against him being in the HOF. My personal opinion is that yes, he'd deserve it.

Banned
    Even if Vinny wins the Sb this year, I don't think he belongs in the HOF....look at his stats...His two best years are the year he took the Browns to the playoffs and 1998. He is a good qb..but just being a Good QB is not HOF quality.

I consider HOF quality Elway, Marino (THE DEVIL), Farve, Montana, Namath, these Qb's were feared...No one fears vinny...he lacks a certain killer instinct and comeback ability...he cannot carry a team...that is HOF quality...

LL

I think Phil Simms is more of a HOF qb than VT.

All League
    Originally posted by Warfish@Aug 4 2004, 01:37 PM
    I know, kind of an unrealistic question somewhat, but....

IF Vinny wins the Starting Job in Dallas and has a good year, with Dallas going very deep into the playoffs, or even winning the Big Game, IS Vinny Testeverte a HOF QB.

Is he a HOF QB now?
    no. he hasn't had many good seasons. one with baltimore, 2 with the jets, and then assuming one with dallas this year, that makes 4 good seasons in a career that long. no way.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: even if he won the superbowl (and of course it aint happening) he would not get in....he has some great numbers but too much interceptions in his career.

All League
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 4 2004, 02:29 PM
    :ph34r: even if he won the superbowl (and of course it aint happening) he would not get in....he has some great numbers but too much interceptions in his career.
    Like Namath?

All League
    He's had a few good years in a very mediocre career.

Definetly no.

Rookie
    Going on numbers alone, Namath would not have been in the HOF. He threw for more INT's than TD's in his career. That being said, there is obviously an emphasis on contribution to the game, and, in Namath's case, his accomplishments far outweighed his mediocre lifetime statistics.

Vinny has much, MUCH better numbers than most hall of fame QB's, yet I do not consider him a GREAT quarterback.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: Like namath????

Hmmm lesseee

Namath won the superbowl with the team that drafted him....he won a game that no one on the planet expected them to win.....he beat the big bad Colts....He was Braodway Joe.

You can't compare Vinny with Namath

Sheesh

All League
    Originally posted by JETSJetsJetsJets@Aug 4 2004, 02:39 PM
    Going on numbers alone, Namath would not have been in the HOF. He threw for more INT's than TD's in his career. That being said, there is obviously an emphasis on contribution to the game, and, in Namath's case, his accomplishments far outweighed his mediocre lifetime statistics.

Vinny has much, MUCH better numbers than most hall of fame QB's, yet I do not consider him a GREAT quarterback.
    I 100% agree.

All Pro
    If Vinny is a compiler of numbers... What does that make Curtis? He has been fed the ball even when injured, even when we have a young stud behind him.

Longevity in this violent sport is an accomplishment in and of itself. If he wins the superbowl, he should go in, based on numbers.

Like baseball, stats in football are evolving. 500 home runs should get you into the hall of fame. Fred McGriff has 494... if he get 6 more should he get in?

It'll suck to be the first with 500 HR's or 40k yards not to make it... but that's where it seems we're headed.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: that superbowl win for the Jets was so friggin huge for namath