Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY WAS KENDALL CUT?

JUST CURIOUS..IF THIS GUY IS SO GOOD WHY DID ZONA LET HIM GO?

All League
    Charter JI Member

I'm only guessing, but it might be because Dennis Green is an idiot.

All Pro
    Either:

1 - They just signed Larry Fitzgerald and Kendall was a cap casualty. OR

2 - Dennis Green didn't like that he, as a union rep, went to the league about the additional practices Dennis was running over the offseason.

3 - They wanted to let younger kids play.

I rank them like that in order of probability

[ON EDIT] I also like Bob The Jet Fans reason.

All League
    hey brooklyn jet can i join the pete kendall fan club?

All Pro
    Originally posted by thechadzone10@Aug 6 2004, 08:17 PM
    Sure. Easy entrance exam:

1 - What number does he wear?

2 - Where did he go to college?

3 - What's the greatest NFL team EVER?

Banned
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Aug 6 2004, 08:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brooklyn Jet @ Aug 6 2004, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--thechadzone10@Aug 6 2004, 08:17 PM

1 - What number does he wear?

2 - Where did he go to college?

3 - What&#39;s the greatest NFL team EVER?

[/b][/quote]

hey&#33;&#33; lol

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by santino@Aug 6 2004, 07:50 PM
    JUST CURIOUS..IF THIS GUY IS SO GOOD WHY DID ZONA LET HIM GO?
    oh you&#39;re clever.
    He killed a guy

All League

1 - What number does he wear? 66

2 - Where did he go to college? boston college

3 - What&#39;s the greatest NFL team EVER? the new york jets

am i in ?

All Pro
    Originally posted by thechadzone10@Aug 6 2004, 08:25 PM
    am i in ?
    Yes&#33; Welcome aboard&#33;

Banned
    where did you get that avatar pic brooklynjet?

All Pro
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Aug 6 2004, 08:28 PM
    where did you get that avatar pic brooklynjet?
    It was on newyorkjets.com - if you click on the "full story" link about his signing, it was in the article about him.

All League
    i heard dennis green thought he was the one who spilled the beans to the nfl on the early training camp the cardinals had.

All League
    alright &#33;

All League
    Found this article about Kendall/Green...

Cards cut center Kendall
    By Darren Urban, Tribune

FLAGSTAFF - Maybe Denny Green just wanted to take some of the attention away from the Arizona Cardinals’ three unsigned draft picks.

But his seemingly sudden and stunning decision to cut starting center Pete Kendall on Sunday — apparently after Kendall took his physical in preparation to begin training camp — made sure the news of the day was about the Cardinals being proactive rather than doing nothing.

“What it comes down to,” Green said, “is that you just have to really believe everything we do, there is one thing in mind: It’s to help us to win.”

How that will work remains to be seen. Alex Stepanovich, the team’s fourth-round pick, was immediately named the starter. He is joined by Leonard Davis, playing left tackle for the first time since college; Reggie Wells, playing left guard after doing little as a rookie last season out of tiny Clarion (Pa.) College; Cameron Spikes at right guard; and Anthony Clement at right tackle, who did not play well most of 2003.

Meanwhile, the team’s two best linemen from last season, Kendall (released) and L.J. Shelton (benched), are out, although the Cards save Kendall’s &#036;2.75 million salary. They will take &#036;1 million cap hits each of the next two years.

Kendall, reached by phone, wanted to say little, although he admitted, “I’m shocked.”

And why not? Green just named Kendall the starter following the last practice of the offseason, and the team hadn’t done anything since then. Kendall, despite missing nine games in three seasons with injuries, was also one of the few players Green named as a starter back in February after watching film from 2003 for the first time.

Green refused to get into specifics about Kendall.

“It just became clear we had to make some more changes on the offensive line, that the chemistry was not very good at all,” Green said. “And it was naive to think it was going to change just because I was here.”

One major incident that happened between the end of offseason practices and camp was the punishment of the Cardinals handed down by the NFL and the players’ association. Following complaints by players, the team was found to have broke collective bargaining rules by hitting too much and was docked a week’s worth of offseason conditioning. Kendall, always outspoken, was thought to be one of the players who complained. But a source close to the situation said Kendall intentionally tried to stay out of the offseason workout fray, specifically because he was afraid it might hurt his reputation with the coaches.

Green deflected a question whether Kendall’s release had to do with that, reiterating his need to make the entire team better.

Kendall’s agent, Neil Schwartz, was looking for answers. Schwartz was recently in Phoenix for other business and said he was able to talk with Cardinals vice president Michael Bidwill. Schwartz said he talked with Bidwill about Kendall retiring as a Cardinal and the two even briefly discussed an eventual contract extension.

Now, Schwartz said he is concerned what other teams might think about Kendall because of the way it happened.

“I want to know what the real truth is,” Schwartz said. “Pete Kendall not playing well, I find that hard to believe that’s the reason he was released.” The move, and others like it, has sent a chill through many players when it comes to speaking with the media. Shelton declined to talk, and Spikes chose his words carefully.

“In this sport, you never question when decisions are made,” Spikes said. “You look forward and do your job. That’s the mentality the team should have.”

Green, meanwhile, pointed to five of the worst games the Cards played last season — blowout losses to bad teams in Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Pittsburgh and San Francisco — as all the reason he needs to make changes.

“The team has not been playing the way they should play,” Green said. “Along those lines, no one should be surprised about anything.”

Banned
    Who Cares ... the Jets couldn&#39;t possibly have been more fortunate

1. Huge Upgrade at OG ... HUGE

2. Smith now serves the role he was signed to serve ... veteran backup OG/OT

3. We had nothing ... NOTHING behind Mawae at OC ... now Kendall represents awesome insurance at OC should Mawae {heaven forbid} go down for any length of time ... then we can slide Smith back in at OG

Kendall was really the perfect fit for this team ... UTTERLY PERFECT ... in every possible way

Kills two birds with one stone ... HUGE UPGRADE at OG and awesome depth at OC

Originally posted by thechadzone10@Aug 6 2004, 08:25 PM

1 - What number does he wear? 66

2 - Where did he go to college? boston college

3 - What&#39;s the greatest NFL team EVER? the new york jets

am i in ?
    Probably not

You only got 2 out of three right........ <_<

Veteran
    I live in AZ - Here is the real scoop.
    Kendall is the guy that complained to the union about the really tough &#39;volintary&#39; workouts Green was running.
    Green found out it was Kendall and released him minutes before loading the bus to go to camp.
    He is the sheriff and was sending a message that no one questions him without consequences.
    Thanks GOD&#33; He is just what the Jets needed.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: It was a Cap issue....when asked why he was let go...Kendall said "you may want to ask Denny Green"

Things like this happens...i mean they just gave a rookie WR a ton o money...this type of thing happens.......it&#39;s just that it went into our favor.

It had NOTHING to do with his playing ability.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: you are right Greenie....and it&#39;s not often that you sign a veteran solid O-lineman thats gonna come right in and start.....that does not happen much.

Bitter
    Now not to start a firefight but if he indeed did blow the whistle on the Cardinals, how is it that you guys are welcoming him so much when it wasn&#39;t too long ago that you were calling a bunch of Giants players babies because they reported their coaches for the same reasons?