Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Ricks should start over Becht

Banned
    after seeing him at TC in albany, this dude was impressive as hell, far better than what Becht did/didn't do last season

and whoever # 2 is (wide reciever), he impressed me as well. I think his name was Stubbs or something, a rookie

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by blackout806@Aug 7 2004, 05:41 PM
    after seeing him at TC in albany, this dude was impressive as hell, far better than what Becht did/didn't do last season

and whoever # 2 is (wide reciever), he impressed me as well. I think his name was Stubbs or something, a rookie
    I think in the base offense the tE will be used more for blocking than receiving, and if taht is the case then Becht is a no brainer, he's the best blocking TE hands down

All Pro
    This is going to be a tough battle - Ricks is probably the most talented receiver on the roster (of the Tight Ends of course), but as MBG mentioned, they're going to want a TE who can really block. That gives Becht the edge right now I guess.

Im still rooting for Mikhael though

I was at camp last week and Ricks looks huge. Iknow Becht is regarded as a big blocking TE but Ricks looked pretty damn big to me. That doesn't mean he can block but I can see why he is good at catching over the top and down the middle.

All Pro
    C. Baker seems to be having a good camp thus far, so don't forget about him. They could always use a two TE offense and work off that formation with various set plays, to confuse the opposing D.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

As a Rutgers fan, I got to see Stubbs few times over the past couple yrs. He's looked good in camp, as Herm has commented. Very dependable over the middle, but lacks size. Has strength to break tackles. Could be a decent WR at this level IF he gets the chance. That said, don't expect to see him around in a month.

I think Baker will get lots of reps in Becht's place this year. Not sure of what they're expecting from Ricks, as he dosen't play with the 1st unit. Baker played well yesterday, catching a short low quick turn-around from Penny at the goal line underneath coverage, and then a 20yd flag route deep in the end zone. I just don't get the sense that they're looking for Ricks to make a significant contribution. YET. Baker is the guy we'll all be talking about in a couple months, IMO. Ricks did make a very nice one-handed grab in the back of the end zone. Even drew an interference flag.

Hall Of Fame
    7 responses already and not one from virgo???

All League
    beyong just who starts, this is a really interesting position in terms of who we keep on the roster.

although he's never been spectacular and may (and i emphasize may) not start, Becht will be on the team.

Dearth, our #3 tight end for several years, is also one of the top long snappers, and therefore will almost certainly be kept.

this leaves Baker and Ricks fighting for the third spot -- and they both have a lot of upside potential. Baker is young and could be our future at the position -- we just don't know enough about him yet. and Ricks has the ability to come in immediately and stretch the field as a receiving threat.

i'm not sure what the requirements are for practice squad (i think you have to have less than 3 years in the league or something), and i doubt any of them would be considered for the practice squad anyway.

so, do we keep 4 tight ends?

Hall Of Fame
    JUMBALAYA hit the nail on the head re RICKS and how come when he DROPS passes at an alarming rate in camp, you BECHT BASHERS fail to reoort it? BECHT has had a better camp to date then RICKS! BAKER is too and he is an accomplished blocker!

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by gaffneycatch@Aug 8 2004, 08:51 AM
    beyong just who starts, this is a really interesting position in terms of who we keep on the roster.

although he's never been spectacular and may (and i emphasize may) not start, Becht will be on the team.

Dearth, our #3 tight end for several years, is also one of the top long snappers, and therefore will almost certainly be kept.

this leaves Baker and Ricks fighting for the third spot -- and they both have a lot of upside potential. Baker is young and could be our future at the position -- we just don't know enough about him yet. and Ricks has the ability to come in immediately and stretch the field as a receiving threat.

i'm not sure what the requirements are for practice squad (i think you have to have less than 3 years in the league or something), and i doubt any of them would be considered for the practice squad anyway.

like I had said in an earlier post, I cant fathom keeping 4 TEs and in this league your backups need to play ST's and Ricks can't and Baker does quite well...to me Richts has to have an amzing camp in order to justify cutting a very good STer in favor of a guy taht plays better O but poor STs

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 8 2004, 08:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green &#064; Aug 8 2004, 08:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gaffneycatch@Aug 8 2004, 08:51 AM

although he&#39;s never been spectacular and may (and i emphasize may) not start, Becht will be on the team.

this leaves Baker and Ricks fighting for the third spot -- and they both have a lot of upside potential. Baker is young and could be our future at the position -- we just don&#39;t know enough about him yet. and Ricks has the ability to come in immediately and stretch the field as a receiving threat.

i&#39;m not sure what the requirements are for practice squad (i think you have to have less than 3 years in the league or something), and i doubt any of them would be considered for the practice squad anyway.

like I had said in an earlier post, I cant fathom keeping 4 TEs and in this league your backups need to play ST&#39;s and Ricks can&#39;t and Baker does quite well...to me Richts has to have an amzing camp in order to justify cutting a very good STer in favor of a guy taht plays better O but poor STs [/b][/quote]
    i agree...

and this is why the ricks signing kind of baffled me from the start.

i understand a lot of people are excited about his playmaking ability.

but we&#39;ve already got two solid, if unspectacular tight ends, and a third who has a roster spot guaranteed because he&#39;s the long snapper.

perhaps we just signed ricks to push baker in camp? or in case someone got hurt during camp...

i&#39;m not sure how much we&#39;re paying for him, but it just seems wierd.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by gaffneycatch+Aug 8 2004, 08:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gaffneycatch @ Aug 8 2004, 08:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Aug 8 2004, 08:54 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-gaffneycatch
    @Aug 8 2004, 08:51 AM

although he&#39;s never been spectacular and may (and i emphasize may) not start, Becht will be on the team.

this leaves Baker and Ricks fighting for the third spot -- and they both have a lot of upside potential. Baker is young and could be our future at the position -- we just don&#39;t know enough about him yet. and Ricks has the ability to come in immediately and stretch the field as a receiving threat.

i&#39;m not sure what the requirements are for practice squad (i think you have to have less than 3 years in the league or something), and i doubt any of them would be considered for the practice squad anyway.

like I had said in an earlier post, I cant fathom keeping 4 TEs and in this league your backups need to play ST&#39;s and Ricks can&#39;t and Baker does quite well...to me Richts has to have an amzing camp in order to justify cutting a very good STer in favor of a guy taht plays better O but poor STs
    i agree...

and this is why the ricks signing kind of baffled me from the start.

i understand a lot of people are excited about his playmaking ability.

but we&#39;ve already got two solid, if unspectacular tight ends, and a third who has a roster spot guaranteed because he&#39;s the long snapper.

perhaps we just signed ricks to push baker in camp? or in case someone got hurt during camp...

i&#39;m not sure how much we&#39;re paying for him, but it just seems wierd. [/b][/quote]
    I think he got about 700k with no signing bonus, so its really a no risk signing which is kinda weird because supposedly a few teams were interested in him yet he came here for no signing money and into a situation where he may not be able to get himself a spot on our team, really an interesting signing and something that warrants watching

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Aug 8 2004, 09:07 AM

I think he got about 700k with no signing bonus, so its really a no risk signing
    i guess that could explain it -- why we signed him, i mean.

you&#39;re right though -- it&#39;s still kind of a mystery as to why HE signed with US...

Banned
    Chris Baker seems like the most complete TE on our roster if you ask me. Becht can block well but he drops passes and gets no YAC, Ricks cannot block, but he is a good threat. but Baker can block, has great hands, and he gets YAC

All League
    ok, after thinking about this some more, here&#39;s what i think is going on.

it&#39;s all about next year, and whether baker can step in as our starter.

with all the new young studs we&#39;ve signed and drafted this off-season, baker&#39;s special teams play becomes a little less important. that&#39;s not to say it&#39;s inconsquetial -- but we&#39;ve got lots of guys who could be good special teamers at this point.

also, i&#39;ve heard it said in the past that baker might need kind of a kick in the ass in terms of stepping up and really working to be a number 1 tight end. the kid is a bit lackadaisical at times, i think.

so, basically, the time has come for him to show what he can do. if he&#39;s gonna be a major part of the tight end equation in the post-becht Jets, he needs to step up. if not -- well, maybe it&#39;s time to let him go.

so we sign a guy to really challenge and push him in camp. best case scenario, baker steps up big and plays a lot of tight end as well as specials this year, and shows he&#39;s ready to do the same and more in the future. and if baker doesn&#39;t step up, there&#39;s another guy (ricks) who could take his roster spot this year (this is where the fact that we&#39;ve got a bunch of guys fighting to play special teams comes into play -- baker won&#39;t be guaranteed a spot just from specials). or, even if we decide to cut ricks and hold on to baker this year, at least we know that next year we need to go out and find us a real stud tight end.

that&#39;s my take on it.

this will be interesting to watch.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Aug 8 2004, 09:24 AM
    Chris Baker seems like the most complete TE on our roster if you ask me. Becht can block well but he drops passes and gets no YAC, Ricks cannot block, but he is a good threat. but Baker can block, has great hands, and he gets YAC
    people say baker has great hands but he dropped a few passes laST SEASON AND it is not as given as we may have thought his hands were

Banned
    Originally posted by Kentucky Jet@Aug 8 2004, 08:53 AM
    JUMBALAYA hit the nail on the head re RICKS and how come when he DROPS passes at an alarming rate in camp, you BECHT BASHERS fail to reoort it? BECHT has had a better camp to date then RICKS&#33; BAKER is too and he is an accomplished blocker&#33;
    I saw Ricks in Albany, he had a great camp

Veteran
    I saw Ricks in Albany.

He was OK.

I saw Becht in Albany.

He was Becht.

I saw Baker in Albany.

He was mistake-free, caught his passes, and Blocked like a demon.

"What is Chris Baker, Alex?"

"Right, for 400 dollars. That moves your total up to &#036;4,800 and you will be our leader moving into the second round of final Jeopardy. We will be right back after these messages."

All League
    i think we will use all 3 tight ends effectively this season

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by blackout806@Aug 8 2004, 07:51 PM
    I saw Ricks in Albany, he had a great camp
    I liked what I saw also, but he continues to play with the second team. I&#39;m sure that jersey # will be changed soon, BUT someone needs to be cut. No?