Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Evans from the Daily News

Veteran
    Between Evans and Robertson theres no lack of confidence, now lets see what it amounts to when the games start.

Jets' D-line ready
    to D-stroy

Evans says group will sack doubters

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Things are looking up for John Abraham and high-priced D-line.

If draft pedigree and paycheck size translated into on-field performance, the second coming of the New York Sack Exchange would be playing for the Jets. Their defensive line includes four former first-round picks, all homegrown - more than any team in the NFL. Trouble is, they haven't played like it, collectively.
    That's about to change, according to Josh Evans, the senior member of the defensive line.

"We're going to destroy people," Evans said yesterday at Hofstra. "I really do believe we're going to destroy people."

Players aren't supposed to make bold predictions, not in the buttoned-down world of the NFL, but Evans felt it needed to be said. Maybe it was meant as a warning to opposing quarterbacks.

"We're definitely going to be in the top five (in sacks)," he said. "I want it in the paper, so my teammates can see it and know we have to go get it."

Okay, done; it's in the paper. Now can they get it?

If bookends John Abraham and Shaun Ellis both produce double-digit sack totals (they've both done it, but never in the same season), if tackle Dewayne Robertson can rebound after a disappointing rookie year and if Bryan Thomas can contribute off the bench, then, yes, the Jets could rank among the sack leaders.

"There is a lot of ability - ability is great - but it's even better when you put it to use," said coach Herman Edwards, calling his line the strength of the defense. "Hopefully, they understand the importance of that. If they go, the defense goes."

The Jets had 35 sacks last season, tied for 17th in the league, but that statistic is misleading. In sack percentage (one sack every 14 pass plays), they ranked sixth. They didn't get as many pass-rushing opportunities as other teams because, quite simply, their run defense stunk. The lowpoint came against the Raiders, who ran on 21 straight plays - a 21-run salute.

Why throw against the Jets when a simple handoff will suffice?

That won't be the case anymore, they insisted. Evans guaranteed the run defense will improve on its 28th ranking, although that hardly qualified as a Namath-like proclamation. It can't get worse, can it? Asked to name the No. 1 reason why he expects improvement, Edwards took a subtle dig at former coordinator Ted Cottrell.

"I think it's being well-coordinated and guys understanding their responsibilities," said Edwards, who fired Cottrell after the season.

In fairness to Cottrell, he was saddled with a glacially slow defense. That shouldn't be the case anymore. With a revamped linebacking corps, the Jets should have enough speed to cut off the east-west running games. Several players said the change in play-calling philosophy also will make a difference.

"We've got better calls," said nose tackle Jason Ferguson, quickly adding, "I mean, not better calls, but more aggressive calls."

The Jets' top six linemen, including the four former No.1picks, are counting a combined $13 million on the salary cap - roughly one-sixth of the cap. So far, the club hasn't received enough bang for its buck. Maybe that will change. This might be their last chance, considering Abraham and Ellis are free agents in 2005.

"Everybody feels like we haven't lived up to our potential yet," said Evans, adding, "We're definitely going to be in the top five. I'm telling you, we're going to do big stuff this year."

Originally published on August 11, 2004

All League
    I would rather Evans save his bluster for the field.........

I remember the playoffs of 2002, when he jackjawed with Frank Middelton all week before the Raiders game, then he got his butt kicked in the game.

Evans has a lot of ability, if he brings it to the field in big games, then he can run his mouth.

He really let the team down last year after Herm went to bat for him.

Just play the game

Veteran
    I like the enthusiasm but both him and D Rob should just shut up... play the game and prove it on the field. Talk is cheap, there needs to be results and you have to be able to play a full year.

All League
    Talk is cheap and plentiful. Please, get it done in September. This kind of talk is really out of place.

Banned
    when they are being interviewed what do you want them to say?

Hall Of Fame
    this is exactly what the doctor ordered. gather confidence and become cocky. its intense and contagious

there is a jet stream of bull**** coming out of Hofstra!

All League
    This is just another example of sports writers getting a player to say something that really is no big deal- Evans is emotional personality so it comes off as being perceived as cocky and arrogant.

Rookie
    I'm with you Dick. The lack of fire in the d-line last year was discusting. The worst thing Evans can do with this statement is have it totaly blow up in his face. Nothing new for his career. Hopefully his attitude will rub off on those #1 picks. IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO ALL STEP UP AND PUT UP GREAT NUMBERS COLLECTIVELY! I could care less if we have the league's sack leader, but leading the league (or close to it) in sacks as a team would be exactly what the doctor ordered. Of course, this would mean we would have to stop the run as well. That comes first!

Banned
    Guys, the man is challenging his linemates as well as himself ... publicly

Saying this is what's acceptable for our D-Line ... nothing else will suffice

And as I said after D-Rob made his own public declaration ... every fericious defense must have a touch of arrogance

I'm totally down with Josh Evans here ... 100% ... I applaud the man for laying it on the line

Sure beats ... "Well, we may need some time to Gel" {i.e. Our Old Slogan}

Banned
    come on guys! this is a great thing when we have an outspoken player on our defense. evans is a leader and I think it is good to talk about being great. it makes the players around you work harder and it should only make our dline better.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Is it a crime for Evans to say that???? He said what he feels and you say just play the game and save it for the field?? Well Evans has always brought it and I love the fire coming from this camp.

I stricty remeber last year people complaining that the jets were not a vocal toght team.....in camp D-Rob is speaking up (a 22 year old 2nd year player) and a proven Veteran like Evans. This is what we need...what we have not seen since the sack Exchange days........it used to annoy people when ole #99 was whooping it up and all.......I loved it!

This is what the Jets need and I love it!!!!

All League
    Originally posted by yourworstmemory@Aug 11 2004, 08:17 AM
    when they are being interviewed what do you want them to say?
    Oh, you know, the old "I'm just happy to be here and I hope I can contribute and help the team..."

<_<

TomShane
    Tell Evans to stop cutting his crack with Drano. It&#39;s getting to him.

Seriously, if the D-Line could get it together this year they&#39;d be able to mask alot of problems in the secondary. Here&#39;s hoping.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r:

Rich Cimini: "Josh how do you think the defensive line will do in 2004?"

Evans: "Well Rich I think we will do ok this year and we&#39;ll try our bestest&#33;"

Get friggin real&#33;&#33;&#33; This is what we need&#33; Evans made mistakes but it&#39;s now and he&#39;s a force for this team on the field and in the locker room......how can anyone second guess a player for saying what he feels?????

Banned
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 11 2004, 11:05 AM
    :ph34r:

Rich Cimini: "Josh how do you think the defensive line will do in 2004?"

Evans: "Well Rich I think we will do ok this year and we&#39;ll try our bestest&#33;"

Get friggin real&#33;&#33;&#33;

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: Tomshane said it correctly....the secondary can be good but they need to play together and the D-Line will be the Key....you will also see the difference a fast LB crew can make to an D-Line.

The D line forces the RB outside for the LB to finish off.

I am so looking forward to friday&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33 ;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Aug 11 2004, 07:37 AM
    Guys, the man is challenging his linemates as well as himself ... publicly

Saying this is what&#39;s acceptable for our D-Line ... nothing else will suffice

And as I said after D-Rob made his own public declaration ... every fericious defense must have a touch of arrogance

I&#39;m totally down with Josh Evans here ... 100% ... I applaud the man for laying it on the line

Sure beats ... "Well, we may need some time to Gel" {i.e. Our Old Slogan}
    Agreed&#33;

All Pro
    Loves it

Banned
    I like the cockiness.

Now they have to back it up or its more than enough fodder for the Pats faithful

One other thing I would like to see is these guys stating goals for the year, it forces a sense of accountability.

Every sport I played and every job I had I had to voice my goals and I think its a productive exercise.