Thread: The digs on Ted Cottrell

All Pro
    the lines where it says he was strapped with slow players-well,then that's STILL his fault for not INSISTING these"glaciers"we're melted down by the Jets'Turk.(um,no not Matt)

Why throw against the Jets when a simple handoff will suffice?

That won't be the case anymore, they insisted. Evans guaranteed the run defense will improve on its 28th ranking, although that hardly qualified as a Namath-like proclamation. It can't get worse, can it? Asked to name the No. 1 reason why he expects improvement, Edwards took a subtle dig at former coordinator Ted Cottrell.

"I think it's being well-coordinated and guys understanding their responsibilities," said Edwards, who fired Cottrell after the season.

In fairness to Cottrell, he was saddled with a glacially slow defense. That shouldn't be the case anymore. With a revamped linebacking corps, the Jets should have enough speed to cut off the east-west running games. Several players said the change in play-calling philosophy also will make a difference.

"We've got better calls," said nose tackle Jason Ferguson, quickly adding, "I mean, not better calls, but more aggressive calls."

Hall Of Fame
    we've also heard repeatedly in this camp that players siad they didnt know their assignments and Ted at times wasn't clear either, sounds a bit chaotic no???

Banned
    he was awful, with that hybrid cover 2 bull**** he made our defense learn. like John Abraham said, when you asked cotrell about something you have to do on defense he says "uh, wait a sec so I can haul my fat ass over to the film room and see how the tampa bay buccaneers do it"

he had no idea how to run our defense and he wasn't even sure about his own defensive scheme.

Henderson knows what he is doing, it is his scheme, and if somebody needs an answer to the question, he can answer it right there on the practice field.

note: Cotrell is a fat dunghole, but he never had complete control of how he wanted the defense to be run

Hall Of Fame
    barton that is more of an indictment on Herm than anything else, why make Ted run a hybrid system and then let Donnie who is unproven run his own. Ted was in top 5 in league every year in buffalo

Banned
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Aug 11 2004, 01:08 PM
    barton that is more of an indictment on Herm than anything else, why make Ted run a hybrid system and then let Donnie who is unproven run his own. Ted was in top 5 in league every year in buffalo

I agree, which is why I hinted at it towards the end of my 1st post.

but cotrell should have been able to answer the players questions right there and then. and if he had any balls he would have just stuck by his roots and ran the 3-4 like he did in buffalo.

BUT, herm was at fault for trying to copy the bucs defense

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54+Aug 11 2004, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ErIcBaRtOn54 @ Aug 11 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green@Aug 11 2004, 01:08 PM

but cotrell should have been able to answer the players questions right there and then. and if he had any balls he would have just stuck by his roots and ran the 3-4 like he did in buffalo.

BUT, herm was at fault for trying to copy the bucs defense [/b][/quote]
    nothing about balls its called obeying the boss

Banned
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 11 2004, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Aug 11 2004, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Aug 11 2004, 01:14 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mean Bro Green
    @Aug 11 2004, 01:08 PM

BUT, herm was at fault for trying to copy the bucs defense
    nothing about balls its called obeying the boss [/b][/quote]

yeah I know, I am just venting Angry feelings I have had towards last years defense :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    I think Ted was unfairly fired. This guy and coaching defense is like having a fish in water, it just makes sense. I think why things didn&#39;t work out with Ted was difference in philosophy on defense. Ted coaches his people to react, Herm wants his players to attack. At first when they got together to talk about Ted coming on board, they said they sat and talked about defense and came up with many similarities to the point they said, "This is a good fit". The bottom line is, no matter who would have gotten there way in how the defense played, neither style would have worked. Why, because our defense had old players way past their prime. They couldn&#39;t tackle and they sure were slow. I think Woody Johnson and the fans demanded someone be deemed a &#39;scapegoat&#39;. Cottrell was just that person. You don&#39;t go from being the best candidate to become head coach to being fired for imcompetence as the defensive coordinator unless there is more to it. I think Jones and Lewis should have been waived after the 2002 season. I think Bradway should be blamed for the defense faultering last year. He is the one who squandered numerous picks not taking linebackers. Instead, he takes Derek Pagel, he probably won&#39;t even make the team this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Who cares about Ted "Not a Jet" Cotrell?? Do we suddely give a rats arse what the VIKINGS D-Co is doing or how he feels.

He was here a couple seasons, ran a crappy D for most of it (yes, with some legit excuses) and now he&#39;s gone.

Lets move on, eh?

Hall Of Fame
    overall, not fair. maybe 1 or 2 other defensive minds could have made our defense of last year competitive. We probably had the worst linebackers in the league when hobson was on the sidelines. And our secondary may have also been the worst when abraham and mcgraw weren&#39;t in.

we also don&#39;t know how much cottrell was limited by what herm wanted to do with the cover 2. for all we know, cottrell wanted to be more aggressive.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Warfish@Aug 11 2004, 01:36 PM
    Who cares about Ted "Not a Jet" Cotrell?? Do we suddely give a rats arse what the VIKINGS D-Co is doing or how he feels.

He was here a couple seasons, ran a crappy D for most of it (yes, with some legit excuses) and now he&#39;s gone.

Lets move on, eh?
    That still doesn&#39;t make it OK. It&#39;s always wrong when someone gets wrongly fired. How would you feel if that had been you?

All Pro
    Originally posted by Mainejet+Aug 11 2004, 01:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mainejet @ Aug 11 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish@Aug 11 2004, 01:36 PM

Lets move on, eh?
    That still doesn&#39;t make it OK. It&#39;s always wrong when someone gets wrongly fired. How would you feel if that had been you? [/b][/quote]
    How do you know that the fat bastard didn&#39;t think that the cover-2 would be good for him and the team? The problem was he was a poor comunicator to the player and always had to simplify things because he couldn&#39;t get through to the players. Good ridance. He deserved to be fired. If you want to go by what was being reported, which is never the whole story, Herm talked about getting the younger players on the field but Cotrell never got them in. Herm says he leads but took too much input from the coordinators which is why he is now more involved with the offense, doesn&#39;t that lead you to believe that Teddy was calling the wrong shots? The NFL is dog eat dog and he got eaten, fact of life, it may suck but he got another job anyway. Good for him and hopefully good for us.

I was never a big fan of Cottrell, but part of the bad rap he got is Edwards fault. Ted was never a cover 2 guy and Edwards forced him to work a defense that he had barely any basic knowledge about. And its not like Edwards works anyone hard so some of the conditioning issues were his fault along with Cottrells. And of course the defense was old as evidenced by how many Jet cuts barely picked up anywhere else or in the case of Lewis and Jones find themselves sitting at home.

But I dont want to hear any nonsense about him being a great coordinator. In his three years in Buffalo they ranked 15th, 2nd ,and 18th in points given up. Thats one great year and 2 mediocre ones right up there with the Jets seasons he had.

All Pro
    when I think back to Ted C I am reminded that it seems the team played the way he LOOKED.He was a&#39;go along to get along guy"and that don&#39;t wash in this town.maybe in Buffalo or Miiny but NOT NYC.We demand better

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by SoFlaJets@Aug 11 2004, 06:03 PM
    when I think back to Ted C I am reminded that it seems the team played the way he LOOKED.He was a&#39;go along to get along guy"and that don&#39;t wash in this town.maybe in Buffalo or Miiny but NOT NYC.We demand better
    if only demands translated to wins.....if only, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

All League
    Do some people actually think Cotrell or any DC in the NFL is so limited that they cannot teach or use a common scheme, whether it&#39;s a 3-4, 4-3, cover-2, 3, 4, zone?

Wow. I guess this Donnie Henderson, a guy with what, 3 yrs experience total in the NFL, (the high point prior to this job being the DB coach), and a long time in the college coaching ranks, in a different light. He must be so much better than Cotrell that he can convey all of this to a young defense, in one offseason, while TC struggled over 3 years, getting more stupid each season.

Poor Vikings. What were they thinking?

All League
    Do some people actually think Cotrell or any DC in the NFL is so limited that they cannot teach or use a common scheme, whether it&#39;s a 3-4, 4-3, cover-2, 3, 4, zone?

Wow. I guess this Donnie Henderson, a guy with what, 3 yrs experience total in the NFL, (the high point prior to this job being the DB coach), and a long time in the college coaching ranks, in a different light. He must be so much better than Cotrell that he can convey all of this to a young defense, in one offseason, while TC struggled over 3 years, getting more stupid each season.

Poor Vikings. What were they thinking?

Banned
    tailgator

cotrell didn&#39;t even fully understand what defense he was running (not necessarily his fault)

henderson knows what he is doing with this defense

big difference