Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Stadium Info from Jets

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

from today's Newsday:
    Don't be alarmed if you read a comment by Jets president Jay Cross in the current issue of BusinessWeek. If the Jets do not get a stadium built in the New York area, Cross is quoted as saying, "We would have to explore all our options." Owner Woody Johnson is described in the article as having "no plans to move the team out of New York." But Cross' comment is left hanging in the story and could be interpreted as a leverage ploy. "It would be a mistake to read anything into Jay's comments," said Matt Higgins, the Jets' vice president for strategic planning. "We have no intentions other than building a stadium on the West Side. There is no Plan B."

All League
    And as it has been pointed out many times, there is no Plan B/C/D that would bring in half of the revenue of the West Side Stadium. Since the cost would be the same, it becomes a loss not a profit.

If the stadium does not go through, we can play in the Giants stadium for the rest of my life.

BZ

All League
    Originally posted by isired@Aug 12 2004, 11:12 AM
    from today's Newsday:
    Don't be alarmed if you read a comment by Jets president Jay Cross in the current issue of BusinessWeek. If the Jets do not get a stadium built in the New York area, Cross is quoted as saying, "We would have to explore all our options." Owner Woody Johnson is described in the article as having "no plans to move the team out of New York." But Cross' comment is left hanging in the story and could be interpreted as a leverage ploy. "It would be a mistake to read anything into Jay's comments," said Matt Higgins, the Jets' vice president for strategic planning. "We have no intentions other than building a stadium on the West Side. There is no Plan B."
    I agree that this is a leverage ploy. Much like what the GIANTS are going to do to the NJSEA if certain concerns are not agreed upon with their "NEW" stadium as well.

Cross was brought in only because he could be the only one in the Sports world to get the a team a stadium in a major Metro city. After all, He was the mastermind of both SKYDOME in Toronto & the American Airlines Arena in Miami. Should he fail in his endevors, he will be sent packing by both Woody Johnson & the NFL.

As for us leaving NYC/NJ/CT, I truly believe that the team WILL NOT leave the Metro area should a Manhattan Stadium not be built. However, this still does not mean that the Jets will remain @ Giants Stadium either. It just will take a long time longer for the JETS management to get their own building.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by BaumerJet+Aug 12 2004, 12:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BaumerJet @ Aug 12 2004, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-isired@Aug 12 2004, 11:12 AM
    from today&#39;s Newsday:
    Don&#39;t be alarmed if you read a comment by Jets president Jay Cross in the current issue of BusinessWeek. If the Jets do not get a stadium built in the New York area, Cross is quoted as saying, "We would have to explore all our options." Owner Woody Johnson is described in the article as having "no plans to move the team out of New York." But Cross&#39; comment is left hanging in the story and could be interpreted as a leverage ploy. "It would be a mistake to read anything into Jay&#39;s comments," said Matt Higgins, the Jets&#39; vice president for strategic planning. "We have no intentions other than building a stadium on the West Side. There is no Plan B."
    I agree that this is a leverage ploy. Much like what the GIANTS are going to do to the NJSEA if certain concerns are not agreed upon with their "NEW" stadium as well.

Cross was brought in only because he could be the only one in the Sports world to get the a team a stadium in a major Metro city. After all, He was the mastermind of both SKYDOME in Toronto & the American Airlines Arena in Miami. Should he fail in his endevors, he will be sent packing by both Woody Johnson & the NFL.

As for us leaving NYC/NJ/CT, I truly believe that the team WILL NOT leave the Metro area should a Manhattan Stadium not be built. However, this still does not mean that the Jets will remain @ Giants Stadium either. It just will take a long time longer for the JETS management to get their own building.
    [/b][/quote]
    The problem with not having a Plan B is if the Manhattan project doesnt happen, the NJSEA is not going to give the Jets a short term deal. Where would the Jets play in 2009?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by jetman67@Aug 12 2004, 11:56 AM
    Where would the Jets play in 2009?

Los Angeles.

Seriously, it simply boggles my mind that the Jets don&#39;t have a Plan B (or even C, D and E for that matter) for a new stadium.

Is it all about the Jets having their own stadium or is it about having a stadium only on the Westside? If you ask me, it&#39;s a no brainer.

I also understand that Cross&#39;s comments can be used as leverage (everbody does that) for the Westside project.

Being that narrow-sighted and throwing all your egss into one basket usually leads to disaster.

All League
    I will never buy a band-aid again if Woody even thought for a second to move my team. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> The Jets will stay where they are... whether its NY or NJ I dont care... just dont leave where they belong&#33;

All League
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 12 2004, 12:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX &#064; Aug 12 2004, 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-jetman67@Aug 12 2004, 11:56 AM

Los Angeles.

Seriously, it simply boggles my mind that the Jets don&#39;t have a Plan B (or even C, D and E for that matter) for a new stadium.

Is it all about the Jets having their own stadium or is it about having a stadium only on the Westside? If you ask me, it&#39;s a no brainer.

I also understand that Cross&#39;s comments can be used as leverage (everbody does that) for the Westside project.

Being that narrow-sighted and throwing all your egss into one basket usually leads to disaster.[/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s the NFL having a stadium on the Westside. Why on earth would they offer the JETS an estimated &#036;250 Million in an "INTEREST FREE" loan when most teams only get &#036;100 Million on average.

It&#39;s another No-Brainer:

&#036;250 Million from an NFL loan
    &#036;500 Million from naming rights*
    _____
    &#036;750 Million Pre-Investment

It will only cost the team
    &#036;50 Million to build.

* Naming rights will come not only from the name of the stadium but each entrance, consession & level in the new stadium. (I had to post this here because I didn&#39;t have enough room above.)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by BaumerJet@Aug 12 2004, 01:00 PM

It&#39;s the NFL having a stadium on the Westside. Why on earth would they offer the JETS an estimated &#036;250 Million in an "INTEREST FREE" loan when most teams only get &#036;100 Million on average.

_____

* Naming rights will come not only from the name of the stadium but each entrance, consession & level in the new stadium. (I had to post this here because I didn&#39;t have enough room above.)
    baumer, I totally agree that is a very sweet deal. It would definitly be in the Jets (and the NFL&#39;s) best interest to make happen on the Westside.

However, with all the political obstacles standing in the way to make this a reality, I&#39;m only saying I think the Jets (and the NFL) should have some back-up plans in place for a new stadium.

Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 12 2004, 01:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Aug 12 2004, 01:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67@Aug 12 2004, 11:56 AM

Los Angeles. [/b][/quote]
    lets not start this again :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> . the jets are NOT going to LA. woody doesn&#39;t want to move the team. his greatest earning potential is right here in NYC.

there is no plan B because there does not need to be one. this stadium will happen. he&#39;s not going to put his money up to build in queens. and for the record, it will cost almost as much money to prep the marsh land in flushing as it will to build the platform on the west side.

All League
    Originally posted by BaumerJet+Aug 12 2004, 02:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BaumerJet @ Aug 12 2004, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Aug 12 2004, 12:03 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67
    @Aug 12 2004, 11:56 AM

Los Angeles.

Being that narrow-sighted and throwing all your egss into one basket usually leads to disaster.

_____

[/b][/quote]
    Well, since the stadium is no projected to cost 950 Million, it is a bit less sweet. The city and state are capped at 300, so the Jets make up the difference.

BZ

Originally posted by BwanaZulia@Aug 12 2004, 02:30 PM
    Well, since the stadium is no projected to cost 950 Million, it is a bit less sweet. The city and state are capped at 300, so the Jets make up the difference.

BZ
    think jay cross already said the the estimates are up to 1.7 or 1.9 billion so the jets part of the bill has increased.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by BwanaZulia@Aug 12 2004, 12:18 PM
    And as it has been pointed out many times, there is no Plan B/C/D that would bring in half of the revenue of the West Side Stadium.
    until higgins said "there is no plan b" the last word was cross&#39; threatening "We would have to explore all our options."

All Pro
    what kiss me is that I know Jay Cross is running the project but he has no right to try any leverage - that should be the owner who make those comments

my prediction would be that the westside doesn;t happen and NJSEA works out a deal with teh Jets and Giants for the new stadium in NJ..

All Pro
    The Jets are moving to Detroit, plenty of vacant land. :lol:

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by djaparz@Aug 12 2004, 03:57 PM
    what kiss me is that I know Jay Cross is running the project but he has no right to try any leverage - that should be the owner who make those comments

my prediction would be that the westside doesn;t happen and NJSEA works out a deal with teh Jets and Giants for the new stadium in NJ..
    Woody does make the comments, Jay conveys them to the press.

And as for a "Plan B" don&#39;t you think the F.O. spent thousands researching the Queens thing and found the location had "soupy soil" which means the Jets would have to spend millions just to have the soupy soil excavated, a layer of bedrock put down (so that the stadium won&#39;t sink on opening day with all the weight) and replace with firm, uncontaminated soil.

That&#39;s before we even get to building a foundation for the actual stadium. Next.

Originally posted by Limolady@Aug 12 2004, 04:11 PM
    And as for a "Plan B" don&#39;t you think the F.O. spent thousands researching the Queens thing and found the location had "soupy soil" which means the Jets would have to spend millions just to have the soupy soil excavated, a layer of bedrock put down (so that the stadium won&#39;t sink on opening day with all the weight) and replace with firm, uncontaminated soil.

That&#39;s before we even get to building a foundation for the actual stadium. Next.
    thats what i said...will cost just as much to make that land fit for a stadium as it would to build the platform on the west side. and it won&#39;t make anywhere near the revenues it can in NYC.

the westside makes sense.

All Pro
    Maybe its just my general mistrust of what these folks will say in public, but the Jets saying "we have no plan B" - I dont necessarily buy that - they MUST have some kind of plan B, as unattractive and unlikely as it may be. Im not saying Plan B is Queens, but I have to believe there&#39;s some sort of ".00000001% chance of happenning" plan B - these are businessmen. They won&#39;t be caught with their pants down if something falls through.

They&#39;re not going to come out and say that, however, because it kills any leverage they have. Its business - you don&#39;t offer option 1 "which is expensive" and then quickly add "but if that&#39;s no good, here&#39;s option 2 which is cheaper but more work for us to deliver".

All Im saying is that what Cross says in public isnt necessarily the whole picture. Obviously.

All League
    i do hope it happens...if not...how about connecticut...amazing that there are still pats fans in this state after kraft blew them off......

Banned
    While any slim possibility exists of the JETS getting a new stadium on Manhattan&#39;s West Side, no one in their front office will publicly admit (and understandably so) that they have a "plan B".

However, you should rest assured that the JETS do in fact have a back-up plan, and everyday it seems more and more likely that they&#39;ll be forced to use it.

Plan B is to move back to Shea......