Thread: This is why Tim Brown is a clown

All Pro
    When he caught 1,000 receptions and stopped the Jets game for that pitiful ceremony, I really complained. Non-jet fans claimed I was blaming the game on that I was jealous blah blah blah. But I realize I complained b/c I don't like him> I thought about it for a sec: If Marvin Harrison stopped a Colts game, I wouildn't mind b/c I like him. Then again, Marvin Harrison would never do something so self-promoting. I'm babbling here. The point is Tim Brown is an utter clown and this article proves it.

BROWN'S WORDS JUSTIFY RAIDERS' MOVE

Veteran receiver Tim Brown had a few choice words on Wednesday for the team with which he spent 16 seasons.

And based on the content of Brown's candid comments, we think that the Raiders made the right move in getting Brown out of town.

In part, Brown explained that he was released because Raiders exec Mike Lombardi "pretty much sold [coach] Norv [Turner] on the concept of, it can never be your team as long as Tim Brown is here. And that was the truth. If I was there, it was going to be my team, because the guys were going to listen to me, because I had years in the league and I'd been there for so long. And the decisions I made in the locker room had always worked out for us."

Read that last sentence again, and think about what it means.

When a player begins to think that his tenure with the team makes him anything more than a player, then it's high time for the player to move on. Notions of structure and hierarchy are more important than ever in the post-salary cap NFL, when the annual infusion of new players necessitates a clear understanding that the coach is the coach and the players are the players. Period.

In fact, the idea that Brown was able for some period of time to exert such influence in the locker room tells us that the move was long overdue -- and it makes us wonder whether former coach Bill Callahan merits the brunt of the blame for last year's horrendous performance. Hell, no coach could thrive in an environment where a player is making locker room "decisions" for the team, and no reputable coach would tolerate it for a second.

So we'll officially retract our position that the Raiders should have cut Brown loose earlier so that he could have spent time in another team's offseason program. Brown got what he deserved (including a $240,000 roster bonus paid on June 3, two days after the date on which he could have been dumped in cap-friendly fashion).

We also wonder how Brown's new coach reacted to this admission. Does Chucky know that Tim was making locker room decisions for the team when Jon was the head coach in Oakland? And does Brown plan to reprise this role in Tampa?

In the old days, it was an aging athlete's on-field performance that made us embarrassed for them. Nowadays, it's often the things that come out of their mouths that make them look far worse than their declining physical skills.

All Pro
    Wasn't that Jerry Rice?

Rookie
    I honestly had no problem with Tim Brown before that Monday Night celebration with his mamma on the golf cart. Totally broke the momentum of the game. But hey, I guess because Tim Brown was making the decisions for the team at this point, it was OK. Wow, what a moment!

All League
    I recall Brown having some bad words about gruden when he left. Does anyone esle remember this? He's always whining about something, hopefully he ends his career in an embarrassing way.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Tim Brown is a clown???

I disagree....he's a class act and a first time hall of famer......I could have sworn it was jerry Rice but if he stopped the game that monday night and it took like three hours for the game to start back.......I'm not gonna call him a clown for that!!!

The man is a class act....16 years and no negatives.

I wish him the best in Tampa.

For me to call anyone a clown they would really have had done something wrong....I've been watching Tim Brown since he won the Heisman at Notre Dame......the guys been cool in my book.

Veteran
    I'm guessing that the team set up that celebration.....you guys want some whine with that cheese. Give me a friggin break.

Rookie
    He's no clown, but a major egomaniac. How the hell does a wide-reciever run the team? I don't care how many years he's been at it, those statements are self-serving and classless. Always put the team first, especially if the team payed your salary and the fans looked up to you as a star for nineteen years. Reminds me of Chris carter's self-centered ranting. To hell with him.

All League
    It was Brown, how do you guys not remember that- it was only 2 years ago and it was a big controversy? Anyway, it was the night he caught his 1,000th pass and they stopped the game and brought out all 600 members of his family.

That is part of the reason I don't like Brown but he has always whined about something so I never liked him. I think it's funny he bashed Gruden when he left and loved Callahan, then he bashed Callahan last year and now he's back w/ Gruden. Make up your mind Tim!

All League
    well....I wouldn't call him a clown but I do refer to him as a snake-in-the-grass

When things are going Brown's way, all is well....but when they don't-- watch out...he's a slick backstabber, a smooth-talking one. Yes, he bashed Gruden when he left then backpeddled. He contributed to Callahan's firing, when Callahan went with Porter cutting his reps out. Callahan tried to get rid of some of the vets cause they were running the team and you know how that turned out. So now he's turning on the Raiders after that 'nice' press conference with Davis. He also just said he cleared the air with Gannon who he also dissed.

The funny thing when Brown talks...the truth is so clear reading between the lines. When he bashed Callahan, he said that the coach wanted to get rid of the vets. It was obvious Callahan didn't have control of the team. Now, without realizing it...he's revealing that he ran the team and like the article said-- this is not a good thing although Brown thinks it is.

Will it happen in Tampa? Well, he hasn't played there 16 years so doesn't have the same pull with all the players. BUT it seems Gruden and Allen welcome his 'leadership' and they do have rookie WR's. He cleared the air with Gruden so looks like all is happy. Gruden is happy. He looks at things differently anyway. Happy until something or someone makes Brown unhappy again and the snake reappears.

Veteran
    More than one person remembers that celebration, I was upset as well. He should have done what I believe Jerry Rice did when he caught his 1000th ball, nothing and just kept playing.

All League
    Browns washed up... leave it to the Jets to have to play him when he made his 1 billionth catch and needed to say hello to his wife, baby's mommas, mother, and 6 kids... I remember thinking to myself "Holy #@$ those people need a tug boat to pull their lard tails to midfield" Either way, fat or not, it took the momentum out of the Jets sails for sure and was a completely self-glorifying moment for Brown. I never looked at him as a selfish player but after listening to those comments, how can I ever think otherwise?

Hes old and he sucks now... good riddance.

All League
    Originally posted by nyjet80@Aug 13 2004, 06:31 AM
    More than one person remembers that celebration, I was upset as well. He should have done what I believe Jerry Rice did when he caught his 1000th ball, nothing and just kept playing.
    exactly!!!

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 12 2004, 03:03 PM
    :ph34r: Tim Brown is a clown???

I disagree....he's a class act and a first time hall of famer......I could have sworn it was jerry Rice but if he stopped the game that monday night and it took like three hours for the game to start back.......I'm not gonna call him a clown for that!!!

The man is a class act....16 years and no negatives.

I wish him the best in Tampa.

For me to call anyone a clown they would really have had done something wrong....I've been watching Tim Brown since he won the Heisman at Notre Dame......the guys been cool in my book.
    Oh wow freak :o you couldn`t have said it any better, and its not
    because he`s a close friend of the family..but I respect the dude
    for wha nad what he is...a class act him and his family.

I mean! no harm in vocinng your opinion, the last time I checked
    we were still living in a free speech society...now on the other
    hand..if it was the terrel Owens/joe horns/kyle turleys of the NFL
    their actions would draw tremendous amounts of.... ires...

I like Tim brown and marvin Harrison guys like that who goes to
    work do it good and keep their mouths shut....