Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WE NEVER SHOULD HAVE CUT VINNY

Banned
    Why was it that we cut him? Because he didn't want to be a third-stringer? I really don't think that would have been an issue. What the team sees in Brooks Bollinger is anyone's guess. The guy is just plain awful. He was last year and he still is this year. Now, we are up that fabled creek without a paddle. If Chad goes down, the Niners and Dolphins will have new rivals in the sweepstakes for the 1st overall pick. At least Vinny could have kept us competitive.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by The Troll@Aug 13 2004, 10:06 PM
    At least Vinny could have kept us competitive.
    Like he did last year? Vinny's done. His last two seasons here were awful.

You're right about the rest of it, though. If Chad goes down, we're done.

All League
    thats why bradway should get off his butt and sign a vet . qb

Veteran
    vinny helped us be "competitive" to the tune of an 0-4 start last year. granted brooks looks awful. But vinny couldn't get it done either. As has already been stated, if chad goes down so does the season. Maybe gannon will get cut?

All League
    Man this pains me, but I have to agree with the Troll..................

For the life of me I can't understand why they cut Vinny. It is more expensive for us for him to be in Dallas, then for him to be backing up Chad...........

As far as the argument goes."What did he do last year?" What did the team do last year?

Conway dropped at least 20 balls from Vinny...........The whole team was just awful, and not ready to play. When Chad came back he didn't exactly light it up. please don't blame it on Vinny.

The simple truth is if Chad go's down for three games the season is over, nobody can hold the fort. These two guys suck.

There is nobody out there who can hold the fort.

I wonder what Kenny O is doing these days? He's got to be better then these two guys.

Rookie
    The thought of Chad going down is just plain scary. Vinny may have gone 0-4 but we had a chance with him. I don't see any chance with Brooks.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by FlaGreen@Aug 13 2004, 10:33 PM
    I wonder what Kenny O is doing these days? He's got to be better then these two guys.
    ...and he's not much older than Vinny. Just a year or two, I think.

(I'm not seriously proposing this, though I always liked him)

Veteran
    Quincy Carter is starting to look better and better. We can put drugs in his contract as incentives!

All League
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™+Aug 13 2004, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob the Jets Fan™ @ Aug 13 2004, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Troll@Aug 13 2004, 10:06 PM
    At least Vinny could have kept us competitive.
    Like he did last year? Vinny&#39;s done. His last two seasons here were awful.

You&#39;re right about the rest of it, though. If Chad goes down, we&#39;re done. [/b][/quote]
    well, actually, we WERE competive in most of the games Vinny started.

All League
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan?+Aug 13 2004, 10:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob the Jets Fan? @ Aug 13 2004, 10:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FlaGreen@Aug 13 2004, 10:33 PM
    I wonder what Kenny O is doing these days? He&#39;s got to be better then these two guys.
    ...and he&#39;s not much older than Vinny. Just a year or two, I think.

(I&#39;m not seriously proposing this, though I always liked him) [/b][/quote]
    Bob...........i know you don&#39;t like Vinny, but tell me 0NE, just ONE, QB who is going to be out there , who is better.

Vinny coast us 4.5 million now. He would have cost 4.2 million to be here. I&#39;ll bet you he wins at least 9 games with Dallas.

Was the question, is Vinny done? Or was it, Vinny and Hackett hated one another?

Personally, I would rather have Vinny here then Hacket.

Banned
    Vinny was 2-4 as a starter, with a mediocre defense backing him up. We&#39;d won our last two games and were leading Philly when Vinny got benched.

Vinny&#39;s numbers last season: 123 of 198 for 1,385 yards, 7 touchdowns, 2 interceptions

Just plain awful, Bob.

All League
    You guys are forgetting that Vinny DID NOT want to be here anymore. In an ESPN article about the Big D reunion he said he is SO much happier than he was last year. He wanted a shot to start and that was NOT GOING TO HAPPEN with Chad now at the helm.

All League
    Originally posted by Gas2No99@Aug 13 2004, 11:24 PM
    You guys are forgetting that Vinny DID NOT want to be here anymore. In an ESPN article about the Big D reunion he said he is SO much happier than he was last year. He wanted a shot to start and that was NOT GOING TO HAPPEN with Chad now at the helm.
    No,,,,,,,,,,,

Vinny had said several times he had no problem backing up Chad.

He wanted to be guaranteed he would be the back up.

They wouldn&#39;t do it, The issue was about 3rd string, not starter................... I&#39;ll ask you. Who are we going to get that is better????

Vinny cost us 4.5 million against the cap. Who ever we get is going to be an add on to that.

That&#39;s a pretty expensive back up, who isn&#39;t on the team, and is probably going to the playoffs as the starter for another team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Gas2No99@Aug 14 2004, 12:24 AM
    No one is forgetting that..........please..........Vinny honestly feels that he has something left in the tank and with a coaching staff that is willing to work with him and not against him, Vinny will do well in Dallas. He had every right in the world to pursue that starting position with Dallas.......

But, if the Jets don&#39;t go out and find a vet pretty soon we will be in major trouble if God forbid anything happens to Chad, everyone better say their prayers every Sunday........Keeping Vinny would have been the wise thing to do.......

I agree with everything FlaGreen said so there&#39;s no point in repeating it........our Defense stunk last year, there is no way to sugar coat that...........and yes, I firmly believe we would have won that Philly game if Vinny wasn&#39;t pulled.

All Pro
    Can anyone actually tell me what Vinny exactly did for the Jets last year?? :blink:

Banned
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Aug 14 2004, 12:05 AM
    Can anyone actually tell me what Vinny exactly did for the Jets last year?? :blink:
    What did Brooks Bollinger do for the Jets last year? :blink:

All League
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Aug 14 2004, 12:05 AM
    see Troll&#39;s post above.

he posted decent numbers, kept us in games, won a couple (and lost some others by no fault of his)....

he did pretty much what you expect a back up qb to do.

do you have confidence that bollinger or ray can do the same?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by gaffneycatch@Aug 14 2004, 01:13 AM

do you have confidence that bollinger or ray can do the same?
    Of course he does.........

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Aug 14 2004, 01:05 AM
    Can you tell me what YOU did for the Jets last year........

I&#39;m glad the Jets cut Vinny since it gives Vinny one last chance of playing for a coach who has confidence in him, something Herm did not have from day 1. Testeverde played well last year for the Jets despite being given basically no opportunity to win any games between the poor coaching and defense and not to mention Curtis Conway and his drops.

The team probably made the right move cutting the cord with Vinny to get him off the cap, but I think anyone would take him over Bollinger.