Thread: Sunday Daily News

All Pro
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...2p-190988c.html

Jets Notebook

WOUNDED KNEE: From all indications, Brooks Bollinger's sprained knee isn't serious. He could've returned to the game with a brace if he had been the starting quarterback, Edwards said. Bollinger, hurt in the third quarter, underwent an MRI exam. The Jets didn't release the results.

Bollinger (6-for-11, 85 yards) appears to be losing his grip on the No. 2 job, although he was praised by Edwards for rebounding after two early fumbles.

Third-string QB Ricky Ray also struggled.

The Jets are exploring the QB market for a veteran backup.

HE'S GREEN: Rookie SS Erik Coleman, who started for the injured Reggie Tongue (calf), showed his inexperience. He got fooled on an end-around to WR Donte Stallworth, who ran for 24 yards.

"He made some mistakes, but he made them at full speed," Edwards said of Coleman, one of the bright spots in camp.

ZERO EFFECT: DT Dewayne Robertson, who said at the start of camp that his goal this season is to dominate, got off to an uneventful start. Struggling to get off blocks, he wasn't credited with any tackles in three series. . . . Rookie RB Josh Davis, trying to make the team as a kickoff returner, suffered a serious knee injury. It's believed to be a torn ACL. . . . Rookie LB Darrell McClover sprained an ankle; it's not serious. . . . Camp resumes today with a 3:30 practice.
    Sounds like Bollinger is lucky that Ray is struggling too.

Not good news for Josh Davis

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ZERO EFFECT: DT Dewayne Robertson, who said at the start of camp that his goal this season is to dominate, got off to an uneventful start. Struggling to get off blocks, he wasn't credited with any tackles in three series.

Obviously, "Can't somebody block me".

Way to back up all that talk DRob. :lol:

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Aug 15 2004, 01:18 PM
    ZERO EFFECT: DT Dewayne Robertson, who said at the start of camp that his goal this season is to dominate, got off to an uneventful start. Struggling to get off blocks, he wasn't credited with any tackles in three series.

Obviously, "Can't somebody block me".

You mean to tell me in the THREE series that he was in that he didnt register 24 sacks, 29 pressures, 112 tackles and 143 assists?

I mean he did have THREE series to prove his worth

CUT HIM NOW

Banned
    lets cut drob right now!!..... :lol:

too bad about josh davis, that really sucks

JetsInsider.com Legend
    from what i heard Drob was great the other night

yet more proof that stats for DL can be very misleading

All Pro
    Originally posted by NYSE+Aug 15 2004, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NYSE @ Aug 15 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PatsFanTX@Aug 15 2004, 01:18 PM
    ZERO EFFECT: DT Dewayne Robertson, who said at the start of camp that his goal this season is to dominate, got off to an uneventful start. Struggling to get off blocks, he wasn&#39;t credited with any tackles in three series.

Obviously, "Can&#39;t somebody block me".

You mean to tell me in the THREE series that he was in that he didnt register 24 sacks, 29 pressures, 112 tackles and 143 assists?

I mean he did have THREE series to prove his worth

CUT HIM NOW [/b][/quote]
    yeah i know three series and Brady would have had 400 yards passing 6 Tds and not a stictch of dirt on him...

I rather see him doing minimal now and then blow it up come September 12

Practice Squad
    D-Rob was doubled all night and still probably had more QB pressures than anyone on our team&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;& #33;&#33;Do you Pats fans watch the games,or do you just look at the stats in the paper???You are about as clueless as the moron that wrote this article&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :o

Rookie
    It&#39;s true Drob didn&#39;t show up on the stats sheet, but I bet the coaches are happy with his performance.

Two most important facts from the game.

A ) Drob was doubled teamed all night. I&#39;m not talking about here and there. Drob was double teamed every play. In fact, Ellis, Abraham, Evans never, not once, faced a double team. Ferguson was double teamed only twice, along with Drob while the Jets played a three man line. This is no mistake by the Saints or some strange series of coincidences. It was by design.

B ) Drob held his ground on running plays, despite being doubled.

------------

Drob vs Saints - the breakdown.

SERIES ONE

Play one: Quick dump pass to the opposite side of field. Hobson makes tackle. No Gain.
    Abraham drops into pass coverage. Drob is doubled by the Left G and Left OT - pushes them both into the backfield. Gets as close to QB as anyone else who are all single blocked.

Play two: Quick short pass - incomplete.
    Drob is doubled by the Right G and OT. He drives them both back five yards into the backfield.
    Ferguson doubled by the center and Left guard, doesn&#39;t get off the LOS. Ellis is singled blocked by OT. Abraham again drops back into coverage.

Play three: Passing down. QB forced to scramble - Vilma tackles him after a 2 yard gain.
    Drob is doubled by Center and Left G. Pushes them both into QB, flushing him out of the pocket along with Ellis who gets pressure. Again Drob is doubled while everyone else is single blocked.

Saints forced to Punt.

SERIES TWO

Play one: Run play. Drob is doubled by Left G and OT. Abraham plays down and is blocked by the TE. Drob stands his ground - doesn&#39;t get pushed back at all. Running back, seeing there is no hole, cuts back to the opposite direction and is tackled by McGraw for a four yard gain.

Play two: Run play. 2 yard gain. Drob is blocked by Left G and OT and holds his ground. Abraham runs upfield, no one has to block him -- he takies himself out of the play.

Play three: Quick pass play - interception by McGraw. Drob stunts around OT but play is over before any lineman has a chance to get near QB.

SERIES THREE

Play one: Run play. 2 yard gain.
    The center and guard walls Drob off, but gets no push.

Play two: Drob is doubled by the center and Left G. Drob takes both blockers to the right opening up a lane for Vilma, who nearly sacks the QB on a delayed blitz. Everyone else is singled blocked. QB flips the ball to running back for little gain.

Play three: 3rd and long. Four man rush. Ellis is blocked by Right OT. Evans is blocked by Right G and doesn&#39;t get off the LOS. Abraham is blocked by Right OT. Drob is doubled by Center and Right G and gets as close to the QB as anyone.

Pass complete - First down.

Play four: Run play. Drob is doubled by the Left OG and OT. Doesn&#39;t give any ground. Abraham playing to his right is only blocked by the TE. The running who is bottled up cuts back and gains four yards.

Play five: Passing play. Drob, playing over the Left OT runs a stunt, looping back around the center and up the middle, pressuring the QB out of the pocket. QB completes the pass anyway, but a double penalty causes a repeat of the down.

Play six: Run play - sweep to the opposite side of the field. Drob isn&#39;t blocked by anyone. He does the smart thing, taking the correct angle of pursuit to back up the LBs. Of course this year is different because Vilma comes out of no where to tackle the RB for a short gain.

Play seven: 3rd and five. Four man rush. Drob is blocked by the center and Left G. Ellis, Abraham, and Evans are all single blocked. Noone gets near the QB, who throws an incomplete pass.

-----------------

Drob will never get any credit - that&#39;s clear.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Nails@Aug 15 2004, 05:12 PM

Drob was doubled teamed all night. I&#39;m not talking about here and there. Drob was double teamed every play.
    Isn&#39;t that excuse getting old?

All League
    Nails looks like DRob backing up that talk from your report

All League
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 15 2004, 05:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Aug 15 2004, 05:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nails@Aug 15 2004, 05:12 PM

Drob was doubled teamed all night. I&#39;m not talking about here and there. Drob was double teamed every play.
    Isn&#39;t that excuse getting old? [/b][/quote]
    Not when you stop to consider he spent the bulk of that time lining up as a Nose Tackle in a 3-4 alignment. Dan Klecko didn&#39;t last 4 games playing that position before Mumbles yanked him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Aug 15 2004, 05:48 PM

Dan Klecko didn&#39;t last 4 games playing that position before Mumbles yanked him.
    Klecko was a freakin 4th round draft pick.

DRob was the very first defensive player selected.

You can&#39;t be serious with that comparison. :blink:

Waterboy
    Cimini of the Daily News has been continually trying to rip Robertson every chance he gets. I guess the jack ass did not see the one Quarterback pressure that Robertson had which caused a 3rd down incompletion. I actually heard Cimini just now coming home from Training camp just say that the Jets have a "punchers chance with Pennington". Cimini is a negative writer who is very sarcastic as a beat reporter.

Rookie
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 15 2004, 05:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Aug 15 2004, 05:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nails@Aug 15 2004, 05:12 PM

Isn&#39;t that excuse getting old? [/b][/quote]
    Drob was effective despite being doubled.

Also, isn&#39;t it odd that some of the most highly regarded DT&#39;s in the league are not doubled as often as Drob is, and when they are, they do worse than Drob, yet no one ever calls them on it.

Very odd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by PatsFanTX@Aug 15 2004, 02:18 PM
    ZERO EFFECT: DT Dewayne Robertson, who said at the start of camp that his goal this season is to dominate, got off to an uneventful start. Struggling to get off blocks, he wasn&#39;t credited with any tackles in three series.

Obviously, "Can&#39;t somebody block me".

Gee Tex I thought he said he Ate at Domino&#39;s..In Old Kentucky that
    comes out to Dominate ..Burp..

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: dam I get it now&#33;&#33;&#33;

It&#39;s time to cut D-Rob after a couple series of the first pre season game&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Friggin clowns&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: to the Chowd clowns:

did you even see the game? I did and D-Rob looked pretty decent to me.....he was pushing the o line and they double teamed him.

All Pro
    It&#39;s good to see that Herm can always turns a negative into a positive when referring to his 2nd string QB position status. It&#39;s always good to look on the brighter side.