Thread: jonathan goodwin profile

All League
    Jets' Player Profile
    Wednesday, August 18, 2004
    OL JONATHAN GOODWIN

Suddenly, the light has come on for third-year center/guard Jonathan Goodwin. And he has his family and friends back home in Columbia, S.C., to thank for it.

Advertisement

Goodwin, a fifth-round pick in 2002, hadn't really distinguished himself in his first two seasons with the Jets despite playing in 28 games and taking more than 100 snaps in each of those seasons. He played mainly guard, and the Jets were practically trying to hand him the starting job last season and he wouldn't take it.

"I guess, in a lot of ways, whether I realize it or not, I probably have a little more of a drive this year," Goodwin said yesterday at Hofstra. "It's no more being young. It's either put up or shut up. I had a lot of people, even back home, tell me that this is my third year and I better do something or else you're not going to be around anymore.

"That right there kind of let me know. I'm not ready for my career to be over. I just wish it had kicked in a lot earlier but it didn't and I have to do it now."

Goodwin has played so well at center that the Jets are confident he's their guy behind Mawae. They're also working him at guard again.

"If someone asked me who has been the surprise of camp, I would say Jonathan, and really, that's how it should be," offensive line coach Doug Marrone said. "He's going into his third year. He has been around some good veteran players. He has without a doubt picked up his play. We're very pleased.

"The big thing is that he has been much more aggressive. I always thought Jonathan was thinking too much. He didn't want to make a mistake and that's the common mistake young players make."

Unlike most centers, Mawae is mobile and the Jets have built much of their offense around his mobility. He pulls on runs and passes. If he goes down, the Jets would be in trouble.

With that in mind, Marrone asked Goodwin to lose weight to help his quickness and Goodwin dropped 13 pounds, down to 300. He said he never thought it would make that much of a difference, but it has.

"Jonathan has the athletic ability to get outside and some good in-line strength," Marrone said. "He's probably a tad behind Kevin as far as getting out their in space and getting leverage on guys, but most everyone in the league would have that problem."

WHO'S HOT

Newly-acquired CB Andrew Davison bounced back after struggling his first day. ... LBs Jason Glenn and Ryan Myers had interceptions.

WHO'S NOT

WR Santana Moss had a rare drop. ... LB/DE John Abraham was caught inside on several outside running plays. ... RB LaMont Jordan and Moss fumbled an exchange on a reverse.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"If the quarterback is looking straight down the middle, he's probably throwing it straight down the middle." -- An irate defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson screamed after QB Ricky Ray hit WR Matt Dominguez down the middle between several defenders.

DEPTH CHART

The Jets have good depth at receiver, with Justin McCareins, Santana Moss, Wayne Chrebet, Jonathan Carter and rookie Jerricho Cotchery. Free agents Matt Dominguez and Ken-Yon Rambo have also made plays. They'll likely keep five.

INJURY REPORT

CB Ray Mickens (knee), QB Brooks Bollinger (knee), FS Reggie Tongue (calf), WR Lawrence Hamilton (hamstring), RB Derrick Ward (ankle) and DE Kevin Fales (knee) remain out. WR Wayne Chrebet (quad) was injured Monday afternoon and is questionable vs. Indy. ... CB Jon Pendergrass (knee), DE Joey Evans (knee) and FB B.J. Askew (shoulder) are banged up.

TODAY'S BUZZ

The bad blood brewing between the offense and defense -- practices have been the most physical since coach Herman Edwards arrived -- erupted during a spirited, goal-line drill in the afternoon when LB Eric Barton flung down RB Jonathan Reese well after the whistle and then threw the ball at him as the pair exchanged words.

On the next play, Barton, an ex-Raider, grabbed rookie T Marko Cavka's facemask as Cavka attempted to block him. While the players were separated, several players jawed at each other, with LB Jason Glenn pushing TE Anthony Becht.

Players continued to yell from a distance after the first-team defense was replaced by the second-team defense to avoid further chaos. Barton was held out when the first team returned.

PLAY OF THE DAY

TE Mikhael Ricks made a lunging grab on a Ricky Ray pass.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE

8:45 a.m.-10:15 a.m.; 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.

Rookie
    I like to see a little fire between the offense and defense. Shows they care ... I think Marko would kick Bartons A$$.