Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox or PS2?

Practice Squad
    Ok so here is my dilllema:

Ive always played Madden on the PC since I have never bought a PS2 or Xbox or any other system for that matter since SEGA. Yes its ok to laugh, I am 22 but all my friends had the consoles so I didnt need to buy it while in college. Anyway, the PC version has been pushed back to September for some strange reason and I figure this is a better time than any to buy one of these consoles.

I have been leaning towards Xbox since I think PS2 has been out longer and Microsoft must have better graphics than the PS2. I think PS2 could be outdated soon since Id imagine Sony will be making a PS3? Also, I really want to get in on some online leagues as this was the main reason why I use to buy the game for PC. They had leagues, individual online player ratings (I was ranked in the top 100 for a few years )and updated rosters available, but I figure that is all available through both consoles just like it was for PC.

Also, any places you know of where I can buy the consoles for good prices? I figured Id check out Costco or Sams Club for starters. I have searched Ebay already and seen some decent prices but I have no clue as to what Id want included with the console (ie; types of controllers, extra cables, etc.)

Ok so now that Ive told you my situation...what do you guys think? Your help is much appreciated!

All League
    Originally posted by CTJet82@Aug 18 2004, 12:17 PM
    Ok so here is my dilllema:

Ive always played Madden on the PC since I have never bought a PS2 or Xbox or any other system for that matter since SEGA. Yes its ok to laugh, I am 22 but all my friends had the consoles so I didnt need to buy it while in college. Anyway, the PC version has been pushed back to September for some strange reason and I figure this is a better time than any to buy one of these consoles.

I have been leaning towards Xbox since I think PS2 has been out longer and Microsoft must have better graphics than the PS2. I think PS2 could be outdated soon since Id imagine Sony will be making a PS3? Also, I really want to get in on some online leagues as this was the main reason why I use to buy the game for PC. They had leagues, individual online player ratings (I was ranked in the top 100 for a few years )and updated rosters available, but I figure that is all available through both consoles just like it was for PC.

Also, any places you know of where I can buy the consoles for good prices? I figured Id check out Costco or Sams Club for starters. I have searched Ebay already and seen some decent prices but I have no clue as to what Id want included with the console (ie; types of controllers, extra cables, etc.)

Ok so now that Ive told you my situation...what do you guys think? Your help is much appreciated!
    If youre looking for pretty graphics... go with the Xbox... (even though I think the the Collector's Edition PS2 version that I own looks great) but if you're going to be buying more than just Madden for a particular console, definately go with PS2 if you ask me... dont worry about "being outdated" because rumors have it that the Xbox 2 and PS3 will be coming out around the similar time in early 2006... so both the ps2 and xbox have about the same amount of life left in each... like i said before... xbox has prettier games, but the ps2 has more of them...

Practice Squad
    No brainer. Xbox.

All Pro
    What types of games do you plan on playing?

The XBox and Gamecube voth get far more play in my house than the PS2. Figure out what games you want to play, and then which system has more of them.

If it is a Madden only decission you are fine with either one. Especially since the PS2 has the nifty Collector's Edition.

I could be wrong but dony you have to pay monthly for Xbox live.

All Pro
    50 bucks a year, and you get a free game (I think Crimson Skies is the new pack-in) in your Xbox Live Bundle. The PS2 now comes bundled with the Network Adaptor and ATV 2.

Waterboy
    Get ESPN NFL 2K5 for XBOX - Madden sucks, only good thing on Madden is the Franchise Mode.

Hall Of Fame
    I have no clue, but Winning Eleven 7 is the best video game ever made, and I have it on PS2. It's all I ever play. It's a soccer game that makes those FIFA games look like garbage (because they are).

Do whatever you have to do to get that game. Screw Madden,

Practice Squad
    Im mostly into sports and racing games as of right now.

If you have to pay for Xbox live thats another thing I will consider. Do you have to pay to play online PS2?

Also, what is the difference between the original PS2 and Special Edition?

And lastly, anyone have those ideas about where to buy?

Banned
    PS2. Madden on the PS2 is a sweet proposition...

1) Playing online is free
    2) we have a PS2 league here on Jets Insider.com and I moderate the forum
    3) PS2 Collector's edition is awesome as it has so much content....
    4) The ps2 gameplay is superb
    5) the Xbox's graphics are probably better but to be honest i have played both and its not overwhelmingly different.

I love my ps2 and I am a Madden Fanatic....and its my birthday...hahahaha

When you do get madden for the ps2 dont forget to sign up for the Premium pass...its free..thanks to Dodge.

LL

Banned
    i would go with the ps2...can play online for free unlike the xbox...

the only thing i play anymore is madden and its still worth the $120 i paid for it used at a local place with a few games a year or so ago...but i would buy one on ebay if i had the same choice now...

All Pro
    If you are looking to play in a Madden league your best bet is the PS2. I think there are a lot more out there though you would expect some Xbox ones to start up. The Xbox is a better system but the PS2 is still strong and has a ton of games. Get a used one at EB or Gamestop if you are worried about the price. Warranty is like 3 months so buying new doesn't get you far. Make sure you get the network card for the PS2 though it is integrated into the Xbox.

All Pro
    The x-box is a better console, by far. And for those that say that PS2 has more games, well, that used to be true. Microsoft is quickly catching Sony in that department.

However, the $50 a year to play online is a bit steep, IMO.

Maxman
    XBOX also has a hard drive so you can rip music to it and plenty of it. It has been my experience (my bro has a PS2) that games seem to load much faster on the XBOX.

Network adapter built in, the $50 is a small price to pay IMO. Only broadband connections are supported (no dial up) so they horror stories on PS2 about dropped connections etc have not been found on XBOX Live.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Maxman@Aug 18 2004, 02:00 PM
    XBOX also has a hard drive so you can rip music to it and plenty of it. It has been my experience (my bro has a PS2) that games seem to load much faster on the XBOX.

Network adapter built in, the $50 is a small price to pay IMO. Only broadband connections are supported (no dial up) so they horror stories on PS2 about dropped connections etc have not been found on XBOX Live.
    I paid for Xbox live a couple years ago and it sucked. Tons of lag and a lot of quitters when the going got rough. Personally I like the PS2 for online play so far.

PS2. HTH

All Pro
    X Box kills PS2, better Games, better Graphics, and its just coming into its prime. I don't want to rag on PS2 but its day is over and don't be fooled by PS2 fanboys, X Box live is faster smoother and easier to use than anything Sony has.

All League
    Dude dont you realize, prime or not... xbox is out the door for the next generation of Microsoft and Sony systems come 2006... they hit their stride way to late in the game... Xbox Live is better than PS2, but not 50 dollars a year better by far... I cant complain about PS2 Online... its a great experience, especially for Madden.

Hall Of Fame
    i have an xbox and just started the live thing. for what its worth, it all works well. i.e. no glitches

the ps2 is free online but as a student of human nature, i would bet that it wont be for very long. xbox games are growing. i dunno you really cant lose with either

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by shasta@Aug 18 2004, 02:13 PM
    X Box kills PS2, better Games, better Graphics, and its just coming into its prime. I don't want to rag on PS2 but its day is over and don't be fooled by PS2 fanboys, X Box live is faster smoother and easier to use than anything Sony has.
    never played ps2 live but i can say for sure that xbox live is seamless and fast