Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGahee: Play me or Trade me

Source: McGahee wants start...or trade

Associated Press

8/20/2004

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Running back Willis McGahee has asked the Buffalo Bills to trade him if he is not their starter on opening day, a source told The Associated Press on Friday.

McGahee's request was not issued as an ultimatum, but the player made clear he won't be happy playing backup to incumbent Travis Henry, said the source, who is close to McGahee, and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said, ``There is no truth to that whatsoever.''

McGahee was not available for comment, as the Bills were off Friday in preparation for Saturday's pre-season game against Tennessee. McGahee's agent Drew Rosenhaus declined comment.

After hosting Tennessee, the Bills close their pre-season with two road games in preparation for their season-opener against Jacksonville on Sept. 12.

Questions about how the two running backs can work together have been raised since the Bills selected McGahee 23rd overall in the 2003 draft.

Henry is now coming off his second consecutive 1,000-yard season while McGahee missed his entire rookie season recovering from reconstructive surgery on his left knee.

The former Miami star was considered a top-three pick before he was hurt in his final college game, the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the national championship, the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

Rookie coach Mike Mularkey has said that both players can work together this season, but has maintained that Henry is his starter.

That's been evident through camp, where Henry has worked exclusively with the starting unit, while McGahee has worked mostly with the second string.

McGahee has looked good so far.

In his pre-season debut, he had 13 carries for 58 yards, a 9-yard reception, and scored the go-ahead touchdown from the 1, in Buffalo's 16-6 win over Denver last Sunday. McGahee also shone, scoring four touchdowns from within two yards, during a controlled scrimmage against Cleveland earlier this month.

While Henry and McGahee refer to themselves as friends, theirs has been an uneasy relationship.

Henry initially called the Bills decision to draft McGahee as a slap in the face.

He's since backed off that claim, saying the two can work together.

Henry, however, has previously said that he's not prepared to be a backup to McGahee. Henry has also said that he expects one of them to be traded after the end of this season.

Henry is signed through the 2005 season. McGahee has four years left on a contract that could potentially be worth $15.53 million US if he meets all the incentives.

All Pro
    Am i wrong or didn't Henry say the same thing last week?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Who Cares??? If they arent wearing Green and White it is not important. I just worry about the Jets. If the Jets are healthy and prepared, the other teams problems wont matter.

Banned
    Originally posted by shasta@Aug 20 2004, 02:10 PM
    Am i wrong or didn't Henry say the same thing last week?
    yep, he sure did

Henry has 3000 yards over the past 2 years, but McGahee has alot of promise in his future

tough call for the Bills

and noone saw this coming...

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    I'll take a chance on Mcgahee. Send him to Miami

Rookie
    that's what they get for making a problem out of a good situation

sure Henry isn't the most explosive back in the league but he is better then most

Banned
    Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2@Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM
    only if they get Chris Chambers in return

All Pro
    If he said it this kid is just another Miami punk. The Bills were laughed at be almost every report for taking McGahee in the first round. Way to appreciate someone stepping up for you.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2@Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM
    Given what you have to look forward to in Miami I would take a chance too.

Minors 5 carries for 0 yards will do that to you.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    It amazes me about how many Yahoos constantly blast Herm (three years-2 playoff appearences and a division title). The Jets have never panicked or had any internal strife under his watch.

When Jordan said was upset about not being a featured back Herm spoke to him and you have not heard a peep out of Jordan since...he's still not happy but he's not talking. The only time I see talk about Jordan is from certain people here.

Buffalo has two talented backs...a proven one in Henry (almost 3,000 yards in 2 years) and a talented yet unproven back in McGahee....I see unproven because getting 50+ yards against a 3rd string defense and getting 4 touchdowns (all from the 2 yard line) in a CONTROLLED SCRIMMAGE VS the Browns does not make you a proven player.

The Bills coach may now have two Backs who are disgruntled before the season even starts....he also have a seasoned veteran QB thats trying to get back on track.

Say what you want about Herm and the Jets but you never see this crap...one of our biggest problems was no talent and that is now changing.

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Originally posted by Jet Nut+Aug 20 2004, 06:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet Nut @ Aug 20 2004, 06:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2@Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM
    I&#39;ll take a chance on Mcgahee. Send him to Miami

Minors 5 carries for 0 yards will do that to you. [/b][/quote]
    I will say our running game is SCARY&#33;&#33;&#33; Minor is so not a starting RB it&#39;s not even funny. Sammy Morris is a full back and the other clowns we have SUCK. Our running game is undoubtedly the worst in the league.

Blackout806--- only in return for Chambers :o ??????&#33;&#33;&#33; Nah..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can thank Ricky for that............................

All League
    Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2+Aug 20 2004, 01:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2 @ Aug 20 2004, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jet Nut@Aug 20 2004, 06:33 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    @Aug 20 2004, 02:13 PM
    I&#39;ll take a chance on Mcgahee. Send him to Miami

Minors 5 carries for 0 yards will do that to you.
    I will say our running game is SCARY&#33;&#33;&#33; Minor is so not a starting RB it&#39;s not even funny. Sammy Morris is a full back and the other clowns we have SUCK. Our running game is undoubtedly the worst in the league.

Blackout806--- only in return for Chambers :o ??????&#33;&#33;&#33; Nah.. [/b][/quote]
    Man that whole Dolphins running game reminds me of what New England went through a a few years back when they lost Martin and Robert Edwards had that unfortunate injury...every year there were 4 or 5 backs on the roster who at one point was given the start.

Total disaster, but the difference here is I dont see a New England-esque turn-around with Wanny at the helm

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Dolphinworshipper I disagree...the worst running attack in the NFL will be the Arizona Cardinals...losing Shipp was huge and Emmit will not be able to carry that team. At least Minor has the speed and the moves to be a threat.

Banned
    dw2.

wouldn&#39;t the dolphins be getting ripped off if they traded Chris Chambers (aka Randy Moss) for willis mcgahee?

:lol:

All League
    They asked for this situation, what with drafting a top flight back when they already had a 3 yr veteran RB who was great.

dont trade either one to miami plz, somewhere outside the division

Banned

All Pro
    Originally posted by PFCLive@Aug 20 2004, 03:00 PM
    Its a false report

http://www.profootballcentral.com/
    Always with the inside scoop.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Man that whole Dolphins running game reminds me of what New England went through a a few years back when they lost Martin and Robert Edwards had that unfortunate injury...every year there were 4 or 5 backs on the roster who at one point was given the start.

Total disaster, but the difference here is I dont see a New England-esque turn-around with Wanny at the helm
    Agree with Wanny comment, but he wont be around after this season to turn anything around.

I&#39;ll add that I don&#39;t trust Speilman to lead a turn around.

As for the RB&#39;s, even after the loss of Martin and Edwards the Pats still might have been in better shape thant the fish.

Big difference? The Pats had Bledsoe to rely on, the fish have nothing at QB eiher.