Thread: Jets '04 D-Line

All League
    After watching the game last night, I definately felt that the d-line has a way to go. We were being ran on relentlessly. I know it's early and definately not the time to panic, but I had SERIOUS flashbacks of our '03 run D.

What I also find rather annoying is that every article I read about our d line talks about having 4 1st rounders and thus it should be a strength. Yet, I think it just adds more pressure on these guys that will only contribute to fan disappointment due to lofty expectations these guys won't meet.

The secondary looked solid except for the cross route that went by a blitzing McGraw.
    Just curious to what you guys & gals thought of our D and realisitic (b/c on paper we SHOULD be a lock down D accorinding to draft status) benchmarks. I don't think we'll be top ten at this rate, but definately top 15.

Abe looks like he's prmied to play, having fun again, but the rest of our run d had me concerned.

BTW, what's the verdict on Fergy? done or still have some left in the tank? haven't heard a peep out of/from him at all through out training camp. ? :unsure:

the D is far from being able to dominate games. but you cant base their performance on one preseason game. Besides the expectations n fan pressure, you have to consider all the changes this D has gone trough. A new D coordinator, overhaul of the LB corp and the DB's. A D line that has not played toghether as one unit (due to injurys, etc.). Basically we will not know exactly wat this D is capable of until they get time to develop some chemistry and learn the system. they will be shaky at first but will eventually put it together.

All Pro
    Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said his plan was to go with his nickel and dime packages and hopefully force turnovers, which the Jets did. He said the Colts were able to run because he didn't want to show his blitz packages out of the nickel and dime.

That was a blurb from a Newsday article this morning. Take it for what it's worth.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

no one is talking domination but after two games and still learning a new system, they are progressing well. It's only been two pre season games and some of you make it seem like teams are running all over us. The Jets had 4 rookies on the field against the Colts 1st team offense and the bulk f Edge James yardage came when we were in the dime defense and they caught us on draw plays.

31-7

Rookie
    I'm not worried about the D-line. The attack-style D is going to give up some plays, and Edgerrin James runs well against just about anyone the Colts face. The D is made to take risks and cause turnovers. Give a big play, take a big play. You saw it with the turnovers they caused--that End-zone pick was no fluke, it was the D-line coming hard and forcing the QB into quick reactions. Of course D-rob should've been a bigger presence, no denying that.

All League
    First off, I wasn't commenting on the jets entire D, but the defensive line.

And my criticism stems from that fact that, despite new DC, schemes, and philosophy, the line should have been able to get more pentration and pressure on Manning. The Abe pressure that caused the INT was a good example of their development, but considering the fact that there are 2 pro-bowlers and a top 5 pick starting, there should have been more pressure based on pure talent alone.

I'm not bashing our performance, but based on the fact that we started with nickel and dime packages only stresses the fact that Manning still was facing a four-man rush that did not put much pressure on the run. Meaning, we got overpowered in man-on-man blocking (indy has no big-name blockers either) which should not occur based on our supposed talent level on that unit.

I think our D will be fine overall bit our line still leaves me concerned thus far

Rookie
    Originally posted by Gas2No99@Aug 22 2004, 11:40 PM
    First off, I wasn't commenting on the jets entire D, but the defensive line.

And my criticism stems from that fact that, despite new DC, schemes, and philosophy, the line should have been able to get more pentration and pressure on Manning. The Abe pressure that caused the INT was a good example of their development, but considering the fact that there are 2 pro-bowlers and a top 5 pick starting, there should have been more pressure based on pure talent alone.

I'm not bashing our performance, but based on the fact that we started with nickel and dime packages only stresses the fact that Manning still was facing a four-man rush that did not put much pressure on the run. Meaning, we got overpowered in man-on-man blocking (indy has no big-name blockers either) which should not occur based on our supposed talent level on that unit.

I think our D will be fine overall bit our line still leaves me concerned thus far
    I&#39;m clear on the topic of D-line, but the fact is that the D works as a unit. As a unit, we&#39;ll do alright. Is there room for concern about the D-line? Certainly, but only in run defense. Our pass-rush is going to be killer. So we&#39;ve got three weeks and half of the equation solved. Bigger concern is still secondary if you ask me. But that&#39;s where the pass-rush comes in. As a unit we&#39;ll be alright. It&#39;s not like we were run over by a second-rate back in a mediocre offense. (That was last season). <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: the d line is just fine...most of those yards were on draw plays.