Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was a first game ever more important?

All League
    Judging by past starts, this game is huge.

I think that if we go out and crush Cincy, we will have a huge season.

If they trash us, we have a very long season.

I'd luv to see a 35-7 beating to set the tone for the whole season!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:
    Cincy should be tough but I am confident in a Jets victory

Veteran
    One point is good enough for me.

All Pro
    I will take a win no matter what the final score is. 2-0 going into the week 3 bye is all I want to set the tone for the year.

Maxman
    CT...I get your point but I don't think the team is a lock either way despite the outcome.

But it would be a huge help to see them beat Cinn and start off on the right foot. Especially since they won't be home for another month.

Veteran
    This game will set the tone. First of all, a home game opening day. Jet fans at the game really need to get behind their team and make their presence felt! A home field advantage is always a plus. This will be our first glance at our 'new & improved' Jets team. This team will be searching to find it's identity. How explosive is our offense? How does it match up against Marv Lewis' defense? Can our defense dominate a game? Can they get to the QB and force turnovers? On opening day we'll have a look at what's to come. However, be mindful that last season on opening day, Buffalo gave the Pats a beatin'. The Pats went on to win the Superbowl, Buffalo just faded away. This is a game the Jets should win. I think we could all use an opening day victory!

Hall Of Fame
    This, for me, rivals the opener when Vinny went down, in terms of lofty expectations.

All Pro
    I was just looking at the schedule and one thing that is big in how our schdule is built is there is only one time that the Jets play back to back road games! That is huge! I forget the exact statistic but it was something along the line of teams playing consecutive games on the road only have a 20% record of winning the second game. I just know it makes it a lot harder. On top of that our one 2 week road series is @ Cleveland and then @ Arizona. Playing in Arizona is like playing in a cemetary, there is NO home field advantage there because the 3 fans that go to the games aren't that loud. Another reason our schedule looks good. Hell with as many of you that have posted that you are going to the AZ game there just might be more Jets fans in the stands that AZ fans. :lol:

All League
    Charter JI Member

EVERY game is important until you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Even then, they MIGHT be important, if they give you a chance to knock the Phish, Giants or Patsies out of the playoffs.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Aug 27 2004, 09:07 AM
    EVERY game is important until you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Even then, they MIGHT be important, if they give you a chance to knock the Phish, Giants or Patsies out of the playoffs.
    Or until you are mathematically the owner of the first round bye and home field through out. Don't be a pessemist.

All League
    Originally posted by Maxman@Aug 27 2004, 08:57 AM
    CT...I get your point but I don't think the team is a lock either way despite the outcome.

But it would be a huge help to see them beat Cinn and start off on the right foot. Especially since they won't be home for another month.
    It would really suck if we get pasted and have the same problems on D...ie stopping the run.

The vultures in the NY media will kill us. Lupica will have to change his underwear..

We need to get out of the gate and set the pace...Don't want to be a closer ( on a muddy track) this year

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

...just to get the monkey off our backs of our putrid starts so far under herm...

...let the d gel together...

...we have a good chance to make some noise this year...
    ...i agree that having it home will be quite important ... so far palmer has looked pretty good & poised this preseason & if the place gets loud it may help to cause him some difficulty...

...i think the fact that it is his first game should give us an edge ... but ... you know they will feed rudi johnson the ball alot & our run d has to show more than we've seen yet....

...a game that could potentially have us blowing them out (wouldn't that be an amazing way to start a season B) ) ... but most likely it will be hard fought game ... they are much improved and lewis has them going in the right direction...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    EXTREMELY IIMPORTANT!!!

Veteran
    I agree every game is important but I think last years opener against skins carried a lot more hype than this years opener. thurs night game & exjet players.

that was a huge letdown for me.

All League
    Originally posted by ctjetfan@Aug 27 2004, 08:38 AM
    Judging by past starts, this game is huge.

I think that if we go out and crush Cincy, we will have a huge season.

If they trash us, we have a very long season.

I'd luv to see a 35-7 beating to set the tone for the whole season!!!!
    This game is a must. Losing this game starts the chain of events that will lead to Bradway's firing.

Hall Of Fame
    i just hope they blitz.

All League
    As much as I want a win in the first game, if we went 15-1 and lost the opening game, I would be A-OK.

As a fan, it is going to be great. Tons of tailgaiting... coming off a weeks vacation!

BZ

All Pro
    It's not just the first game. The first 2 are very winnable, and the stretch of 3 games within the division are crucial. We need to be something like 4-1 after 6 weeks, including the bye.

Does anyone remember when we rolled into Seattle with Parcells and the final score was like 45-3? I would love nothing better than to start out the season against Cincinnatti in that fashion.

All League
    I want to see us play with an attitude..This is our house, this is the first game of the season and were going to show you the rest of the leauge what kind of a team we are!! We're going to beat you up physically!!

and If Rudy goes for 200yds it tells us it is the same old BS!!