Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Notes- this line will get you pumped up

Hall Of Fame
    Jets notes
    Monday, August 30, 2004

By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

Here's the pitch

The two-lateral interception return against the Giants - from cornerback Donnie Abraham to rookie safety Erik Coleman to linebacker Victor Hobson - may have seemed reckless, but such plays appear to be part and parcel of coordinator Donnie Henderson's aggressive approach.

The defense's goal each game is to score a touchdown, and if it takes a lateral on a given fumble or interception return to do that, then the players have the green light to go to it.

"But we're only supposed to lateral it once," Coleman said, just a bit sheepishly. "I guess I got caught up in the moment. I'll probably hear from the coaches about it."

Coach Herman Edwards' stance: "If guys are active and having fun pitching the ball back, I'm fine. When they mess one up, believe me, they won't pitch it anymore."

Baker's ingredients

One of several elements we're learning about Chris Baker's game is patience.

"I can't say it hasn't been frustrating," said Baker, starting his third year as a Jets' tight end. "It's taken a little bit longer than I would've hoped. But I can't complain now."

That's because it appears Baker is in the offense's plans. Coordinator Paul Hackett is calling for more alignments with two tight ends, Baker and Anthony Becht, these days.

And the ball is coming to Baker: He has four preseason catches for 55 yards, an average of 13.8 yards, a gaudy number that hasn't been attached to a Jets' tight end since the days of Johnny Mitchell.

At Indianapolis, Baker showed sticky hands on a 2-yard touchdown grab and his after-the-catch dimension on a tackle-breaking 30-yard reception. Then, ignoring an ankle sprain that was supposed to sideline him against the Giants, he added a 10-yard catch that converted a third down.

Jets briefs

This is a big week for the franchise as the Jets and Chad Pennington's agent resume negotiations aimed at getting Pennington the biggest contract in team history before his stated deadline of Tuesday night. ... Doug Brien, whose 23-yarder vs. the Giants made him 6-for-6 on field goals, is one of only three NFL kickers to have tried at least five field goals without a miss in the preseason.

- Randy Lange

Banned
    Lombardi is truning over in his grave right now.

Banned
    Doug Brien, whose 23-yarder vs. the Giants made him 6-for-6 on field goals, is one of only three NFL kickers to have tried at least five field goals without a miss in the preseason.

To all the naysayers on Brien...this guy is gold from 45 yards in....

We need a Punter!

LL

I prefer Brien's inability to hit 50 yard field goals at all to John Hall's inability to hit 30 to 40 yard field goals better than 50%.

Also I love the attention this lateral thing has gotten. Thanks to Randy Lange for covering this topic. Great job Randy, if you are reading this.

Banned
    Originally posted by Brain Hemorrhage@Aug 30 2004, 03:44 PM
    Also I love the attention this lateral thing has gotten.
    Why?

All League
    I think these laterals are dangerous and would perfer never to see another again from a Jet team as long as I live.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:
    the funny thing was how many people here seemed upset about the lateral play on friday!! I love this attitude!

I love this defense.

Banned
    Originally posted by ASH_1962@Aug 30 2004, 03:47 PM
    I think these laterals are dangerous and would perfer never to see another again from a Jet team as long as I live.
    Doesn't the offense get paid good money to put that ball in the endzone?

I thought so,let them do the scoring.

Just get the damn ball.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: whats the big deal???

We had a pickoff and it was lateraled.....it's not like they are goig to do that everytime they get a friggin pick!!!!!
    It was one play and the Jets said that the defense willbe more aggressive and do things the Jets did not do before.

So what? Whats wrong with that?????

Banned
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 30 2004, 03:57 PM
    :ph34r: whats the big deal???

We had a pickoff and it was lateraled.....it's not like they are goig to do that everytime they get a friggin pick!!!!!
    It was one play and the Jets said that the defense willbe more aggressive and do things the Jets did not do before.

So what? Whats wrong with that?????
    As a jets fan i would think you would treasure a turnover as i do.

seeing how they are so few and far between i wouldn't risk giving it back.

I played football for along time and this was something that i was taught not to do,so maybe it's just me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 30 2004, 03:57 PM

whats the big deal???

With as few turnovers as the Jets defense created last year, wouldn't it just make more sense to just hang on to the ball and get the offense back on the field?

Why risk throwing it away with a lateral?

The funny thing here is Hermy condoning this type of reckless play. :blink:

Banned
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 30 2004, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Aug 30 2004, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfreak@Aug 30 2004, 03:57 PM

whats the big deal???

With as few turnovers as the Jets defense created last year, wouldn&#39;t it just make more sense to just hang on to the ball and get the offense back on the field?

Why risk throwing it away with a lateral?

The funny thing here is Hermy condoning this type of reckless play. :blink: [/b][/quote]
    I never ever in my life thought id say this......

You are 100% correct.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: No one is conducting reckless play&#33; Sheesh

lasy year the Ravens did a lateral for a TD and just last week Ravens safety did another lateral for a TD....it&#39;s not conducting reckless play...it&#39;s letting your defense go out there and do what it takes to win. This is such a stupid post&#33;&#33;&#33;

It was one play&#33;

I was a defensive back in college and of course you are taught to hold on to the ball but if the defense laterals the ball after a pick you won&#39;t be reprimanded.

I can&#39;t believe how much of a big deal this has become.

Gimme a break. :lol: :lol:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Aug 30 2004, 04:05 PM

No one is conducting reckless play&#33; Sheesh

The Hermiester&#39;s exact words:

Coach Herman Edwards&#39; stance: "If guys are active and having fun pitching the ball back, I&#39;m fine." :blink: :blink:

Maxman
    Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Aug 30 2004, 04:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PatsFanTX @ Aug 30 2004, 04:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetsfreak@Aug 30 2004, 04:05 PM

No one is conducting reckless play&#33; Sheesh

The Hermiester&#39;s exact words:

Coach Herman Edwards&#39; stance: "If guys are active and having fun pitching the ball back, I&#39;m fine." :blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Billy Bumbles exact words:

"Hello dying man. I will gladly take one million dollars from you. Not to worry I am a man of my word.

Over the past three years, the Ravens defense has scored at least five touchdowns off of a lateral or fake lateral on a turnover return opportunity. That&#39;s 35 points over three years... minimum. 10 points a year is nothing to sneeze at. In fact I remember one play it was versus Tennessee where I think they successfully did a lateral early in the game and then later on Ray Lewis faked the lateral and carried it up field for more yardage. I think it was a playoff game too and was directly responsible for Baltimore&#39;s victory. That&#39;s how I remember it tho, and i coudl be wrong.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Maxman@Aug 30 2004, 04:17 PM

"Hello dying man. I will gladly take one million dollars from you. Not to worry I am a man of my word.
    Max, Tailgater did a fine job addressing that in the "Critique the Pats" thread.

I concur with his response.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r:
    So what? Is there a problem? Is Herm the only coach that don&#39;t have a problem with Laterals? Does that Make Brian Billick a bad coach?

Sorry people but this is nonsense......I don&#39;t care if they lateral all they want if the defesne keeps producing.

5 sacks and 4 turnovers in one game.

Banned
    Can we all agree that once we give 1 back,we stop immediatly.