Thread: Miami MUTINY

Banned
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont...notes_0902.html

DAVIE Coach Dave Wannstedt on Wednesday denied a report that there was a "coaching staff revolt in the off-season when Joel Collier became overwhelmed with the role" as offensive coordinator and Wannstedt "had to make a change."

Collier had been promoted from running backs coach to offensive coordinator but quickly stepped down. Marc Trestman, then the team's new quarterbacks coach, was passed over in favor of tight ends coach Chris Foerster.

According to the story in USA Today Sports Weekly, "The offensive staff basically told Wannstedt they'd quit if Trestman was promoted to the coordinator's role."

EMAIL THIS
    PRINT THIS
    POPULAR PAGES On May 10, Foerster, a former Indianapolis Colts tight ends coach, was promoted by the Dolphins to offensive coordinator, over Trestman, who had been an offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals and Oakland Raiders.

Citing exhaustion, Collier returned to his job as running backs coach. Wannstedt, who has long declined to make Trestman available to comment, said he wanted him to develop Miami's quarterbacks.

"I gave my reasons 1,000 times," Wannstedt said. "With what we're going to do on offense and everything considered, I definitely believe that to keep the thing headed in that direction, that's why I picked Chris. But no, it didn't have anything to do with the other offensive coaches. I made the decision solely by myself."

Wannstedt said the quarterback play has never been better. And that Miami's challenge on offense is getting players to execute, not getting coaches to get along.

"The communication with receivers coach Jerry (Sullivan) and Joel and Chris and Marc has been as good as we've had here," Wannstedt said. "I'm telling you the truth. No one might want to believe it, but it's the truth. We're working through things and have been. Getting ideas is not the problem."

I can just picture Wanny spinning a couple metal balls in his hand ala Cmdr. Queeg.

Charter JI Member
    what a mess

Veteran
    Watch, MIAMI will win it all this year. :unsure:

Banned
    Dat ship be sinkin

All Pro
    Whether it is/was as messy as the article declares, I don't know. But I do know that where there's smoke, there's fire.

Something happened down there. And it was not the most pleasant exchange of opinions between the off. coaching staff.

Banned

All League
    The Phins boards are predicting a 10-6, 11-5 season.

One guy had it about right.

I predict 7-9.

We lose to the Jets 2x and Pats 2x....Split with the Bills.
    Wanny flip flops QBs in a feeble effort to get more wins but too little too late. Some team members start to doubt his coaching ability publicly and the locker room gets divided.
    Wanny and Jay get the boot.

Feeley is competing for a starting position again next year vs a more competitive QB to be determined.
    BZ

Veteran
    wow the poor dolphins have had many storms to weather(and now frances). can't get much worse on the surface but they still could surprise. watch out

Charter JI Member
    I just don't see this group rising to the occasion...Dolphins 6-10 this year

Originally posted by BwanaZulia@Sep 2 2004, 12:45 PM
    The Phins boards are predicting a 10-6, 11-5 season.

One guy had it about right.

I predict 7-9.

We lose to the Jets 2x and Pats 2x....Split with the Bills.
    Wanny flip flops QBs in a feeble effort to get more wins but too little too late. Some team members start to doubt his coaching ability publicly and the locker room gets divided.
    Wanny and Jay get the boot.

Feeley is competing for a starting position again next year vs a more competitive QB to be determined.
    BZ
    I can't believe Phins fans would seriously predict a winning record. Everything that could possibly go wrong for them this off-season, HAS. I mean... I would be depressed, hitting the snooze alarm on my clock, if this happened to my Jets. Oh, well, ignornace is bliss.

This guy had just about everything he said right. But 7-9? He's already predicting 5 division losses. He thinks they're going to be 6-4 against the rest of the league? I don't know about that. I think the Phins, just because they are the Phins, may win a game vs the Pats or Jets. But the whole Wannstedt's head being called for scenario was well-scripted and certainly looks like disaster - a twister coming at a trailer park from a mile away.