Thread: Matt Walters

Hall Of Fame
    How much are the Jets paying Jamie Henderson?

All League
    Cutting Matt Walters was a dumb move, dude. I know it, you know it....c'mon, the guy has out-produced Bust Thomas, outhustles half our roster and knows the game. ON TOP OF THAT, the guy, a converted DT, is a PROTOTYPE 3-4 End. Not only does he chase the QB and "Push the Pocket" (just like our overhyped fat-ass D-drob), but he actually STOPS THE RUN and has a nose for the ball.

I would much rather have Walters on the roster than BT, Trevor "career ending injury in the waiting" Johnson, Mark "never gonna see the field" Brown, or a long shot 7th rounder. Walters was a darn good ballplayer and the type of high-energy, decent production LOW COST players you NEED to fill out a roster.

Walters and Tank Reed, behind the starters WERE our most important and reliable D-Linemen. Why not keep the guy around until at least THE END of his contract?

"SENSE OF URGENCY!! ANYONE!?" lol...

Hall Of Fame
    Matt Walters contributes. Period.

What does BJ Askew do?

jet moses...

be fair to B.J....he never gets a chance to do anything...which could either be because he doesnt do anything in practice or the coaches just dont put him in...and based on the lamont situation id lean towards the latter....

i agree though, cutting matt walters was a ridiculous move...i liked him and it really makes no sense to have cut him. I think when his careers said and done he'll turn out to be a damn good footall player.....he just has something about him...he'll be the consistent player on your team that gets no recognition but just keeps making plays....

Hall Of Fame
    Rashad Washington? Roderick Bryant?

What... the secondary backups need backups? Those guys will never play. Never.

Hall Of Fame
    letting walters go was sheer stupidity

i dont know how such an obvious dumb move is made by these guys sometimes. there were so many others who we could haver ditched instead

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Sep 6 2004, 04:25 PM
    letting walters go was sheer stupidity

i dont know how such an obvious dumb move is made by these guys sometimes. there were so many others who we could haver ditched instead
    DK, here's what pisses me off. They sign Jamie Henderson- Henderson will be waived and placed on the non-football injury list, meaning the Jets are not required to pay his $455,000 salary this season. But agent Pat Dye Jr. said the team has agreed to pay Henderson "a significant amount" as a good-faith gesture. The undisclosed amount will count on the team's salary cap. He will earn $540,000 if he plays in 2005.

So you know the Jets are gonna suit this guy up in 2005, right? Because if they don't, this PR stunt will blow up in their face, and as we all know with Bradway and Herm, image is everything.

Look, I feel bad for any young man who fractures his skull racing around on a rice rocket. I really do. But you know, this guy played a total of maybe 10 minutes for the Jets in 3 years on the roster. He didn't even get his Andy Warhol 15 minutes.

Matt Walters is a 2nd string DE who played in 10 or 11 games last season. He was an asset to this team.

So Herm keeps two 3rd string safeties who will never, ever see the field, and cuts Walters?

How much was Walter gonna make this year? A tenth of what the Jets pay Bryan Thomas?

What a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    agreed. who was jamie henderson anyway? this guy didnt show any flashes of brilliance ever.

plus hes broken up

plus walters position was more important than hendersons

bah ive had enough bradway made so many smart moves this season i dont want to harp on walters but still what the hell is going on

JetsInsider.com Legend
    what all you guys are missing is two things

1) the emergance of Trevor Johnson (*who is faster*)

2) Walters did not sign a long term deal. He was set to go into the last year of his contract, a 2 year deal.

Yes he's a contributor but what do the JETS get out of the situation by cutting a faster, younger player who is signed on the cheap for 4 seasons (maybe longer), for Matt Walters a guy who by virtue of his own negotiations could not be in the long term plans.

cutting Thomas makes little sense cause he had like 70 tackles and a bunch of hurries last year. people talk mad s**t about BT but let's be real that's alot more production than Walters...

Walters and his Miami agent made life difficult for the front office last year by insisting on a 2 year deal. This year they give it back to Walters by cutting him outright.

lets not mince words, Walters is ok but his upside is at best a Chad Braske run stopper type. Trevor has a higher upside due to speed, plus he's cheaper and younger.

oh yeah and Jamie Henderson is irrelivant to the convo cause he does not count against the cap as long as he is PUP... which is probably forever.

All Pro
    I liked Walters. But as it is stated above, Cheaper, Faster, Longer term for Trevor is the issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And our Boy Trevor used to be a TE!!

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/displa...7/3cbcf311d4434

Veteran
    bit nailed it, walters screwed himself by going for a 2yr contract. Jets will have enough free agents to deal with (ellis, abe, mckenzie, lamont, becht) at the end of the year. It would have made more sense to keep him, but I think they wanted to get back at him for insisting on a 2yr contract, johnson cna prob fill his spot and he's signed for a few more years.

All League
    So glad Jason "Do Nothing" Ferguson is back, Bryan Thomas is trying out new positions and Allan Harper made the PS. Worrying about 2 year deals for guys on the margin of the roster like Walters is pretty silly when they can play. How much would he cost anyway-a bit above minimum? This sounds like the FO overthinking things.

Bryan Thomas-overpaid dumbass zero from a small school. who does nothing.

Matt Walters-smart guy form a top program who plays well every time he's on the field.

This is a even a decision? Cut Thomas, and you send a serious message-nonhackers not welcome. projet my ass-Thomas is a BUST. Walters can play.

A mistake.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by Bugg@Sep 6 2004, 07:48 PM
    Bryan Thomas-overpaid dumbass zero from a small school. who does nothing.

Matt Walters-smart guy form a top program who plays well every time he's on the field.
    Bugg how many tackles did BT have last year? how many tackles did Walters have last year?

beside you guys want to make it something personal, Walters screwed the JETS when he only agreed to a 2 year deal now the Jets had no choice but to screw him back.

Veteran
    I think it's a good sign when the biggest complaints on the board are about backup players being cut and which practice squad players are signed. Hopefully this means everything else is great .

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by bitonti@Sep 6 2004, 06:14 PM
    lets not mince words, Walters is ok but his upside is at best a Chad Braske run stopper type.
    Yup. Don't need any "run stopper types" on this team. Nosiree, Bub.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by nyjet80@Sep 6 2004, 08:37 PM
    I think it's a good sign when the biggest complaints on the board are about backup players being cut and which practice squad players are signed. Hopefully this means everything else is great .
    I hear ya.

This team isn't gonna fall apart 'cos Matt Walters got cut, but then again, I don't think it was going to fall apart if they cut Derek Pagel, either.

Here's to John Abraham playing in 16 games this year.

Hall Of Fame
    It was either Thomas, Walters, or Johnson. You cant keep 5 DE's on a roster because only 2 play.

Thomas, as much as you want to say hes a bust, he has too much potential to contribute to the team to be cut. And lets face it, when he was in the game last year, he wasnt THAT bad. He wasnt an Abraham, but those players are a dime a dozen.

Walters, in a contract year, wasnt going to keep him anyway after this year, but has been a solid backup, but thats all hes ever going to be.

Johnson, A faster Walters with a longer contract.

Personally i would have cut Johnson, PS for a year, then have him be the #4 DE next year, but i wasnt at the practices so who knows.

As for cutting Pagel to keep a 5th DE. Do you feel comfterable with Tongue, Coleman, Washington being our entire safteys week one if McGraw doesnt play?? I dont. Id rather have Pagel around.

All League
    Bit-

Point taken. All of these guys are peripheral. It's just a shame that Thomas, a top pick, is now clearly in that group as well. The Jets weren't going to rise or fall due to Matt Walters.

I don't know how much potential Thomas has when instead of being the speed rushing end he was drafted as, they're looking to find something for him to do to justify his roster spot.