Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Smart

Practice Squad
    Has he found a team yet? I thought we were likely bringing him back to the PS?

What's the deal?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by psalty14@Sep 7 2004, 12:52 PM
    Has he found a team yet? I thought we were likely bringing him back to the PS?

What's the deal?
    he'll try again next year and probably play some NFLE

All League
    according to JC, says Westhoff wanted to keep him.....hmmmmm

Practice Squad
    I was really pulling for Smart. I knew he wouldn't get a spot above Reese but I figured if they made a move with Lamont, he'd make it - 3rd string or somewhere else. I hope nothing but good things for him, but as much as I hope he is picked up by another team, it would be great if we had him for next year.

Rookie
    Originally posted by R. Tyme@Sep 7 2004, 01:36 PM
    according to JC, says Westhoff wanted to keep him.....hmmmmm
    The Jets still have one practise squad spot open.....

Veteran
    The Jets still have one practise squad spot open.....
    I was thinking the same thing.

Rookie
    I've said this before and will reiterate:

This is one great guy. All the hardships he went through, still persevering and getting better and better is very admirable. I went to Post when he was there and worked out in the gym when he had work study there. Always the nicest kid; never talked about his accomplishments or how he was great; hardly talked about football even. I didn't even know how good he was, or any of his story until after I was gone. He always seemed very greatful for everything he has. As far as his game, anyone who watched him this season compared to last would notice night and day. Much quicker, stronger, and decisive.

Anyways, best to Ian. He'll get to where he wants to be and he'll deserve it when he does.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sorry, but if it comes down to Ian Smart or Dominguez for the last practice squad spot, I am taking Dominguez 10 times out of 10 (although I've heard he isn't eligible, anyone have info on that???).

I am sure Ian is a wonderful person and a great story. But this isn't storytime, it's football, and we need to keep the best players we can. If it's Smart vs. Dominguez, Dominguez wins. Smart is a smallish RB who simply doesn't have the talent to succeed in the NFL at RB. And sorry, but he is an average KR at best, and we have Moss, JMac & Carter all ahead of him (plus Jordan on kickoffs). Dominguez has the potential to be a great #3 WR/Posession WR for Chad down the road.

All great stories aside.....do any of you really think Smart will ever develop into anything more than a #3 Running Back/Average Kick Returner??

Rookie
    There won't be another WR on the PS

Veteran
    Ian Smart has fumbled in front of a few thousand people on a clear, windless day in NFL Europe.

I know how I'd feel about him returning punts in front of sixty thousand jeering fans inside the two minute warning in a real NFL game - as nervous as him.

There are people more deserving of a place on the roster returning punts than Ian Smart - heck, wherever Craig Yeast ended up, I'd take him back in a flash over Smart every time.

He's just not worth the experiment.

Rookie
    Maybe they are waiting for Mickens MRI - if he is out for the season?? then they can sign Smart to the roster. Or am I dilusional

Veteran
    Yes

Veteran
    I am taking Dominguez
    Not PS eligable.

All League
    Originally posted by Warfish@Sep 7 2004, 03:08 PM
    Sorry, but if it comes down to Ian Smart or Dominguez for the last practice squad spot, I am taking Dominguez 10 times out of 10 (although I've heard he isn't eligible, anyone have info on that???).

I am sure Ian is a wonderful person and a great story. But this isn't storytime, it's football, and we need to keep the best players we can. If it's Smart vs. Dominguez, Dominguez wins. Smart is a smallish RB who simply doesn't have the talent to succeed in the NFL at RB. And sorry, but he is an average KR at best, and we have Moss, JMac & Carter all ahead of him (plus Jordan on kickoffs). Dominguez has the potential to be a great #3 WR/Posession WR for Chad down the road.

All great stories aside.....do any of you really think Smart will ever develop into anything more than a #3 Running Back/Average Kick Returner??
    Well it may be football and not "storytime" but it's not fantasy football either. These aren't images in a video game. These are players with hopes and dreams like everyone else, not robots. Let's try and keep some humanity in sports-- players we can be proud of and local ones that made it and kids can look up to.
    Ian is a great guy and a hardworking player. I wish him nothing but the best.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    call me crazy but Ian Smart could be a better KR than Jon Carter

Carter is faster but Ian finds the holes...

Originally posted by bitonti@Sep 8 2004, 12:18 PM

ESPECIALLY under Mike Westhoff....he can turn Ok into WOW!

All League
    Originally posted by bitonti@Sep 8 2004, 12:18 PM

as much as I like Carter, he's got match-stick legs and seems to be injury-prone
    Westhoff liked Smart

All League
    Ian Smart is the type of guy if not with us with another team that I want to see make it- small school in CW Post that is overlooked -undrafted free agent
    Maybe he will get placed on a practice squad roster after first week schedule based on injury situations around the league.

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti@Sep 8 2004, 11:18 AM

Give me the faster guy in this case. If Carter gets into the clear, even for a moment, he's gone. Sort of like Hall of the cheifs. Give him a slight opening, and he breaks away.

Of course Hall seems to know where to find these openings. Carter is not in his class yet.

All Pro
    Originally posted by mbn007+Sep 8 2004, 12:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Sep 8 2004, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitonti@Sep 8 2004, 11:18 AM

Give me the faster guy in this case. If Carter gets into the clear, even for a moment, he&#39;s gone. Sort of like Hall of the cheifs. Give him a slight opening, and he breaks away.

Of course Hall seems to know where to find these openings. Carter is not in his class yet. [/b][/quote]
    Carter just needs to stay on the field. He found the hole when he was given the opportunity and then he got hurt. He is brittle and until he finds a way around that we better not lose Smart&#39;s phone number.