Thread: Pledge your allegiance - Join me

Practice Squad
    This is a republishing of an old post, with some additions. It's appropriate as a new season is about to begin.

Today, I pledge my loyal allegiance to my JETS. I am 50 years old (next month), and have taken alot of kidding, abuse, ribbing, and sometimes painful insults over the years. I loyally wear my colors for every game. I have suffered thru losing season after losing season. I have watched friends and neighbors celebrate Super Bowl victories and parties for the Giants, while quietly sitting and hoping that someday it would be my turn. Well, my turn has never come.

I still hang on to my memories as a child of watching Joe Willie run off the field with his finger held high. My dad let me have my first drink of champagne that night, as a 14 yr old, and oh, how I remember it so well.

How close we were in 1982, only to lose 14-0 in the mud bowl. The following day, I brought my newborn son home from the hospital. He is now a loyal jets fan (JI member J E T S JetsJetsJets).

I'm still waiting for my turn.

When my second son was born a few years later in 1986, he was named Todd (Who was our quarterback then???). I then watched later that year, as we got off to a 10-0 start (I may be wrong on that one, but forgive me), only to finish up 10-6, as watch as good old #99 commits the dumbest penalty in Jets history, forcing overtime and an eventual Jets loss. To make matters worse, I had to endure watching the hated Giants go on to the SB. No party for me.

I cried when Raul Allegre hit that FG in 91 to put us into the playoffs. My sons got their first taste of the pain, as we were totally beaten in a playoff game in Houston. I bet alot of you forgot that one!!

I suffered the shame of the Walton and Kotite years.

I felt as if it was all going to come true in 98, and when Blake Spence blocked that punt, my sons and I jumped for joy and shed tears. We actually were heading to the SB!! Well, of course that didnt happen either.

I got tickets to the final game in Baltimore in 2000, hoping to celebrate a playoff spot, and after a 14-0 lead, that turned out to be the longest drive home on XMAS eve, that i can ever remember.

In 2002, we had a chance, and when a small Jet miracle came thru as Vinaterri beat Miami, and we beat GB, the dream was alive.

Does anyone think that I will stop loving my team???

NEVER

Someday my turn will come, and I will savor it for my entire life.

These are my JETS and your JETS, and every loyal fan's JETS.

Stay the course. When the dream comes true, only the real fans will share in the joy.

I dont want any phony fans to share it. It will be for only the true fans, who have stayed the course.

JETSFANNF

IS THIS OUR YEAR????? You bet it is!!!!!!!!!&#3 3;!!

I PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE

Veteran
    Amen brother. Count me in. I pledge my allegiance to the NY Jets!!! Bleed Green biiiaaaatttchhh!

Me too.

Well stated. I don't go back to Namath, but from the Todd years and on I share the same sentiments. Our time will come one day and it will be glorious!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

...nice post NF ...

...i didn't get to see it last year...

...brought a light mist to my eyes reading it...

fyi though...
    ...'86 kenny o was the qb ... it was the '81 &'82 years that richard todd was there ...
    ... in '86 it was a 10-1 start ...

... it was that '81 playoff game against the bills at shea that was my first live game...

...my father stuck the tickets in a little box under the christmas tree at the end and told me i'd missed a gift ... i was 10 years old... to this day the best gift i ever received...

Postseason
    AFC Wildcard Game: lost 27 - 31 vs. Buffalo Bills

...i still remember that stadium rocking as todd was driving us down the field in the cold ... coming back on 2 td drives & then the pick at the goal line to end in heart-break as time ran out...

...somehow it seems like they've played variations on this theme since... i wasn't around to enjoy the superbowl ...

...don't forget the high's along the way as well... in 2002 when new england made that kick ... the stadium ... how it erupted...

...the monday night miracle...

...in '86 that wild card dismantling of the chiefs...

...in '98 the divisional round game against the jags ... i remember going to the bathroom just before half knowing our lead was safe & coming back to my seat ... the jags just did what ??? ???

...that total domination of the colts in '02...

...the touches of ecstacy thrown in to counteract our diet of agony as game by game season by season we ride together on the backs of these green & white sado-masochistic warriors...

Does anyone think that I will stop loving my team???

NEVER

Someday my turn will come, and I will savor it for my entire life.

These are my JETS and your JETS, and every loyal fan's JETS.

Stay the course. When the dream comes true, only the real fans will share in the joy.

I dont want any phony fans to share it. It will be for only the true fans, who have stayed the course.

...thank you for the smile to my face you brought reading your post...

...i'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to repost it again next season...

...i'm sure you'll come up with something poetic and creative about repeating ...

l_j_r

I PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE