Thread: Wannstedt palns on rotating QBs all season

Hall Of Fame
    This will ultimately be his undoing and will surely blow up in his face

Posted on Thu, Sep. 16, 2004

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Wannstedt plans to start both QBs

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE

asalguero@herald.com

Perhaps the reason Dave Wannstedt has declined to give either of his starting quarterbacks a season-long endorsement is because he is planning to start each at different times this year.

The weekly matchup will decide the starting quarterback -- unless one player improves so much, he becomes the clear choice.

'I called Bill Parcells and he told me, `You gotta do whatever you need to do every week in this league to win,' '' Wannstedt told Sports Illustrated. ``This will give us the best chance.''

Wannstedt said Wednesday not to read too much into the SI comments and instead concentrated on what his public stance has been since the start of the season. What is that stance?

''We've got to focus and take in each game and make each game a life of its own, a battle of its own that we have to line up with and do whatever we can as a team to try to win this week, that's what we have to do -- at every position,'' Wannstedt has said.

That clearly is not what Miami players want. Several, including tight end Randy McMichael and receiver Derrius Thompson, believe the coach should pick a quarterback and stick with him.

McMichael said Wednesday that alternating starters, ''can destroy offensive chemistry.'' Neither Jay Fiedler nor A.J. Feeley is exactly thrilled about the musical quarterbacks situation, either.

''It's kind of one of those things where we're here at this point right now and we have one guy playing this week,'' Feeley said Wednesday. ``That's how you have to approach it . . . I guess the past would show that the one-quarterback system works best.''

RICKY HEARING SET

Retired running back Ricky Williams will have a hearing Tuesday against the Dolphins to determine if he must pay the $8.6 million they claim he owes.

NFL Players Association attorney Richard Berthelsen said Wednesday he will be in Miami to argue on Williams' behalf against attorneys from the NFL. The hearing will be in front of arbitrator Richard Bloch. There likely will not be a decision that day.

• A limited number of tickets have become available for each of the Dolphins' next two home games, on Sept. 26 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oct. 3 versus the New York Jets.

• Linebacker Corey Jenkins, cut Tuesday, was claimed by Chicago.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

if he coaches next year huizienga is crazy!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think he is making a smart move by doing this. With all the problems the Blowfish have this year, he knows that game planning against his team should not be difficult. By making the other teams wonder which QB they will be facing, he is making it tougher for the other coaches to game plan.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetman67@Sep 16 2004, 09:13 AM
    I think he is making a smart move by doing this. With all the problems the Blowfish have this year, he knows that game planning against his team should not be difficult. By making the other teams wonder which QB they will be facing, he is making it tougher for the other coaches to game plan.
    true!!

Charter JI Member
    As bad as i think Wanny is, he situation this season is ridiculous, he doesn't stand a chance....and that may save his job.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetswin@Sep 16 2004, 09:15 AM
    As bad as i think Wanny is, he situation this season is ridiculous, he doesn't stand a chance....and that may save his job.
    nothing should save his job........hes was pushed out of chicago for the same reasons.... needs to go

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by LockeJET+Sep 16 2004, 08:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LockeJET @ Sep 16 2004, 08:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67@Sep 16 2004, 09:13 AM
    true&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    guys....that would hold a bit of water if he didn&#39;t announce who will start each week

BUT HE IS ANNOUNCING EACH MONDAY, we all know that it is Feeley&#39;s turn by Monday we will know who starts next week, he&#39;s not using this as a stealth manuever, you give him way too much credit, if he were being stealth he would never be STUPID enough to tell you ahead taht he will change QB&#39;s

the guy is just a dumbass :lol:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Sep 16 2004, 12:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Sep 16 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by LockeJET@Sep 16 2004, 08:14 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67
    @Sep 16 2004, 09:13 AM

true&#33;&#33;
    guys....that would hold a bit of water if he didn&#39;t announce who will start each week

BUT HE IS ANNOUNCING EACH MONDAY, we all know that it is Feeley&#39;s turn by Monday we will know who starts next week, he&#39;s not using this as a stealth manuever, you give him way too much credit, if he were being stealth he would never be STUPID enough to tell you ahead taht he will change QB&#39;s

the guy is just a dumbass :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but it also doesn&#39;t give the offense a chance to establish some rythym.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by petejet+Sep 16 2004, 08:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (petejet @ Sep 16 2004, 08:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Sep 16 2004, 12:24 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67

true&#33;&#33;

the guy is just a dumbass :lol:
    Yeah, but it also doesn&#39;t give the offense a chance to establish some rythym. [/b][/quote]
    bingo

Maxman
    Ham wanted to name the Jets OL. I say the Dolphins do the same thing for their QB position. My suggestion:

Dumb and Dumber.

Rookie
    This ain&#39;t college footbal and he isn&#39;t coaching the GATORS. Geesh, everything is gonna self destruct for this guy this year. Rotating QB&#39;s did not work for Spurrier in the NFL, it certainly not going to work for Wanny&#33;

I am loving it&#33;

Maxman
    The old saying is true...if you have 2 Quarterbacks, you don&#39;t have any quarterbacks.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Maxman@Sep 16 2004, 09:24 AM
    The old saying is true...if you have 2 Quarterbacks, you don&#39;t have any quarterbacks.
    maybe thats why we keep BB around just to make sure we only have 1 QB

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Sep 16 2004, 08:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Sep 16 2004, 08:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67

true&#33;&#33;

the guy is just a dumbass :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Agreed MBG... this would work better if he didn&#39;t announce it before the game.
    Either way, Miami has always needed a good runner, and they have never been great without one. A stout runner always makes up for a mediocre QB, and the Phins ain&#39;t got one.

Freeley (or is it Feeley) or Fiedler, neither of them can win a game without a good runner behind them.

They have not drafted a good runner since Overstreet, and not even the prolific passer known as Marino could get them a ring. I sincerely doubt Fiedler or Freeley (sp) will fair better than Big Dan did. The only team the Phins have a chance to look great against this season is the JETS and that is only because we historically tend to make them look better than they are.

I do agree that you do what you gotta do week to week to win, but I do not think musical qb&#39;s is ever a good idea.

Veteran
    Scary what is happening down in Florida these days.
    With that said, I just booked my trip for OCT 3rd.

All League
    I think at this point Wanny wants to get fired. It is probably the dumbest thing I have heard all year.

Yeah, so just as one QB is feeling good, doing a good job, put in another cold QB. Yeah... that will win games&#33;&#33;

The Dolphins organization is about as done as it could be. Time to burn down the house and start again ala the Giants.

BZ

Hall Of Fame
    I really want to know what he means by each game is different and we will decide which QB will do better

so if one team gets beat deep you put the QB with the stronger arm??

and if one team is soft in the flat you put teh weaker armed QB???

this is ridiculous

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I can&#39;t pretend to even care what The Fish do. I am only concerned with my team but Wanny is off his wagon. Pick a guy and stick with him. This isn&#39;t the preseason and you are not LSU. Rotating The QB&#39;s?????????????????? That&#39;s just sad.

So if Feely goes out and throws for 250 yards this week and 2 scores, Fiedler gets the start in week 3 because Pittsburgh&#39;s secondary struggles with QB&#39;s who have mobility.

Just start Feely and let him play. Why not pickup a 4th QB wanny? This way, Jay could play the 1st quarter, Feely would get the 2nd, Rosenfels could play the 3rd quarter and Tim Couch can finish up in the 4th.

Fiedler will play on 3rd and short plays because he can scramble, Rosenfels will play on all screen plays, Feely will play on all 3rd and longs because of his arm strength. You can really confuse teams by putting 3 QB&#39;s in the huddle. Teams won&#39;t know who to gameplan for and you could lineup Sage, A.J. and Fiedler in the backfield at the same time, You can run HB option plays.

Banned
    it is a little nuts to try this, but what does he have to lose? as of now, the team is in shambles anyway...if he was smart he wouldn&#39;t announce it at all and just throw one...but announcing them makes any scenario about suprising people go out the window...

Undrafted Free Agent
    God I hope Heizinga gives him Wanny a pass for this year due to all the external turmoil. It would be a nice early Christmas present. Hell, give him a lifetime contract.