Thread: The Best Show on TV....

All League
    Sunday night, HBO - The Wire

Season Three kicks off this weekend, can't friggin' wait!! Anyone else here love this show? If you haven't watched this show yet, check it out. Great characters, awesome stories (although ones that you actually have to pay attention to) - it's got it all. Jimmy McNulty is one of the best TV characters I've ever seen, and Omar might be the best bit-part also. Bunk, Herc, Carver, Stringer Bell, Barksdale, Bubbles, Lester, Prezbyluski(sp?), Kima - who on this show isn't great?

Rookie
    I watched the first season, when no one was into it. I was brought in to it more with the characters:

Omar "Fourshaw"
    Stringer
    Proposition Joe.

I am not a real fan of Mcnaulties, but I do like the captian a lot.

I want to see Avon and Omar get Stringer badly specialy after what they did to Avon's cousin.

And I think Brother Musaw will definitely play a part. I dug the way he did Method man.

The show is hot.

Hall Of Fame
    i posted a thread on this earlier in the week

I'm psyched, cant wait

incredible show and character development as well

the new writers this season will take this show over the top, on a side note...

season 1 is now available on DVD $70 on amazon

All League
    Yeah man I love this show. Thought last season could have been a little better...but now they are back in the "hood" so it should be great.

Wow...Saturday the fight
    Sunday...FOOTBALL!!!!
    Sunday Night....The Wire
    Monday...back to work wanting to stab myself :o

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Chase@Sep 17 2004, 11:32 AM
    Yeah man I love this show. Thought last season could have been a little better...but now they are back in the "hood" so it should be great.

Wow...Saturday the fight
    Sunday...FOOTBALL!!!!
    Sunday Night....The Wire
    that about sums up my weekend too

but I prefer hanging myself on monday

All League
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Sep 17 2004, 11:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green &#064; Sep 17 2004, 11:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Chase@Sep 17 2004, 11:32 AM

Wow...Saturday the fight
    Sunday...FOOTBALL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Sunday Night....The Wire

but I prefer hanging myself on monday[/b][/quote]
    You should at least wait until Tuesday morning to stab/hang yourselves - after all that Eagles/Vikes Monday Night Football game should be worth watching, no? B)

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by edcopp+Sep 17 2004, 11:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (edcopp @ Sep 17 2004, 11:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Sep 17 2004, 11:34 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Chase
    @Sep 17 2004, 11:32 AM

Wow...Saturday the fight
    Sunday...FOOTBALL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Sunday Night....The Wire

but I prefer hanging myself on monday
    You should at least wait until Tuesday morning to stab/hang yourselves - after all that Eagles/Vikes Monday Night Football game should be worth watching, no? B) [/b][/quote]
    good point but that game is only there if I can make it through mon moring at work <_<

Veteran
    Here we go again with these misleading subject topics....Different Strokes was the best tv show, when the comes back to tv, you let me know...

All League
    What U talkin bout Mathis?????

Few HBO notes. The Wire is top shelf. Lot of criptic reviews on what this season is about. I have read nothing that gives me an answer?
    Enterouage 2nd season is believe it or not...March 2005.
    HBO 2, I believe I saw starting Sept 27th, every night Sopranos seasons 1-4 will be re-broadcast

Rookie
    Without a doubt, the best show on TV is The Wire.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by 4th&Long@Sep 17 2004, 12:20 PM
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as much of a huge Wire fan I have been from day 1 I have to say its still remarkably close between The Wire and The Shield though

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Jim 325@Sep 17 2004, 12:20 PM
    Few HBO notes. The Wire is top shelf. Lot of criptic reviews on what this season is about. I have read nothing that gives me an answer?
    HBO 2, I believe I saw starting Sept 27th, every night Sopranos seasons 1-4 will be re-broadcast
    ask and you shall receive my friend

Nuanced &#39;Wire&#39; begins explosive third season

September 17, 2004
    BY MIKE DUFFY
    FREE PRESS TV CRITIC

Patience is much more than a virtue if you&#39;re watching "The Wire."

It&#39;s an absolute necessity. Because if you do that rare TV thing of actually paying close attention, HBO&#39;s complex, richly detailed crime drama will sweep you away like a fine novel.

The show&#39;s uniquely layered, deliberate pace and emotionally nuanced storytelling are what make "The Wire" so quietly compelling.

It&#39;s also why this very intelligent series -- returning for a third season at 10 p.m. Sunday on HBO -- has never generated the pop culture buzz or viewership of "The Sopranos," "Sex and the City" or "Six Feet Under."

But credit HBO for wisely sticking with "The Wire." It&#39;s a vivid, tragedy-laced urban portrait of crime, government corruption and bitter office politics set against the anguished backdrop of Baltimore&#39;s deadly inner city drug trade.

The series is the creation of David Simon, a former Baltimore newspaper reporter whose book "Homicide: A Year on the Streets" was transformed into the classic NBC police procedural "Homicide: Life on the Streets."

"The Wire" -- with street smart detectives played by Dominic West and Sonja Sohn at the head of a superb ensemble cast -- works similar turf with an even more artful touch. The series evocatively captures the tangled tango of amoral police bureaucrats, embattled cops and shrewdly ruthless drug dealers with rare imagination and haunting precision.

As the new season opens, the notorious Franklin Terrace public housing towers are being explosively demolished to much fanfare by reform-minded community leaders.

Now the Barksdale drug crew -- run by business-savvy Stinger Bell (Idris Elba) while kingpin Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris) is stuck prison awaiting parole -- will have to find a new home on the mean street corners of West Baltimore.

And with Mayor Clarence Royce (Glynn Turman) facing re-election in the coming year, he&#39;s exerting heavy pressure on top cop Ervin Burrell (Frankie Faison) to bring crime stats way down, especially homicides. All of which may involve a bit of creative arithmetic.

Perhaps "The Wire" just wasn&#39;t made for these short attention span times.

But those patient viewers who have been put under its dark, beguiling spell, well, they&#39;re hooked. And they crave another season of sinuously memorable, understated crime drama excellence.

Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Sep 17 2004, 12:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Sep 17 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jim 325@Sep 17 2004, 12:20 PM
    ask and you shall receive my friend

Nuanced &#39;Wire&#39; begins explosive third season

September 17, 2004
    BY MIKE DUFFY
    FREE PRESS TV CRITIC

Patience is much more than a virtue if you&#39;re watching "The Wire."

It&#39;s an absolute necessity. Because if you do that rare TV thing of actually paying close attention, HBO&#39;s complex, richly detailed crime drama will sweep you away like a fine novel.

The show&#39;s uniquely layered, deliberate pace and emotionally nuanced storytelling are what make "The Wire" so quietly compelling.

It&#39;s also why this very intelligent series -- returning for a third season at 10 p.m. Sunday on HBO -- has never generated the pop culture buzz or viewership of "The Sopranos," "Sex and the City" or "Six Feet Under."

But credit HBO for wisely sticking with "The Wire." It&#39;s a vivid, tragedy-laced urban portrait of crime, government corruption and bitter office politics set against the anguished backdrop of Baltimore&#39;s deadly inner city drug trade.

The series is the creation of David Simon, a former Baltimore newspaper reporter whose book "Homicide: A Year on the Streets" was transformed into the classic NBC police procedural "Homicide: Life on the Streets."

"The Wire" -- with street smart detectives played by Dominic West and Sonja Sohn at the head of a superb ensemble cast -- works similar turf with an even more artful touch. The series evocatively captures the tangled tango of amoral police bureaucrats, embattled cops and shrewdly ruthless drug dealers with rare imagination and haunting precision.

As the new season opens, the notorious Franklin Terrace public housing towers are being explosively demolished to much fanfare by reform-minded community leaders.

Now the Barksdale drug crew -- run by business-savvy Stinger Bell (Idris Elba) while kingpin Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris) is stuck prison awaiting parole -- will have to find a new home on the mean street corners of West Baltimore.

And with Mayor Clarence Royce (Glynn Turman) facing re-election in the coming year, he&#39;s exerting heavy pressure on top cop Ervin Burrell (Frankie Faison) to bring crime stats way down, especially homicides. All of which may involve a bit of creative arithmetic.

Perhaps "The Wire" just wasn&#39;t made for these short attention span times.

But those patient viewers who have been put under its dark, beguiling spell, well, they&#39;re hooked. And they crave another season of sinuously memorable, understated crime drama excellence.
    [/b][/quote]
    Thank you sir&#33; Now if you really want to be cutting edge admit you wathced "Oz"
    Especially the first season? You couldn&#39;t help feeling well "dirty" after watching. The whole Schillinger/Beecher saga @ the outset.

Hall Of Fame
    I just started working in corrections in 96 when OZ started, never missed an episode

Adibisi was my favorite, Beecher was a tragic storyline

All League
    You got me hopeful that a "Deadwood" marathon was forthcoming-no such luck. "The Sopranos" is going to be running every night on HBO at 9PM starting 9/27/04.

"The Wire" takes forever for anything to happen. And having seen long-term investigations up close, most of the stuff they investigate isn&#39;t all that interesting(to me anyway). been there, done that. The characters aren&#39;t interesting, either. I hate "Law&Order" too for most of the same reasons. But given how popular all this junk is, may be I&#39;m out of step.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Sep 17 2004, 12:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Sep 17 2004, 12:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th&Long@Sep 17 2004, 12:20 PM
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as much of a huge Wire fan I have been from day 1 I have to say its still remarkably close between The Wire and The Shield though [/b][/quote]
    I love The Shield too, but The Wire is just mesmerizing to me. How everything unravels slowly and connections are revealed. Its like reading a great novel. They have 3 of the best Crime Fiction novelists writing eps this season, Pelecanos, Lehane, and Richard Price. Its going to be great.

Dont get me wrong, I love The Shield, but The Wire to me is what a show about cops should be. I was a huge, huge fan of Homicide too, so I guess I go for that kind of TV. Flawed characters fighting a war that cant be won and will never end.

The Shield is easier to watch as far as characters and storyline, but it veers close to the cop show formula with a shocking element.

If I was forced to rank I would put The Wire on the top, Sopranos at #2(I know I am going to get ripped), and The Shield right behind.

Law and Order cant hold a candle to either The Wire or The Shield. I am bored out by that show.

Practice Squad
    I loved season 1 of The Wire but season 2 didnt seem to go anywhere. It was a little too much going back and forth between the Russians, the union and the Bartsdale gang. Hopefully they go back to the season 1 formula that worked well.