Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Marino

Banned
    Dan Marino was the best passing QB who ever lived

I view Dan Marino the same way I viewed George Brett ... couldn't stomach the guy when he was making my life a living hell, but I knew the man epitomized greatness

There's simply no denying it ... the man was a GREAT, GREAT Quarterback

Nope, he never won the SB ... but that does not lessen this mans greatness in my eyes

I'll tell you what, if I'm building a football team and I can take any QB who ever lived, I'm takin Dan Marino ahead of any QB who has ever won the SB "not named" Joe Montana ... and the more I think about it, I might even take him over Montana as well

The guy was just an insane pocket passer ... insane ... out of this world, insane

Veteran
    I assume you just watched the hour-long documentary thingy on Marino on ESPN2, GJ&H? I hear ya though... if I'm starting a team, he's my QB. Just never had the right core around him when it counted.

Banned
    Originally posted by Jetsacuse@Sep 21 2004, 02:36 AM
    I assume you just watched the hour-long documentary thingy on Marino on ESPN2, GJ&H? I hear ya though... if I'm starting a team, he's my QB. Just never had the right core around him when it counted.
    You nailed it, cuse ... I was watching that awful reminder

I saw his whole career from beginning to end ... and this man tortured me like no other QB in my lifetime

All that show did was remind me of the torment ... but damn that SOB was great

Veteran
    The Fake Spike was my first real punch-in-the-gut awful sports loss. I was 11 at the time. He was unreal. You always knew the Dolphins had a chance when Marino had it in his hands. The only problem was, he had no RB to hand it off to. :lol:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Cirencester ENGLAND Capital of the Cotswolds
    I watched a similar thing about Elway. I think he just shades the team QB thing but I know what you mean.

Both were Winners in a big way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I've alway said Ham had we taken Marino instead of Kenny we would
    have had Company for our lone Trophy..But as Great as Dan was for
    a Pure Passer I go with Madden who thinks Namath was..With honorable
    mention to Sonny Jurgensen!!!

Originally posted by Dalco.uk@Sep 21 2004, 03:19 AM
    I watched a similar thing about Elway. I think he just shades the team QB thing but I know what you mean.

Actually Marino is one of the biggest losers in football history. Elway got to 4 Super Bowls, the first 2 with talent that was less or equal to that of Marino's Dolphins team. Elway was the winner, Marino was a loser.

Agreed Ham!
    and he was killer in that 2 minute offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I hate Marino!!! When he did that fake spike, I could feel him ripping my heart from my chest. After the 98 season I went to a autograph show and He was there. Some Jets Fans were doing the chant right behind him, and he told the worker next to him, If those Jets fans keep that Sh*t up, I'm out of here.

Marino is a cry baby!!!

If I were to see Dan Marino lying on the side of the road, I would pull over, Kick Him, then drive off.

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Sep 21 2004, 12:26 AM

The guy was just an insane pocket passer ... insane ... out of this world, insane
    "Crazy? Insane? Insane? Carzy?"
    Yeah, Marino was the man, but man cannot live on Duper and Clayton alone.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would take Montana, but that's no smack at Marino who tortured me and all of us old scholl Jets fans for what seemed like an eternity.

Elway
    Marino
    Montana

Take your pick. They were all beyond great.

For me it was Marino and Larry Bird that killed my 80's and Jordan killed my 90's.

Banned
    Originally posted by GreenSpleen+Sep 21 2004, 08:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenSpleen @ Sep 21 2004, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dalco.uk@Sep 21 2004, 03:19 AM

Actually Marino is one of the biggest losers in football history. Elway got to 4 Super Bowls, the first 2 with talent that was less or equal to that of Marino&#39;s Dolphins team. Elway was the winner, Marino was a loser. [/b][/quote]
    GS, I completely agree. Marino was the Devil.

LL

Originally posted by latinlawyer+Sep 21 2004, 09:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (latinlawyer &#064; Sep 21 2004, 09:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by GreenSpleen@Sep 21 2004, 08:52 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Dalco.uk
    @Sep 21 2004, 03:19 AM

Actually Marino is one of the biggest losers in football history. Elway got to 4 Super Bowls, the first 2 with talent that was less or equal to that of Marino&#39;s Dolphins team. Elway was the winner, Marino was a loser.
    GS, I completely agree. Marino was the Devil.

LL[/b][/quote]
    I agree that he&#39;s the Devil... BTW, a lot of people underestimate the Devil too...

Maxman
    I never thought Marino was a smart guy. And then he quit the Dolphins front office job.

And I knew he was smart. Smart to not be associated with that fiasco they call a franchise.

All Pro
    this would have been a perfecxt Marino season if he were still a Dolphin-No running game to speak of so it&#39;s all on his shoulders.If he had Ricky Williams RW would still be playing,and instead of complaining of overwork,he&#39;d be saying&#39;they NEED to give ME the ball"-great but self-ish SELF-ish

Veteran
    F Marino and this post.

Veteran
    I think Marino was one of the best passers of all time, but not necessarily best QBs of all time. To me, a QB must be more than an athlete...he has to make smart decisions and be the team&#39;s leader on the field. Marino would often overestimate his chances and make foolish play-calls in critical times, and how many times after a bad play did we see him balling out his O-line or barking at his recievers about a route they ran...I guess I don&#39;t see that as leading as much as blaming .

Who knows if he would have been better with a RB to help...probably.

Anyway, give me Elway, Montana, or Manning over Marino any day of the week.

To me it&#39;s like the difference between Vick and Pennington or Brady...athletically Vick kills them both, but in the end Brady & Pennington get the job done by focusing on their strengths as part of a team rather than trying to do it all with speed and a cannon arm.

Option C of course is to water down your schemes entirely to prop up the self-esteem of a washed up dinosaur only to fail miserably and flounder through succesive 3-13 seasons...that&#39;s Bledsoe&#39;s specialty...nobody&#39;s beating him at that. <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

Dolphin or not Marino was the best pure passer....suppose he had Ricky Williams to hand the ball to.

I still scratch my head to the fact that in all his years with the Dolphins they could not get him a top flight running back.

Originally posted by Buffboy@Sep 21 2004, 10:18 AM
    I think Marino was one of the best passers of all time, but not necessarily best QBs of all time. To me, a QB must be more than an athlete...he has to make smart decisions and be the team&#39;s leader on the field. Marino would often overestimate his chances and make foolish play-calls in critical times, and how many times after a bad play did we see him balling out his O-line or barking at his recievers about a route they ran...I guess I don&#39;t see that as leading as much as blaming .

Who knows if he would have been better with a RB to help...probably.

Anyway, give me Elway, Montana, or Manning over Marino any day of the week.

To me it&#39;s like the difference between Vick and Pennington or Brady...athletically Vick kills them both, but in the end Brady & Pennington get the job done by focusing on their strengths as part of a team rather than trying to do it all with speed and a cannon arm.

Option C of course is to water down your schemes entirely to prop up the self-esteem of a washed up dinosaur only to fail miserably and flounder through succesive 3-13 seasons...that&#39;s Bledsoe&#39;s specialty...nobody&#39;s beating him at that. <_<
    420 TD&#39;s
    252 Int&#39;s

Nine Pro Bowls...

Miami was 138 and 85 during his career...

Never had the great team around him. I hated the bastid, but he was on another level. More than just a HOF&#39;er.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I had some good things to say about Marino but then I got distracted by Vida&#39;s........ ass-ets.

Oh yeah....where was I?.......... Ummm........ Marino should have been a Jet from the get go. Oh well, That&#39;s ancient history. He was an amazing QB. Top three in my mind.

I&#39;d probably take Elway over Marino, Maybe it&#39;s personal preference. Elway had amazing arm strength, won the most games by any QB in NFL History, Was Mr. Clutch, Always came through in the end, was big, strong, smart, mobile, He had all the tools. Physically, There may not have been a better all around QB.

It was fun to watch Marino play though, He made some unbelievable throws. What an arm that guy had. I always had respect for him and still do.