Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets fill roster spot.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Jets sign Alan Harper to active roster from practice squad replacing Daleroy Stewart who was cut on Friday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I guess the Tuna was right..Just a big old passive appetite looking
    for a free Meal..

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

They also signed DT Tim McGill and re-signed WR Carl Kearney to the practice squad.

Here's the low down on McGill:

Tim McGill (6-2, 330 pounds) comes to the Jets from the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League. In 2004, McGill started 13-of-16 games and posted 11 tackles, one forced fumble, two passes defensed and one sack. In his 27-game career, McGill has totaled 24 tackles, one forced fumble, two passes defensed and three sacks.

Rookie
    Full article, for those who care:

Jets Activate DT Harper

New York City, NY- The New York Jets announced Monday they have signed defensive tackle Alan Harper to the active roster and wide receiver Carl Kearney and defensive tackle Tim McGill to the practice squad. The announcement was made by Jetsí Executive Vice President/General Manager Terry Bradway.

Alan Harper (6-1, 285 pounds) was selected by the Jets in the fourth round (121st overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. Harper played primarily on the Jetsí scout team during the 2002 and 2003 seasons and was allocated to NFL Europe in 2004. He posted 36 tackles and three sacks as a defensive tackle for the Scottish Claymores. Harper saw action in all four Jetsí 2004 preseason games and recorded nine tackles and a half sack.

Carl Kearney (6-1, 213 pounds) signed with the Jets as a rookie free agent from NCAA Division I-AA Georgia Southern. Kearney completed his collegiate career with 22 receptions for 457 yards (20.8 avg.) and two touchdowns and added 196 yards on 12 KOR, along with 37 special teams tackles. Kearney saw action in two preseason games for the Jets and recorded one special teams tackle at Indianapolis.

Tim McGill (6-2, 330 pounds) comes to the Jets from the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League. In 2004, McGill started 13-of-16 games and posted 11 tackles, one forced fumble, two passes defensed and one sack. In his 27-game career, McGill has totaled 24 tackles, one forced fumble, two passes defensed and three sacks.

The active roster currently stands at 53 players. This Sunday, October 3, 2004 the New York Jets (2-0) will travel to Miami (0-3) for a 4:15 pm kickoff and their first division game of the season.

All League
    This is Harper's chance to show something- he had good NFLE season. I would expect that we will need to rotate guys to keep them fresh if it is really hot on Sunday. For McGill i guess it never hurts to bring guys in with size in to take a look at them through the revolving practice squad.

Rookie
    are we to believe that they like Kearney? Its interesting that they brought him back...

TomShane
    Was Dorian Boose not available?

Veteran
    Dorian Boose? Wasn't that the name of the Villian in the movie "The Mask" ?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0338886/HH/...,%20Peter%20(I)

All League
    Nope it was the name of our Franchise DE we drafted a while back

WHat is our PS right now?

All Pro
    I am glad Harper is getting another chance. I thought he made a lot of progress this summer.

Veteran
    Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER@Sep 27 2004, 12:58 PM
    Jets sign Alan Harper to active roster from practice squad replacing Daleroy Stewart who was cut on Friday.
    Jets | Harper Signed - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:56:43 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the signing of DT Alan Harper. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Jets | Kearney Added to Practice Squad - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:56:18 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the signing of WR Carl Kearney to their practice squad.

Jets | McGill Added to Practice Squad - from www.KFFL.com
    Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:55:15 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the signing of DT Tim McGill to their practice squad.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by Brain Hemorrhage@Sep 27 2004, 02:18 PM
    WHat is our PS right now?
    Here is the Practice Squad roster as of today 9/27/04:

22 Davison, Andrew CB 5-11 185 27 3 Years Kansas
    15 Kearney, Carl WR 6-1 213 23 Rookie Georgia Southern
    95 McGill, Tim DT 6-2 330 25 Rookie Illinois
    14 Ray, Ricky QB 6-3 210 24 1 Year Sacramento State
    2 Stubbs, Terrence WR 5-11 190 24 Rookie Temple
    30 Ward, Derrick FB 5-11 233 24 Rookie Ottawa (KS)
    32 Weaver, Jerrell DB 6-2 206 23 Rookie Miami
    64 Yovanovits, Dave G 6-3 294 23 2 Years Temple

And thanks Foxjet, on top of the News and ahead of the Times as usual. Nice to see you and Baumer back from San Diego.

All Pro
    Originally posted by No1JetFan@Sep 27 2004, 12:13 PM
    are we to believe that they like Kearney? Its interesting that they brought him back...
    Kearney could have piqued the Jets interest as a project. He's a good athlete, with a fine size/speed ratio. He came out of a college which almost never threw the ball, which explains his low catch numbers from college. He interested the Jets originally as an excellent special teams prospect. He did make some nice catches in camp, from what I remember reading. The Jets clearly think he has some potential, but he is a long-term project at WR.

Rookie
    Originally posted by mrcoops+Sep 27 2004, 01:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrcoops &#064; Sep 27 2004, 01:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-No1JetFan@Sep 27 2004, 12:13 PM
    Kearney could have piqued the Jets interest as a project. He&#39;s a good athlete, with a fine size/speed ratio. He came out of a college which almost never threw the ball, which explains his low catch numbers from college. He interested the Jets originally as an excellent special teams prospect. He did make some nice catches in camp, from what I remember reading. The Jets clearly think he has some potential, but he is a long-term project at WR. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks. i was wondering because I saw Kearney drop a good deal of balls in the preseason games and at camp, and hoping and guessing someone else saw more out of him or knew otherwise of him.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Sep 27 2004, 05:52 PM
    Coops is correct, Kearney is seen by NFL people as a "special teams demon". Him and WR/S Tom Crowder (Dallas p-squad), where seen as the 2 premier special teams coverage players that went undrafted.

Showing how difficult it is to make an NFL roster on special teams alone, neither made there respective team this summer.....

Both are very fast (both in 4.36 40 area) and will almost certainly be sent to NFL Europe to learn to play WR for 1 or 2 seasons.

Kearney played at Georgia Southern and hardly ever saw the ball at WR. He&#39;s definitely a longshot at WR.
    Interesting our 2 ST UDFA pick-ups (Kearney and Weaver) don&#39;t make the team, while the STs are struggling. Thanks for the answers guys. I hadn&#39;t seen much from him, so I was questioning this.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Sep 27 2004, 06:52 PM
    Coops is correct, Kearney is seen by NFL people as a "special teams demon". Him and WR/S Tom Crowder (Dallas p-squad), where seen as the 2 premier special teams coverage players that went undrafted.

Showing how difficult it is to make an NFL roster on special teams alone, neither made there respective team this summer.....

Both are very fast (both in 4.36 40 area) and will almost certainly be sent to NFL Europe to learn to play WR for 1 or 2 seasons.

Kearney played at Georgia Southern and hardly ever saw the ball at WR. He&#39;s definitely a longshot at WR.
    Rigs,

Isn&#39;t it interesting that more teams don&#39;t take chances on keeping around practice-squad only guys? You look at the successes that teams have had with Steve Tasker, Reyna Thompson, and David Tyree. Those guys will make 2-3 plays a year that win games, more than you could say for a 5th WR or 4th RB.

absolutely useless. Harper doesnt even play special teams. I cant believe Evans got hurt , but Harper blows.

All League
    TS, it&#39;s hard to believe more rookies that fit the special teams mode don&#39;t make teams. I think the problem is teams can only suit up 47 players per week. After you factor in 2 extra QB&#39;s, a kicker, punter and longsnapper, things get a bit tight, as those players (2QB&#39;s, P, K and LS) bring no versatility.

That means you&#39;ve basically got to have all your special teamers ready to play offense or defense. Very few Larry Izzo and Alex Bannister (WR-Seattle) types stick these days (just special teamers).

Players like Kearney and McGlover also needed to produce big things in pre-season on special teams just to get a shot and both came up short.

But you are correct, I was expecting some of these rookies to make teams this summer, after the media pumped them up, but the practice squad seemed to be as far as they got.

Solution: Allow all 53 players to dress for games. This inactive garbage makes ZERO sense. Teams are paying 53 men every week, so why have inactives? :wacko:

P.S: Tasker, Jim Kelly always used to say, was a great practice WR, wasted only on special teams.....Kelly was proven correct, as Tasker had some big games as a WR at the end of his career. I think he had a 160 yard game versus the Jets in the Kottite era....What a waste, until he was like 33 years old, he never even lined up at WR :o

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rs/TaskSt00.htm

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Originally posted by No1JetFan+Sep 27 2004, 07:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (No1JetFan @ Sep 27 2004, 07:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Riggins44@Sep 27 2004, 05:52 PM

Interesting our 2 ST UDFA pick-ups (Kearney and Weaver) don&#39;t make the team, while the STs are struggling. Thanks for the answers guys. I hadn&#39;t seen much from him, so I was questioning this. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe so but you are forgetting about the one UDFA stud that did make the team. Roderick "Gameday" Bryant. (CB)