Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2-0 means absolutely nothing

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I keep seeing fans and critics alike, start to overhype and praise The Jets. Like we just won a superbowl. The only thing that 2-0 guarantees is that The Jets won't go 1-15 this year. That's it.

I am happy with the way, The Jets have started the season but 2 games does not make a season and define a team.

The Giants and Bills were 2-0 last season. How did that end up?..... Both teams didn't even finish the season with winning records. They combined for 10 wins total.

The Jets have been 2-0 or better 5 times since The 70's and all 5 times, They missed the playoffs.

We were 4-0 in 2000 and finished the year at 9 and 7. We went 5 and 7 in our last 12 games.

I think that Jets fans are way too overconfident. I don't think that the players are, The fans are though from what I can tell, from reading this board, the last week or so.

The next two weeks, The Jets step up in class, in my opinion. Especially when it comes to playing good defenses. Both The Dolphins and Bills have very good defensive teams. Both of them are better than The Jets in these areas.

No disrespect but Miami and Buffalo's defense are worlds better than San Diego and Cincy's defenses. The real tests start to come now. We are going to find out what kind of football team,. The Jets have.

The Jets were 1-5 in the division last season. The Fish have beaten us 3 out of their last 4 meetings with us and more importantly, The Jets were a 6 win team last year. I have not seen enough to think that The Jets will be any better this year.

The talent level is clearly better and The Jets have alot of great pieces in place to make a run this year but i gotta see them do it, before I start to talk about playoffs and beyond.

Hall Of Fame
    Very well said............FYI I am not one of the overconfident fans.

I think this game has disappointment written all over it.

I am confident the Jets will prevail. I am certainly not overconfident.

I think the team is moderately optimistic and confident of getting a win. Just the way the team should be.

All Pro
    YJF, the Chargers, Bengals and Phins are the next coming of the 85 Bears, and we are overrating ourselves?? Those are essentially the messages I get from your posts and I think they are very inaccurate.

Listen, I think anything can happen in the NFL. Yes we could go 2-14. But lets be real here. Our first 5 opponents are pretty weak and the Jets, by most people's eyes, have some good talent, excellent balance and have been lucky w/ injuries. They should win these games and that is why we are confident. Can we lose? Of course we can. I just think you are way off-base w/ your posts making these other teams out to be great. What are you gonna compare the Patriots to? God?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

who the heck is overhyping anything?

A fan can't be pleased with a 2-0 start...with the fact that we are the leading scoring team in the league...that we have a RB that had ovr 300 yards in 2 games???

F**K the past....this is 2004 and a new Jets team!

I attended my first Jets game as a kid in 1975......I was at shea for the last Jets game in 1983....I have been a Jets fan for year....been through the good and the bad.

Enough of this BS about the past....this is a total new attitude.

Some of you need to get with the present and stop harping on the past!!!

This is the NFL and anything is possible..........the Chargers beat the Texans who beat the Chiefs....we beat the Chargers. We beat the bengals who beat the Dolphins. Poeple are busy talking about talent etc....this is the NFL and every game is tough.

The Patriots beat the Cardinals by 11 and the Falcons beat the cards by 3 points.

The packers are 1-2
    The Chiefs are 0-3
    The Redskins are 1-2
    The rams are 1-2

THe Jets are 2-0 and they did it because they played to win the game....this week we are going up against a team thats reeling and we'll keep them reeling.

When we beat the Dolphins some on this board will then say " well you only beat a struggling Dolphins team" enough of the BS.....these teams were on our schedule and we got the job done. The Jets had two weeks to prepare and they are ready.

Jets will be 3-0 by weekends end.

Veteran
    Good post, YJF - I think it's too easy for some people to believe the hype. The Jets have beaten two teams that rank near the bottom of the league, and have given up 52 points in the process.

If this team is for real they should be crushing Miami at the weekend, the Bills the following one, and eating the 49'ers for desert the week after that.

The reality is that the 2004 Jets have yet to be tested - I'm enjoying the ride, but they still have a lot to prove.

Veteran
    I'm sure not in the group of over confident Jets fans.

I'm not sold on the Jets Secondary and the DC is learning on the fly. I said before the seaon started that the offense needed to carry this team into mid-season. So far they have performed well but they will have to continue to do so to have a chance to win.

By week 10 we should all have a clearer picture on what the Jets are..

JMO

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by LesterLyles@Sep 28 2004, 03:03 PM
    YJF, the Chargers, Bengals and Phins are the next coming of the 85 Bears, and we are overrating ourselves?? Those are essentially the messages I get from your posts and I think they are very inaccurate.

Listen, I think anything can happen in the NFL. Yes we could go 2-14. But lets be real here. Our first 5 opponents are pretty weak and the Jets, by most people's eyes, have some good talent, excellent balance and have been lucky w/ injuries. They should win these games and that is why we are confident. Can we lose? Of course we can. I just think you are way off-base w/ your posts making these other teams out to be great. What are you gonna compare the Patriots to? God?
    If you read my war and peace type scouting reports. I wasn't making these teams out to be the greatest of all time. I gave fair reports on each of them and I felt that the Jets were better than Cincy and San Diego on paper. Everyone knows that The Jets should have won those games and they did.

Quite frankly, The Jets overall are better than Miami on paper but that doesn't guarantee a victory in The NFL.

The Dolphins have a horrible offense, their o-line stinks and it all starts there. They lost Norv Turner as their OC and this Forrester character has done a terrible job. It doesn't help that they lost Ricky Williams and David Boston and brought in a bunch of players late, Lamar Gordon didn't even know the names of his teammates, let alone the playbook. If The Jets defense is going to be good this year, They have to shut down Miami. The Fish WR's and TE are good. Chambers and Booker are good players and McMichael is a very good TE. The problem is that there is no running game and The QB looks a deer caught in the headlights.

Make no mistake about it, The Dolphins defense is very good. Only two td's given up in 3 games. They've been in every game because of that defense. They are not the type of team that is going to get blown out in games. Their defense is too good for that. One of the reasons for that is because they have great defensive coaching and leadership. They've had the same scheme for the last 7 years or so. Unlike The Jets, everyone on The Miami defense, knows exactly what their roles are and what they are supposed to do.

The Fish defense deserves better than what The Miami offense has given them.

Don't discount The Bills either. Forget about the record. They lost two close games in the final minutes. The Bills defense was ranked in the top 5 in every category last year. I would not be suprised if The Bills knocked off New England this week. I'm telling you, Both AFC East matchups this week are going to be close games decided in the 4th quarter.

I am not making these teams out to be great. The Bills are better than 0-2, Trust me, They will win games this year. Their offense will get better as the season goes along.

Hall Of Fame

wherea re all these OVERCONFIDENT Jets fans??????

All i see are fans that are pleased with a 2-0 start and the fact that we have the chance of knocking the Dolphins down even further...how is that overconfident??

What I see people overhyping our competition....no one is sleeping on ANY team but every week all I see is how we have to be "careful"

Do these teams have to actually be careful about the Jets?????

Why can't we go a week without all this You better be careful hype?

If a Jets fan says that he/she feels confident that the Jets will beat the Dolphins then he/she is then overconfident???? Get Real!!!

The Jets will be facing a 4th string Miami RB that was CUT in the pre season.

Travis Minor is OUT for this week.
    Gordon is not only OUT this week but word has it here in Florida that he might be done for the year.

Know one is overconfident...we just feel the Jets will win.

Veteran
    This is a classic 'let-down' game, but.......

A loss wont break us. A win wont put us in the playoffs.

The way we lose, or the way we win is what I'm concerned about.

1)If we s**t the bed and get blown out...we aint dead, but we are still an unproven team and probably concerned about the defense.

2)If we play well and lose a close, hard fought contest...we aint dead, but were concerned about whatever caused us to NOT blow out an inferior team. It IS the NFL...any given Sunday..blah,blah, blah.

3)If we play well and win....see #2...we still arent playoff bound, but add to that the fact that we were resilient enough to get the 'W'.

4)If we blow them out...we still arent playoff bound...but were pretty damn happy for a number of reasons and can expect to improve for the fourth game in a row.

Honestly?.....I wish I could listen to my own advice...maybe I'd enjoy the game. All four scenarios have us alive and ready to fight another day when the game ends. Hopefully I have offered some relief to some of you.

Me?....I feel like puking right before every snap(kinda like in a 'playoff hockey overtime game' kinda way)

Hall Of Fame

many of you seem to be flat our nervous about sundays game.......why? This is the dolphins who we play twice a year!

The same thing was said before the bengals and Chargers games.

No fear here....confident of a Jets win.

Dolphins are reeling and they can't turn it around in less than a week.

Minor is out and Gordon is also out and maybe for the entire year.

All Pro
    Weren't the Giants 1-1 last year? Cowboys beat them that Monday night game (week 2).

But you are right. 2-0 is meaningless. Only thing it shows is that we beat 2 teams we are supposed to beat. We usually would have blown atleast one of those games.

Rookie
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Sep 28 2004, 10:29 AM

wherea re all these OVERCONFIDENT Jets fans??????

All i see are fans that are pleased with a 2-0 start and the fact that we have the chance of knocking the Dolphins down even further...how is that overconfident??

What I see people overhyping our competition....no one is sleeping on ANY team but every week all I see is how we have to be "careful"

Do these teams have to actually be careful about the Jets?????

Why can't we go a week without all this You better be careful hype?

If a Jets fan says that he/she feels confident that the Jets will beat the Dolphins then he/she is then overconfident???? Get Real!!!

The Jets will be facing a 4th string Miami RB that was CUT in the pre season.

Travis Minor is OUT for this week.
    Gordon is not only OUT this week but word has it here in Florida that he might be done for the year.

Know one is overconfident...we just feel the Jets will win.
    Agreed...please see the post concerning paranoia.

Rookie
    And how exactly will the fans effect the play on the field?

16-0 here we come :ph34r:

All Pro
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Sep 28 2004, 12:03 PM

many of you seem to be flat our nervous about sundays game.......why? This is the dolphins who we play twice a year!

The same thing was said before the bengals and Chargers games.

No fear here....confident of a Jets win.

Dolphins are reeling and they can't turn it around in less than a week.

Minor is out and Gordon is also out and maybe for the entire year.
    Freak, I have said it a few times and I'l say it again> This is how the Jets fan handles success. If we're up two TDs, we can't enjoy it. Instead, we get a nervousness to us. The stadium gets very quiet. If we're 2-0 and we can't enjoy it and we're worried about every single opponent, no matter how bad they may be. That seems to be how Jets fans handle success.

All League
    I'm not looking at the past, nor am I assuming the Jets are Super Bowl bound. I think I, along with most other Jets fans, are simply happy that we haven't been beaten yet, and are looking forward to moving to 3-0 by beating the Dolphins. That's IT.

All League
    2-0 means a TON to a 6-10 team last year.

BZ

Hall Of Fame

I hear you lesterlyles!!!

I mean how the heck can someone say a 2-0 start means nothing????

Veteran
    Last year

Buffalo Bills: 2-0 (BTW their 2 wins were blowout wins, not 7 point squeakers, and against good competition, not the NFL dregs)

New England Patriots: 1-2

How did this turn out.

Hall Of Fame
    Great post YJF. Great post. Very measured and reasonable. Logic is a cold *****, huh?

Banned
    Originally posted by PETER PAT@Sep 28 2004, 03:49 PM
    Last year

Buffalo Bills: 2-0 (BTW their 2 wins were blowout wins, not 7 point squeakers, and against good competition, not the NFL dregs)

New England Patriots: 1-2

How did this turn out.
    let me ask you a question? wtf does the bills' and patriots record last year after a couple of games have to do at all with the jets current season?