Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Stadium Rally Rocks Midtown!

Super*****/Prom Queen
    LABOR LEADERS, PUBLIC OFFICIALS, OLYMPIC MEDALISTS, JETS ALUMNI AND COMMUNITY ACTIVISTS UNITE AT RALLY TO ENDORSE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW YORK SPORTS AND CONVENTION CENTER

- More than 20,000 Supporters Flood the Streets Outside Madison Square Garden –

- Rally Features Surprise Guests: Former Mayor Ed Koch, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Queens Borough President Helen Marshall Among Others -

New York – More than 20,000 supporters – including union members and community activists flooded the streets outside Madison Square Garden yesterday chanting: J-O-B-S, Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! at a rally to support construction of the New York Sports and Convention Center.

Job sites shutdown throughout New York City and workers headed to MSG where a long list of labor leaders, public officials, Olympians, Jets Alumni and community activists spoke to the crowd about the job creation and economic revenue that the new facility will create.

Surprise guest former NYC Mayor Ed Koch, who publicly endorsed the stadium yesterday, drew loud cheers from the crowd as he emerged on stage. Koch was then joined by a broad and diverse coalition of public officials from across New York City. Among them, Queens Borough President Helen Marshall, Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. and Assemblyman Ruben Diaz Jr. publicly endorsed the stadium yesterday as well.

“It is heartening to see such a broad and diverse coalition of New York City leaders and citizens come together to support a project that will generate jobs and revenue for New York and New Yorkers and transform a neighborhood that has been marred by unsightly rail yards for too long,” said Jay Cross, president of the New York Jets.”

The NYSCC will create thousands of jobs for hard working New Yorkers; generate millions of dollars in new annual revenue to help pay for more teachers, cops and firefighters; create new public spaces and waterfront access; and provide New York with a world class venue for events such as the Super Bowl, the Final Four and the 2012 Olympics.

Supporters of West Side Stadium Cheer for Jobs and the Jets (New York Times)
    Thousands of labor union members rallied near Madison Square Garden yesterday afternoon in support of the plan to build a $1.4 billion football stadium for the Jets on the far West Side, a project that supporters say will create thousands of jobs.

Koch declares support for stadium plan (Newsday)
    Adding another formidable name to a list of political backers, former New York City Mayor Ed Koch yesterday endorsed the proposed West Side redevelopment, including a plan to construct a stadium for the Jets football team.

Mike, Koch don Jets Rally Caps (Daily News)
    With the crowd of hardhats chanting, "Build it now" and "We want the stadium," Mayor Bloomberg and former Mayor Ed Koch headlined a rally yesterday championing the construction of a $1.4 billion arena on Manhattan's West Side.

WEST SIDE STADIUM NEW CENTRAL PK.: POL (NY POST)
    September 30, 2004 -- Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff blasted opponents of a West Side football stadium yesterday, likening them to short-sighted critics who tried to stop construction of Central Park more than a century ago.

All League
    So much for the Hype: (even though I've already posted this twice)

Originally posted by Crains New York+September 29, 2004 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Crains New York &#064; September 29, 2004 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Deputy mayor outlines stadium approval process
    by Anne Michaud

Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff outlined the approval process for a &#036;1.4 billion West Side stadium at a Crain’s breakfast forum on Wednesday, saying the Empire State Development Corp. must first publish a general project plan and arrange for public comment.

The ESDC board would then have to approve the stadium, as would the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board, which owns the proposed stadium site at 11th Avenue and West 33rd Street. Finally, the Public Authorities Control Board must approve unanimously. Since that board is comprised of three members, one each appointed by Gov. George Pataki, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, all three will have to agree to the stadium.

Mr. Doctoroff justified the process, which avoids a vote by either the state Legislature or City Council, saying it is typical of projects on state-owned land, such as the rebuilding at Ground Zero. He rejected the idea of a public referendum saying, "We don&#39;t do that in New York."

In addition, Mr. Doctoroff said that a West Side stadium could proceed without an expansion of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, though he prefers to build both. The Javits Center expansion has been deadlocked in the state Assembly over a dispute about putting the project through the city&#39;s land-use approval process. Mr. Doctoroff said he is "pretty confident" that compromise language will be worked out by November, when the Legislature reconvenes, and the Javits Center will win passage then. He said the chances of building the stadium alone are "remote" but that it would be better than building nothing.

Former Mayor Ed Koch endorsed a Jets stadium on Manhattan&#39;s West Side on Wednesday. He was joined by several elected officials, including Queens Borough President Helen Marshall, City Councilman Leroy Comrie, state Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr. and Assemblyman Ruben Diaz Jr. Rep. Greg Meeks, D-Queens, is also expected to endorse the stadium project.
    [/b]

The problem lies with NY State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno and He isn&#39;t going in gang green&#39;s direction:

<!--QuoteBegin-NY Daily News
    @ September 15,2004
    "The verdict is not in yet about putting a stadium on that site," Bruno aide John McArdle said yesterday. "He&#39;s still open, but he&#39;s not convinced it&#39;s a good idea."[/quote]

Link: The stadium&#39;s in trouble : Mike has yet to enlist key supporters,including some Albany bigs

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Hey Baumer, here are a couple of quotes just for you.

"Why is it every time you try and do some good, it&#39;s always the nice people who come along and mess things up." - Fiorello LaGuardia, Mayor of NYC 1933 to 1945.

"The only things new in this world is the history you don&#39;t know." - Herbert Hoover.

"Resistance is futile." - The Borg

Veteran
    Limolady- this just shows the kind of mindless propaganda you&#39;ll regurgitate without thought. The number of people in the Post and Daily News this morning was 2,000, not 20,000. And it was all union workers who were bused in.

I quote the Post article here: "More than 2,000 people, mostly union workers, rallied in favor of the stadium, filling 33rd Street from Eighth Avenue to 11th Avenue. Joining the rally, was former Mayor Ed Koch, who pronounced his support for a Manhattan stadium."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/19844.htm

It&#39;s really pathetic that you just pipe in this utter nonsense. Shame on you.

Banned
    Regen, you and that crazy avatar just relax (by the way, what is that thing?). Limo is psyched and she is pro stadium..how many times have we seen the pro swamp people post things outta context or cite false numbers? It happens on both sides.

Limo vs. Baumer....its no big deal. They are both jets fans. That is what counts.

I personally am pro-NYC Stadium. But, I respect everyone&#39;s opinion. As for Bruno, every politician can be swayed...throw some pork his way and he will be whistling a different tune.

You cant tell me you are pro-Dolan?

LL

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@Sep 30 2004, 01:35 PM
    Regen, you and that crazy avatar just relax (by the way, what is that thing?). Limo is psyched and she is pro stadium..how many times have we seen the pro swamp people post things outta context or cite false numbers? It happens on both sides.

Limo vs. Baumer....its no big deal. They are both jets fans. That is what counts.

I personally am pro-NYC Stadium. But, I respect everyone&#39;s opinion. As for Bruno, every politician can be swayed...throw some pork his way and he will be whistling a different tune.

You cant tell me you are pro-Dolan?

LL
    ok then latin lawyer. my next post:

ONE AND A HALF MILLION NYERS SHOW UP TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR THE STADIUM

Veteran
    LL- There&#39;s a hell of a lot of difference between 2,000 and 20,000. Sooth bans threads that report false trade rumors. This thread should be killed immediately for lying.

Hall Of Fame
    15.7 billion nyers flood the streets of manhatten.....

i have to admit, i was surprised to read 20000 people. thats a big turnout. that packs the nassau colusseum.

and then the truth arrives...........

All Pro
    i love how mayor koch was there - he was one of the reason why Mr Hess left NYC

Veteran
    dickkotitie- it just shows you the legnths that these pro-stadium yahoos will go to support this billionaires assistance program. if they lie about public events, imagine the lies being told about the true costs to the taxpayers.

SHAME ON LIMOLADY FOR HER LIES&#33;&#33;&#33;

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by regen@Sep 30 2004, 02:26 PM
    It&#39;s really pathetic that you just pipe in this utter nonsense. Shame on you.
    Oh, so if it&#39;s in the Daily Rag and the Post, then it must be true.

My sources send me their news quotes and this is the report I received. Had I been there myself, I could refute or argue this point, but I was not. I do have a call in to verify this 411 either way and will let you know the results.

Were you there Regen?

Veteran
    Originally posted by dickkotite@Sep 30 2004, 01:41 PM

i have to admit, i was surprised to read 20000 people. thats a big turnout. that packs the nassau colusseum.

Actually 16,297 packs the Nassau Colisseum. Unfortunately there won&#39;t be any hockey this year. Just because the Post says 2000, doesn&#39;t mean it wasn&#39;t 20000. The Post is about as innaccurate as any paper in the country. In fact, it is one step above the national enquirer. I subscribe to the Post, but just for the sports section. Good article about Vilma today. When my subway ride takes longer than normal and I have to read other parts of the post, I get disgusted. It is truly an awful paper.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by regen@Sep 30 2004, 01:26 PM
    Limolady- this just shows the kind of mindless propaganda you&#39;ll regurgitate without thought. The number of people in the Post and Daily News this morning was 2,000, not 20,000. And it was all union workers who were bused in.

As soon as I read Limo&#39;s original post, I wondered how far down I would have to scroll before seeing a rebuttal from baumer or regen.

From an outsider, you folks are making this debate very entertaining.

Talk about propaganda spin from boths sides. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by jetsmets+Sep 30 2004, 01:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetsmets @ Sep 30 2004, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dickkotite@Sep 30 2004, 01:41 PM

Actually 16,297 packs the Nassau Colisseum. Unfortunately there won&#39;t be any hockey this year. Just because the Post says 2000, doesn&#39;t mean it wasn&#39;t 20000. The Post is about as innaccurate as any paper in the country. In fact, it is one step above the national enquirer. I subscribe to the Post, but just for the sports section. Good article about Vilma today. When my subway ride takes longer than normal and I have to read other parts of the post, I get disgusted. It is truly an awful paper. [/b][/quote]
    like i said...20k PACKS the coluseum

it was probably around 3,500

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by regen@Sep 30 2004, 02:44 PM
    dickkotitie- it just shows you the legnths that these pro-stadium yahoos will go to support this billionaires assistance program. if they lie about public events, imagine the lies being told about the true costs to the taxpayers.

SHAME ON LIMOLADY FOR HER LIES&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Speaking of bulls**t Regen, here is a copy of the Daily News article. Can you show me where is says that only 2,000 people showed up for the Rally?

MIKE, KOCH DON JETS RALLY CAPS

BY MICHAEL SAUL
    DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

With the crowd of hardhats chanting, "Build it now" and "We want the stadium," Mayor Bloomberg and former Mayor Ed Koch headlined a rally yesterday championing the construction of a &#036;1.4 billion arena on Manhattan&#39;s West Side.
    "It will make New York City money," said Alexander Sudano, 47, of Brooklyn, who belongs to Laborers Local 79. "Build it, and the people will come."

"It&#39;s great to be with a group that knows that they want: J-O-B-S. Jobs&#33; Jobs&#33; Jobs&#33;" Bloomberg shouted, echoing the rallying cry of the Jets football team, which would play in the new venue. The project would cost the Jets &#036;800 million and the city and state &#036;300 million each.

"And we aren&#39;t going to let any company&#39;s selfish interest take away our future," Bloomberg told the crowd of thousands, mostly union members, gathered on W. 33rd St. near Eighth Ave. "Cablevision, are you listening? Let&#39;s go get &#39;em."

Other speakers at the rally blasted the cable TV giant, the owner of nearby Madison Square Garden and the chief opponent of the proposed stadium, which also is the centerpiece of the city&#39;s bid for the 2012 Olympics.

"They just don&#39;t want competition," Koch, who endorsed the arena project yesterday, told The News.

The New York Association for Better Choices, a Cablevision-backed group, released a statement saying the union members "should be at City Hall protesting the mayor" for linking the popular Javits Convention Center expansion proposal to the stadium plan.

At a breakfast forum yesterday, Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff conceded that the city&#39;s grand plans for the far West Side - the stadium, 13,000 new apartments and 26 million square feet of new office space - would increase traffic there.

Hall Of Fame
    guesstimating a crowd is hard to do.....

i remember whitey back in the day trying to make it out as if there were only half of the people who turned out for the "million man march" in DC. meanwhile, alls that my eyes could see in every single direction in every nook and cranny for miles was a black guy

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Limolady@Sep 30 2004, 01:47 PM

My sources send me their news quotes and this is the report I received. Had I been there myself, I could refute or argue this point

A limo classic.

i dont know which line is funnier, the first or the second

Veteran
    Limo, of course I wasn&#39;t there. Why would I go to a pro-stadium event?

I can&#39;t belive you think two major papers are lying. You&#39;re wrong, and you&#39;re just regurgitating Woody&#39;s lying propaganda. You&#39;d get more credibility if you just admitted you were wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    ill bet shes like batman and has a secret cave with computers everywhere sending her info

and a red phone that lights up when terry or woody need their nails done

Veteran
    Limo, you&#39;re unbelievable. You quote "And we aren&#39;t going to let any company&#39;s selfish interest take away our future," Bloomberg told the crowd of thousands, mostly union members, gathered on W. 33rd St. near Eighth Ave.

That&#39;s "thousands" in the article, not "tens of thousands". And again, all union members.

ADMIT YOUR DECEPTION&#33;&#33;