Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Mt. St. Helene's erupts

Rookie
    All over the news. Volcano began erupting 40 mins. ago

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    where's a link. Just checked cnn and a couple others....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2@Oct 1 2004, 03:42 PM
    where's a link. Just checked cnn and a couple others....
    That wasn't Mt. St. Helen, it was H Wayne blowing a gasket

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    never mind, I found one

http://www.local6.com/weather/3777376/detail.html

....Wayne H. blowing a gasket, that's pretty funny.

Rookie
    Just check msn, they're giving minute-minute updates

from what i just read it was just a smoke cloud?? it fully erupted??

Veteran
    BIG FREEKIN DEAL! TRY 4 HURRICANES IN 6 WEEKS!!

Finally got power last night at 5:00 so excuse me if I'm a bit cranky.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by BucJeff@Oct 1 2004, 04:01 PM

Im with you...eough already

TomShane
    Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Wars...The end of the World? Where are our Nostradamus guys?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

after sweating out Charley, Ivan & Frances, we go to San Diego to get away from Jeanne...not only does it stall off the coast & wait for us to get back, but guess what movie they show on the plane?

go on, guess.....

give up?......

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW............AARGH!!!!! !!!!

Banned
    a full blown eruption of a volcano is seriously the scariest natural disaster i could think of...im sure not everyone thinks so but for me it is the only one i would NOT want to be around...

All League
    The big one is still to come. It could wipe out a lot of North West USA. I used to study climatology and volcanic eruptions came up quite a bit. Very serious and not to be taken lightly. We haven't seen a big volcanic eruption for a very long time and we are more than overdue. Tommy Lee Jones won't be able to help you.

All League
    Originally posted by BucJeff@Oct 1 2004, 03:01 PM

You're excused, but the point is, its a historical event....and the weather is, to say the least, a bit strange lately. Could these hurricanes, the volcano and global warming be linked? Who the hell knows. But if it is, its time to start worrying, again.

Veteran
    Rats...I thought this was a JI Girl Next Door thread.

Who cares about a smoky rock in Washington?

All Pro
    that sounds to me like our erik Coleman`s gonna explode
    on them dolphins...WOW!

Banned
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Oct 1 2004, 10:33 PM
    The big one is still to come. It could wipe out a lot of North West USA. I used to study climatology and volcanic eruptions came up quite a bit. Very serious and not to be taken lightly. We haven't seen a big volcanic eruption for a very long time and we are more than overdue. Tommy Lee Jones won't be able to help you.
    I hear the BIG one will be centered over Yellowstone Park and that The WEST will never be the same after that blows...its a HUGE one waiting to happen and it could have global consequeneces....

LL

All League
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Oct 1 2004, 09:33 PM
    I remember when that volcano erupted in 1980. People in the area thought it was a joke. Mountain kept spewing smoke and ash... people thought it was a joke.

Trees kept falling over dead for no apprent reason... people thought it was a joke.

No snow would form on the mountaintop... it was a joke.

A giant bulge formed along the side of the mountain, that kept getting bigger and bigger by the week... people thought it was a joke.

Gas levels kept rising in the atmosphere... it was all a joke.

Volcano erupted, forest was destroyed, and people lost their lives... all for what was thought to be a joke.

Its gonna blow again. Been quiet for a long time. No noise, no smoke... no nothing.
    At least the volcanoes that make up the Hawaiian Islands are active and constant. Not that an erupting volcano is a good thing, but at least one that is constantly relieving its pressure is less likely to have a major explosion.

Mt St Helens is gonna erupt. Anyone dumb enough to get killed this time deserves it.

Does anyone happen to remember seeing the slow motion camera shot of the entire side of the mountain exploding out towards the sides when it erupted???? That was excellent footage.

All League
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@Oct 2 2004, 05:47 PM
    I hear the BIG one will be centered over Yellowstone Park and that The WEST will never be the same after that blows...its a HUGE one waiting to happen and it could have global consequeneces....

LL
    I read about that one. There's going to be more 6 foot of ash covering everything in a 1,500 mile radius, lava everywhere for a 200 mile radius, total blackout of the sun, total eradication of humans.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There is a Mt. St Helens Webcam. It is a static image that reloads every 5 minutes. The closest camera to the vulcano. CLICK HERE FOR WEBCAM

All League
    Originally posted by jesper stromblad rules+Oct 2 2004, 03:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jesper stromblad rules @ Oct 2 2004, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-latinlawyer@Oct 2 2004, 05:47 PM

LL
    I read about that one. There&#39;s going to be more 6 foot of ash covering everything in a 1,500 mile radius, lava everywhere for a 200 mile radius, total blackout of the sun, total eradication of humans. [/b][/quote]
    That area of the continental US has been a little too quiet in terms of volcanic eruptions. If it does really go off, then a large part of the Pacific Northwest will be simply gone. It will affect the entire planet in terms of ash and debris in the atmosphere, and if the debris can penetrate up into the stratosphere then expect some strange weather around the world. It could also trigger some earthquakes in CA.

Could happen soon, could happen in 100s years or more.