Thread: Practice Squad Roster Moves

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

The New York Jets announced today they have signed wide receiver Chas Gessner and guard Jason Nerys to their practice squad and have released wide receiver Carl Kearney and safety Jarrell Weaver from their practice squad.

Chas Gessner is a 6-4, 215-pound wide receiver from Brown University who was released by the New England Patriots at the end of training camp on September 5, 2004. He was originally signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent following the 2003 NFL Draft on May 2, 2003 and spent the majority of the 2003 season on New Englandís practice squad. Gessner was allocated to NFL Europe this past spring and garnered All-League honors after registering 38 catches for 566 yards (14.9 avg.). He also was tied for the League-high in touchdown receptions with six. During the 2004 preseason, Gessner tallied 52 yards on six receptions for the Patriots.

Jason Nerys, from 2004 Division I-AA national champion University of Delaware, signed with the Jets as a rookie free agent following the 2004 NFL Draft. Nerys, a 6-2, 310-pound native of Waldwick, NJ and Don Bosco Prep HS alum, was a Division I-AA All-America selection as a senior while with the Blue Hens. Nerys played in all four preseason games while with the Jets and was released on September 4, 2004 after final cuts. This is his second stint on the Jetsí practice squad as he was signed on September 14 but was then released on September 24.

Jarrell Weaver, a 6-3, 206-pound defensive back, originally joined the Jets as a rookie free agent on April 30, 2004 and was waived following the conclusion of training camp on August 28, 2004. Weaver appeared in three preseason games this year and recorded seven tackles in addition to one special teams tackle. He was signed to the Jetsí practice squad on September 21.

6-1, 213-pound wide receiver Carl Kearney signed with the Jets as a rookie free agent from NCAA Division I-AA powerhouse Georgia Southern. Kearney completed his collegiate career with 22 receptions for 457 yards (20.8 avg.) and two touchdowns and added 196 yards on 12 kickoff returns, along with 37 special teams tackles. Kearney saw action in two preseason games for the Jets and recorded one special teams tackle at Indianapolis.

The New York Jets (3-0) host divisional rival Buffalo (0-3) this Sunday at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ. Kickoff is slated for 4:05 p.m.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Nerys played in all four preseason games while with the Jets and was released on September 4, 2004 after final cuts. This is his second stint on the Jetsí practice squad as he was signed on September 14 but was then released on September 24.

Poor Jason, thank goodness he doesn't live that far from NY. I hope he didn't bother to unpack the last time they gave him the boot. :lol:

Rookie
    Sucks they cut Weaver again. That kid is good. Looks like they are going to rotate the same guys off and on all season. Bradway: THIS IS NOT FANTASY FOOTBALL

All League
    Originally posted by No1JetFan@Oct 5 2004, 09:36 AM
    Sucks they cut Weaver again. That kid is good. Looks like they are going to rotate the same guys off and on all season. Bradway: THIS IS NOT FANTASY FOOTBALL
    it's the practice squad. why do you care? i'm sure the jets know what they're doing. PS players are marginal players at best anyway. it's not like cutting weaver ends the season. calm down.

Banned
    Originally posted by No1JetFan@Oct 5 2004, 10:36 AM
    I agree, dont mess around with Weaver. That kid is fast as hell and a good hitter...you cant teach speed. Keep him on the PS and stop fooling around.

LL

Veteran
    obviously they aren't seeing in Weaver everything we are. could it be talent, as in a lack of it. speed is great but skills count.

Rookie
    Originally posted by latinlawyer+Oct 5 2004, 08:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (latinlawyer &#064; Oct 5 2004, 08:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-No1JetFan@Oct 5 2004, 10:36 AM
    I agree, dont mess around with Weaver. That kid is fast as hell and a good hitter...you cant teach speed. Keep him on the PS and stop fooling around.

LL[/b][/quote]
    LL, I concur. The kid was great in the preseason. I think it boils down to politics and keeping draft picks regardless of how they pan out, and regardless of whether or not FAs could get the job done better. So, no LAJET, I don&#39;t think it was a matter of talent (or lack thereof) but more of politics. In addition, they want as many relationships as posible come camp next year. He&#39;ll (Weaver will) be back the way Bradway operates, but Bradway should stop fooling around. One of these days his push &#39;em in, push &#39;em out and keep &#39;em under other teams radars (by releasing them) is going to bite him in the ass. I think had they left Weaver on the PS with all these Safety injuries around the league, he would&#39;ve goten plucked. The found a way to try and prevent that.

All League
    Originally posted by No1JetFan@Oct 5 2004, 09:36 AM
    Actually, I like the idea of a revolving practice squad.

It allows the Jets to look closely at a lot of different players, with next years camp in mind. I don&#39;t believe anyone else will pick Weaver up, at least I hope not, IMO the kid has a lot of talent, but is a major project.