Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herm's 4th And Inches Decision

All Pro
    We all remember the 4th and about a foot play just inside Bills territory. Too far for a FG but perhaps too close for a punt.

At that point the offense is moving the ball, at least 2-4 yards per carry/play and the defense is dominating.

Do you go for it?

Herm didn't and although hindsight is 20/20 I was a little upset we didn't. Yeah it's easy for me to sit here and play monday morning QB but I thought that with the momentum the Jets had, the progress and confidence we were playing with, Herm should have went for it.

What y'all think?

Veteran
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 11 2004, 10:09 AM
    We all remember the 4th and about a foot play just inside Bills territory. Too far for a FG but perhaps too close for a punt.

At that point the offense is moving the ball, at least 2-4 yards per carry/play and the defense is dominating.

Do you go for it?

Herm didn't and although hindsight is 20/20 I was a little upset we didn't. Yeah it's easy for me to sit here and play monday morning QB but I thought that with the momentum the Jets had, the progress and confidence we were playing with, Herm should have went for it.

What y'all think?
    Did you catch the GIANT VS. DALLAS game?
    Great calls when it works.

Veteran
    i would've gone for it.
    there really wasn't a choice IMO, but they won and that's all that matters.
    winning makes it the right desicion.
    hopefully, herm keeps making the right choices.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I would have gone for it also.....

Rookie
    Originally posted by chops44@Oct 11 2004, 10:12 AM

winning makes it the right desicion.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Veteran
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 11 2004, 10:09 AM

Do you go for it?

What y'all think?
    What play would you have called?

All Pro
    well of course.

just thinking about herm's decision making process and when he feels it's time to take a gamble

All Pro
    Originally posted by D-BYRD+Oct 11 2004, 10:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (D-BYRD @ Oct 11 2004, 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 11 2004, 10:09 AM

Do you go for it?

Herm didn&#39;t and although hindsight is 20/20 I was a little upset we didn&#39;t. Yeah it&#39;s easy for me to sit here and play monday morning QB but I thought that with the momentum the Jets had, the progress and confidence we were playing with, Herm should have went for it.

What y&#39;all think?
    What play would you have called? [/b][/quote]
    either the jumbo package with a dive up the middle but probably the old pennington-sowell play action bootleg special

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

I probably would have gone for it but I have no problems with him not.

Not many bad calls when you are 4-0

Banned
    I would have gone for it on

a) QB Sneak

or

B) a PA throw to TE Baker for a 5 yd gain.

LL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I didn&#39;t have a problem with it. Sometimes the conservative route is the right and smart thing to do.

Look at The Dallas game, Ask Parcells whether or not, He&#39;d change his mind after going for it twice on 4th and short.

On paper, 4th and a yard sounds easy but it&#39;s not. It&#39;s easier to pick up a yard on 1st and 10 than it is on 4th and 1. It&#39;s just the way it is.

I liked the way that The Jets made it appear like they were going for it. Herm actually pulled a Pacino on the sidelines. I really bought into that sequence.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Should have gone for it, what does it say to your offensive line that you don`t have faith in them getting 1 stinking yard , MAEWAE & KENDELL have done enough for the team this year for HERM to taken a chance on them..

All Pro
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Oct 11 2004, 10:30 AM
    I didn&#39;t have a problem with it. Sometimes the conservative route is the right and smart thing to do.

Look at The Dallas game, Ask Parcells whether or not, He&#39;d change his mind after going for it twice on 4th and short.

On paper, 4th and a yard sounds easy but it&#39;s not. It&#39;s easier to pick up a yard on 1st and 10 than it is on 4th and 1. It&#39;s just the way it is.

I liked the way that The Jets made it appear like they were going for it. Herm actually pulled a Pacino on the sidelines. I really bought into that sequence.
    lol a pacino Voach D&#39;Amato

any 4th down play is a gutsy call.

but w/ this ol i think u give em a chance

All League
    This team always plays scared.....I knew they would not go for it....

Waterboy
    Punting was the absolute positively right thing to do there. We were (I believe) winning 10-0 at that point and our D was shutting the Bills down. If we failed to convert that, the Bills would have had the ball around the 45 going into the wind. By punting, we pinned them back at the 11 yd line and forced them to have to go 89 yds. I know alot of you weren&#39;t at the game so you probably didn&#39;t realize this watching on tv, the wind was HOWLING down on the field. There was about a 15-20 mph steady wind blowing from endzone to endzone. The only score of the game going into the wind as Brien&#39;s game winning kick. Both teams had a very difficult time moving the ball into the wind. Pinning BUF deep kept the field position in our favor, and if I&#39;m not mistaken forced BUF to punt into the wind which resulted in Santana&#39;s nice punt return. All due to the wind, nd the right call by Herm.

All Pro
    anyone else somewhat pleased with gowin so far?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

Ash how can you say that the Jets were "playing scared" by not going for it?

Supposed te Bills somehow stopped the jets and then went down and scored?
    If that happened then all hell would be breaking lose right now&#33;

Good call by Herm.

Veteran
    The defense was playing terrific - Herm made the right call - he put the game in the hands of the unit that was playing best.

All Pro
    it&#39;s a tough call. there are valid points for both sides.

chad needs to learn the favre head bob w/. hard count technique perhaps

Banned
    We won the game...regardless of that decision by Herm to punt.

However, looking back you never know what could have happened...i mean

If Brein hits the FG in the first qtr its 3-0 (3 Points)
    If Baker doesnt fumble we at least get 3 points
    If C.Penn doesnt over throw baker on the game winning drive the score would have been 20-14.

Either way, we won. We are one of three undefeated teams left in the NFL. We are not the Bills nor the Fins. We are keeping pace with NE.

LL