Thread: Vilma's Weekly Diary Update

All Pro
    Coming from behind a good sign

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Jonathan Vilma
    Special to ESPN.com

This past Sunday we played the Bills and the highlight of the game for me was getting to play against Travis Henry and Willis McGahee. I obviously knew Willis from UM, but I got to know Travis pretty well during the summer at a shoot for Under Armour. We talked then about playing against each other and we knew it would be fun. I was definitely talking some trash to him during the game, of course, he was giving it right back.

I've been wanting to play against Willis since he left UM. I was really interested to see how he looked and was glad to see that he looked good. He ran well against us and I'm just glad that his knee is better. As long as his knee is good, you know he's going to be doing alright.

Sunday was a big win for us. It was the first time we were down in a game and it was good to see how everyone reacted. It was good to see everyone confident and not have anyone bickering or doubting each other.

That's not going to be the only close game that we have this season. We were actually dominating for three quarters, but they got back into it late to take the lead. But we came together and just said this is what we have to do and then we got it done.

We're now 2-0 in the division, and winning division games is huge.

Not sure if all of you saw it, but I had a chance at my first interception near the end of the game, but couldn't come down with the ball. I think it was too good to be true, that's why I didn't make it. I want my first to be some spectacular play that I return for a TD or something.

As for this week, we're just getting ready for the 49ers. Coach Edwards told us that he puts the season into quarters. We were perfect in the first quarter, but now we're heading into the second quarter and he wants to see how we're going to handle it -- it's a challenge.

All League
    This guy is going to turn out to be one of (if not THE) best draft picks in franchise history. Talk about a kid with his head in exactly the right place. He brings it on and off the field. I saw no drop off in our run stopping ability when he took over for Sam, in fact, dare I say, it improved???

All League
    GREAT READ!!!

I LOVE THIS KID!!

All Pro
    I really like the part how everyone handled being behind. It's obviously not going to go our way every game so showing the ability to rebound when the chips are down are important.

Veteran
    I like that he tries to sound cool and even-keeled but his enthusiasm and excitement keeps sneaking in.

A great addition to our team in every respect.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... this seems to be turning into a pretty solid draft ... so far it looks like 2 stars in coleman & vilma ... strait has been solid ... cotchery -still to see ... not sure if the ol guys will develop & the other u of m linebacker on specials ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Everytime I read these things they seemed so smart and so polished. And then I realize, they're on the Jets officila website. Can you say PR writer?

He does strike me as a smart guy but...

All Pro
    Originally posted by LAJET@Oct 12 2004, 03:51 PM
    Everytime I read these things they seemed so smart and so polished. And then I realize, they're on the Jets officila website. Can you say PR writer?

Vilma is a smart cat.

Veteran
    Originally posted by LAJET@Oct 12 2004, 03:51 PM

They come from ESPN.com not newyorkjets.com

All Pro
    I wish he had caught that ball for an INT - he still had a great game tho'

Banned
    Interesting read..looks like you guys got a good one on your hands. I cannot wait to see him first hand when he comes to Gillette. I love inside stuff like this..no matter what the team

Waterboy
    Sorry, but Vilma's Diary doesn't hold a candle to E. Coleman's.

Banned
    Originally posted by ARJet@Oct 12 2004, 06:21 PM
    Sorry, but Vilma's Diary doesn't hold a candle to E. Coleman's.

did colemans come out so far this week?

did drob have a diary last year like vilma does this year?

Waterboy
    Coleman's is out every Friday morning, and it is on the official site. I'm just saying that week to week, it's written better, is more in depth, and Coles is better spoken.

I don't remember them doing anything with Rob last year.

Hall Of Fame
    No wonder Belichick wanted this kid.

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Oct 12 2004, 02:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Oct 12 2004, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LAJET@Oct 12 2004, 03:51 PM
    Everytime I read these things they seemed so smart and so polished. And then I realize, they&#39;re on the Jets officila website. Can you say PR writer?

Vilma is a smart cat. [/b][/quote]
    Watch an interview with this kid, then you will realize what Guns says is on the money about Vilma. He is smart, well-spoken and if you listen to what Herm says, you realize that he is learning from Herm and echoing his sentiments in his diaries...