Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOU...PLAY...TO...WIN...THE GAME!

Waterboy
    I swear, I can't listen to 1050 ESPN radio for more than a few hours during the week and not hear Herms famous quotes.

Well usually thanks to Michael Kay's board op Joey Salvia's original song using the quotes

Now, one day I was on a Mets list and I brought up a topic that was brought up by Don LaGreca and the response, from a big Jet fan, was "Who the F is Don LaGreca?" which I took to wonder just how much attention 1050 has been getting, and considering I can't get "We play to win the game! HELLO!? YOU! PLAY! TO! WIN! THE! GAME! You don't play just to play it!" out of my head thanks to listening to the station

Its in my head so much I want to break it out to Jet fans at work after Jet loses (I thought YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME)

I mean do Jet fans know Don LaGreca and Greg Buttle are doing a pre and post game radio report before and after every game? I know the majority of fans probably listen to 770 since they still are on that station and 1050 is doing more of a simulcast, but still, 1050 being a sports station I'd thought that sports fans would tune to them before/after games rather than keeping the social commentary talk on WABC

Steve

TomShane
    Steve, what the f**k are you talking about?

Waterboy
    Originally posted by TomShane@Oct 30 2004, 08:22 PM
    When Herm started he stated in a press confrence as an answer to some question about why he did a play he rather emphatically said "We play to win the game. HELLO? YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! You don't play just to play it!"

It turned into a life of its own on 1050 ESPN radio in New York (1050 on the AM dial) where Wally Mathews and Tom Keegan (weekdays 4pm-6pm) have Herm on every week (contracted segment currently on Thursdays at 5pm) and Keegan often does a Herm imitiation along with their board op playing segments of that quote

Ditto with Michael Kay's (yes the Yankee announcer) show from 10am to 1pm whenever he talks about the Jets. About the only local programing on the station that doesn't feature that quote when Jet talk is on the air is the Brandon Tiernney show from 10pm to 12am

But this year it got kicked up a notch when Kay's board op Joey Salvia, who is a professional wedding DJ and does singing "bits" for the show and station, did a original song version of the quote and it goes like this:

(hard driven guitar, probably Springsteen style)
    You play to win the game
    You don't play just to play it
    If you got something to say
    Well boy just say it
    You play to WIN THE GAME...

Here is an audio clip from 1050espnradio.com Click on Joey's page for it and other bits

So basically you are telling me I'm being driven crazy by a station that isn't being paid much attention to and by a quote that isn't as famous as this station wants it to be, despite it being the title to Herm's motivation book

Steve

TomShane

Waterboy
    Originally posted by TomShane@Oct 30 2004, 08:53 PM
    New York city sports radio

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by TomShane@Oct 30 2004, 10:53 PM
    yeah, what he said

Waterboy
    Originally posted by isired+Oct 30 2004, 08:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (isired &#064; Oct 30 2004, 08:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane@Oct 30 2004, 10:53 PM
    yeah, what he said [/b][/quote]
    Great now I feel like an a**hole for listening to a stupid radio station too much

One with horrible raitings no less

All Pro
    Originally posted by Steve J Rogers+Oct 30 2004, 10:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve J Rogers &#064; Oct 30 2004, 10:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by isired@Oct 30 2004, 08:58 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane
    @Oct 30 2004, 10:53 PM

yeah, what he said
    Great now I feel like an a**hole for listening to a stupid radio station too much

One with horrible raitings no less [/b][/quote]
    Most metro-NY people here listen to 1050 ESPN radio. We just have no clue what the fricken hell you are trying to ask us....

BTW, welcome to the board&#33; Best damn Jets board or NFL board there is. You will enjoy it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Steve J Rogers+Oct 30 2004, 10:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve J Rogers @ Oct 30 2004, 10:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane

yeah, what he said

One with horrible raitings no less [/b][/quote]
    Steve.........they are busting your chops...........continue posting and welcome.....

Waterboy
    Originally posted by BergenJet+Oct 30 2004, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BergenJet @ Oct 30 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Steve J Rogers@Oct 30 2004, 10:59 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane

yeah, what he said

Most metro-NY people here listen to 1050 ESPN radio. We just have no clue what the fricken hell you are trying to ask us.... [/b][/quote]
    Wheither "You Play To Win The Game" actually deserves the status that it has on the station.

Is it akin to Pedro&#39;s "Call The Yankees My Daddy" or any other legendary sound bite quotes through the years

All League
    Welcome Steve. chop busting is part of the initiation. :lol: they mean no harm --- except for TomShane. watch your back with him.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by jetgirl+Oct 30 2004, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgirl @ Oct 30 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane

yeah, what he said

Steve.........they are busting your chops...........continue posting and welcome..... [/b][/quote]
    Oh I know that, I&#39;m just annoyed that I have this song in my head that might be nothing more than an very inside joke

Steve

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Steve J Rogers+Oct 30 2004, 11:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve J Rogers @ Oct 30 2004, 11:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by jetgirl@Oct 30 2004, 09:18 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane

yeah, what he said

Steve.........they are busting your chops...........continue posting and welcome.....
    Oh I know that, I&#39;m just annoyed that I have this song in my head that might be nothing more than an very inside joke

Steve [/b][/quote]
    What song is that? Sweet Caroline? :lol:

I agree with Greengal.......watch your back with TomShane.........that was his poor pathetic display of making a pass at you.........he&#39;s still not sure if he&#39;s gay or not.......not that there&#39;s anything wrong with that but still.............

All Pro
    Steve buddy, just an FYI... just on the off chance that you didn&#39;t know this already...

YOU...PLAY...TO...WIN...THE GAME&#33;

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

HELLO?

All Pro
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Oct 30 2004, 11:26 PM
    HELLO?
    Hello Jumba.... :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hello Jumba........ :lol:

All Pro
    Fine... be like that jg... say hello to jumba and not the rest of us.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Steve, I listen to 1050 and I&#39;ve never heard that song. You gonna be alright, bud?

Hall Of Fame
    steve rojers jetgirl and greengal are my property. hello