Thread: Saturday Night Football

Practice Squad
    In the announcement Tagliabue made about the CBS & Fox extention, it mentioned moving more games to Saturdays and possibly Thursdays (yes I know the article was already posted).

How is this all going to work? Is it going to be arbitrary?

The whole spin of Thursday Night Football, I'm not so sure about. I think that would just be way to hard on the teams. When they play on Monday, the shortened week already has a huge affect. Maybe if they could arrange Bye weeks to coincide with these games it would workout.

Saturday Night football, I love. The Pats game last year was a ton of fun and I was a little disappointed there wasnt another Saturday game late in the season this year. I think that could actually work.

Any thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Man bring it on any night. The only problem I can see with more thursday night games is that since many bookies like to get paid on Friday afterrnoon, more betters will get their asses kicked on the Thursday game trying to win back their losses from Sunday and Monday. Thats their problem though.

Kangaroo F*cker
    From a TV point of view I would watch NFL Football any day of the week but as a season ticket holder I don't like Sunday, Monday or Thursday night games. You have to leave work early and then usually go into work late the next day as the games don't finish until after midnight and I don't usually get home until 2AM.

Saturday afternoon (4PM) and night games? Bring them on! No work on Sunday means I can sleep in and then flip the TV on to watch the regular Sunday games.

If I made the schedule every Pats home game would be at 4PM on Saturday!

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

We got bad tuesday night college games, so why not?

All League
    Originally posted by Gainzo@Nov 9 2004, 11:13 AM
    From a TV point of view I would watch NFL Football any day of the week
    i spend tues - sat ...waiting for FB so i would welcome NFL games on other nights.

but i can understand how season ticket holders would feel differently.

All Pro
    Saturday is college football property. Between the conference games and the bowls, yeah it would probably work.

Banned
    Are you crazy?

of course...Would you watch LSU Vs BYU or The Bengals @ Arizona...ill take the NFL everytime.

Ill take Monday,Thursday,saturday and sunday

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by greengal@Nov 9 2004, 02:16 PM
    but i can understand how season ticket holders would feel differently.
    You know, I hadn't even thought of this. On second thought, keep it to sundays with an occaisonal monday or saturday. It would also have to be done on both teams' bye weeks. Nevermind.

All League
    I'm all for the addition of Saturday evening/night games, but those Thursday games suck IMO. Keep it to the weekends - keep Sundays special, don't dillute the product by spreading it too thin and making it seem like it's always on. Plus, I also share the objections of everyone else when it comes to attending Thur. night games. Too much.

All League
    Originally posted by KAJK27@Nov 9 2004, 11:05 AM
    In the announcement Tagliabue made about the CBS & Fox extention, it mentioned moving more games to Saturdays and possibly Thursdays (yes I know the article was already posted).

How is this all going to work? Is it going to be arbitrary?

The whole spin of Thursday Night Football, I'm not so sure about. I think that would just be way to hard on the teams. When they play on Monday, the shortened week already has a huge affect. Maybe if they could arrange Bye weeks to coincide with these games it would workout.

Saturday Night football, I love. The Pats game last year was a ton of fun and I was a little disappointed there wasnt another Saturday game late in the season this year. I think that could actually work.

Any thoughts?
    Thursday and Saturday games will not be played until December after the college regular season is over. ESPN does a few Thursday night games and Fox and CBS broadcast Saturday games late in the year. This is a new package which will eliminate the Thursday and Saturday games broadcast by ESPN and the two networks and is strictly to add another package for the NFL coffers.

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    NO NO NO. God created Sundays for football. Don't change God's creation. Monday night is fine. An OCCASIONAL Thursday night game like they use to because of the World Series is fine as well as December Sat. games. Leave it at that. Why are they always changing such a beautiful thing. SUNDAYS= A BUNCH OF NFL GAMES not some NFL games. Leave Thurs nights and Saturdays to college. It's a great thing right now. Don't rock the boat.

Practice Squad
    I'll chip in from the fringe of the 18th.

I like that ESPN has college football games on just about everyday (or so it seems)

And I don't know about you, but my ass is in my fav sports bar at 10 AM pacific every Sunday doing my best exorcist neck exercises trying to catch everything going on. And it's a lot at once.

I'd have no problem with the NFL spreading this out over the week.

Especially once the byes are finished and we have even more games each Sunday.

How about no more than 4 games on at any given time? (not including overlaps)

cheers,
    Doug S.

Veteran
    I spend too much time parked in front of the TV to watch sports as it is.......

All League
    No more Monday morning hangovers or scurrying around on Saturday to get beer for a Sunday 1:00pm game. Bring it on !!!!!!